OpenMediaVault on the Home Media CE

• Dear all,

I am happy to announce the first version of OpenMediaVault for the Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition, a dual-core 600MHz ARM NAS device.

You can find all the details here: http://stefanseidel.info/component/content/article/9.html

Hardware-specific discussion would best take place there: http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=269&t=6277 - it's probably good to keep this thread here for OMV-related problems/suggestions/feedback only.

Stefan

• Good job :)
    Would be nice to OMV was also prepared for the Raspberry PI
    In general, to be ready packages for ARM :)

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    Banana Pi + 16GB SD + 500GB - test platform omv 3.0.X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    Banana PRO + 8GB SD + 320GB - test platform omv 30..X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• I think it shouldn't be too difficult for Raspberry Pi. Just get Debian running on the Pi, then add a file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/omv-armel.list containing this line:

Code
    deb http://teration.net/repo squeeze main

and then as root do:

Code
    wget -O - http://teration.net/repo/signkey.gpg.asc | apt-key add - && apt-get update

Then install OMV simply through:

Code
    apt-get install openmediavault

Stefan

• I have a problem with

Code
    Setting up tftpd-hpa (5.0-18) ...
    Starting HPA's tftpd: in.tftpdinvoke-rc.d: initscript tftpd-hpa, action "start" failed.
    dpkg: error processing tftpd-hpa (- configure):
      subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 71

Totality can not configure package. And by that OMV can not install.

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• Stefan thank you very much. I was looking for a solution and could not find it.

• Glad to help. Also, I think the Pi has the same problem with LVM on shutdown as other ARM devices, if it hangs forever at "Shutting down LVM Volume Groups" you need to edit the file /etc/init.d/lvm2 and in the function do_stop amend the line

Code
    /sbin/vgchange -aln --ignorelockingfailure || return 2

by inserting --noudevsync like this:

Code
    /sbin/vgchange -aln --noudevsync --ignorelockingfailure || return 2

It's the same with portmap but this has a 60 second timeout: somehow some processes probably get killed too early (portmap and udev) an that causes the shutdown to hang waiting for those services.

Stefan

• Hi Stefan,
    Once more thank you for the great work. As we have been discussing on NAS-Central forums, my home media CE is finally running OMV. But now I`m facing some issues that I think would be better discussed on this forum, instead of NAS-Central. Please let me know if there is another better place for this discussion.
    The problem is that some of binaries I have been installing though apt-get or aptitude are not running properly. They always give me Segment Faults.
    I have been downloading the source and building them at the NAS itself. No cross-compiling. I of course installed GCC, make, binutils and such; as a matter of fact, these are working and I get no segment fault.

The problem is with JAVA. I tried Sun, OpenJDK and default-jre. All of them get me Segmentation fault on java and keytool executables.
    I tried to go for OpenJDK source code. But It looks like is needs JVM already installed so it can be built (cyclic redundancy issue).
    I also looked for something with Icedtea, but it needs ANT, which also demends a jre installed.
    Apparently, my last chance is with a Icedtea cross-compiling. But things are not so simple.
    So I was wondering whether you or someone else has already gone through that path or possibly know a simpler one.
    Please let me know if you think a new thread should be opened for this topic.

Best regards

• Hi Stefan,
    thanks really too much for this new opportunity to replace the really buggy original software which is shipped with the hardware. I installed OMV on my Home Media CE and everything went smooth with no problem. in less than one hour the new software was up and running. I had access to web interface and the Home Media CE was listed on my router's list of connected devices. I setup the Samba share and accessed the drive over network. I also installed the torrent client plugin and configured it and added some torrent.
    the problem happened next day when I tried to access the drive over network, which was working after installation of OMV, but I gut timeout error. so I looked up on my router's list of connected devices and the drive was not there. I tried to restart and reconnect the drive to other ports of the router but no success. the device does not get any connection and does not get listed on router. I tried to reinstall OMV from the usb stick but shutdown button does not work, event plugging out and in, and holding the restart does not work.
    I don't have the serial connector so I don't have any idea whats going on in the device, can you help me finding the problem?
    I have a backup of my most important data that are on the drive, but I would like to possibly prevent any data loss.

• Hello,

I was curious if OMV is stable on this device. I have been having major issues with the OEM firmware (the device becomes inaccessible) and IOMEGA support does not want to admit that they cannot provide a solution.

What type of backup features does OMV offer? Besides being able to access cifs shared 24/7, I would like to do periodic backups to external USB drives and vice-versa.

• By backup are you referring to backing up the OMV system drive or the data drives?

To backup the system drive we recommend Clonezilla. The data drives, there are several options from the OMV usb-backup plugin to rsysnc and other numerous other backup programs.

If we are going to further discuss backup we really need to create or add on to an existing topic.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The author (and repo maintainer) hasn't been to the forum in almost five months. I am guessing it is gone for good. Quite a few people have had luck with the standard OMV 0.4 on devices like these.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!