Are my thoughts the correct way to go

• Hi all, I'm about to install OMV5 having just finished my build.

The storage I have is as follows

32gb Thumb drive

500gig NVME M.2

3 & 4tb wd red drives

3 & 4tb normal seagates.

I was thinking about installing onto the thumb drive, putting the dockers onto the NVME drive. Using union fs to join the two reds together and then joining the two normal drives together assuming this is possible so ending up with two 7tb drives and then using the reds as storage and the normal drives for backup. Does any of that sound like the way forward.

If this seems correct would I put the appdata folder on the Dockers drive or on the storage drive. As you can probably tell this is the first time of using OMV or anything like it. So any help would be gratefully received. Also if there is any other shared folders that need to go in a particular place this would be useful to know. I have spent the last few days watching all of the videos and got confused with the folders, maybe watching all of the videos in one go did not help me. =O

Sorry if you have all been asked this to many times already, I have searched but may have missed it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your plan sounds good to me.

I would keep everything related to docker on the NVME. Of course it all depends on what you are going to put on that drive.. If you use for example plex and have many media the space might be not enough, but that depends also on the settings you are using within plex.

For the backup on the seagates have a look at rsnapshot and borg backup.

For backup of clients on the NAS I use UrBackup and for remote backup to pCloud I use Duplicati.

For your backup strategy also have a look at the 3-2-1 backup strategy (linked in my signature).

• Thanks macom for your input. I have set it up as mentioned and I have set up Plex and it seems to be working which is great. I am having a problem though. I want to copy my metadata files from my old plex server to this new one, which I though would be easy, not so much.

I have the config folder shared so I can see it on my windows 10 PC and I have the share set up for read and write everyone. I can browse into the folder and all of the subfolders so I figured all was going to go well. This is where it ended, it won't let me copy the files in, it comes up with you need permission to perform this action. Which I do not understand based on everyone can read and write, I'm sure *I am doing something daft but can't think what.

• Thanks again macom I had messed up a permission. Steep learning curve but getting there. Plex not working complete with the files that I took from the old PC running windows, so didn't have to go through the whole sorting thing again. Next one for me to tackle is handbrake. 8)

• Lord Fuddle

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!