Method https has died unexpectedly!

• ok, thanks for your help in narrowing down the problem

I understand that that there isn't a lot you can do about the Docker repo so I will join the Docker forum to see if they can help.

Is there anything you can suggest that I ask them?

When docker is installed from omv-extras does it customise the Docker installation or just automate the procedure documented on the website?

https://docs.docker.com/engine…ng-the-convenience-script

• I understand that that there isn't a lot you can do about the Docker repo so I will join the Docker forum to see if they can help.

I'm not sure they can fix it either. It seems limited to very few systems. What kind of system do you have?

When docker is installed from omv-extras does it customise the Docker installation or just automate the procedure documented on the website?

The problem isn't with how omv-extras installs docker. It literally is a problem adding the repo and syncing it up. This has to be done for your OMV system to "see" the docker packages.

omv 5.6.2 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have installed OMV on a HP T510 thin client

Ah.... I think this makes more sense now. That is a 32 bit machine and there is no i386 repo for docker. I will have to make omvextras not add the docker repo for i386 machines. On i386, the docker package comes from the Debian repos. - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…bin/omv-installdocker#L66

• well that sucks. I just made the change in omv-extras 5.4.1 but it is still the right change. If you are running 64 bit OMV on it and it is segfaulting, all I can think is it is hitting code that your cpu doesn't like. You will probably have to file a bug report with Debian.

What is the output of: uname -a

• I assume the openmediavault_5.0.5-amd64.iso is 64bit only?

I'm not sure if i know what I am talking about but could it be something to do with the Docker repo apt-key?

• I assume the openmediavault_5.0.5-amd64.iso is 64bit only?

Yes.

I'm not sure if i know what I am talking about but could it be something to do with the Docker repo apt-key?

No. apt-key adds the key. That is a one time process. Your system is segfaulting on apt-get update. While that does look at the key added by apt-key, it shouldn't segfault. And since all of my amd64 systems are not segfaulting, this seems to be a 64 bit code issue on the via chip. I've personally never been a big fan of via chips.

• I don't think VIA would have been my first choice either but I had a T510 sitting here doing nothing when I decided to try OMV

It is only used as a basic file server with a couple of docker containers. It has worked perfectly until now.

How do I file a bug report with Debian?

Is there something specific I need to explain to them?

• I don't think VIA would have been my first choice either but I had a T510 sitting here doing nothing when I decided to try OMV

It is probably fine but I would put 32 bit debian on it. Just install Debian buster and then run the install script - Installing OMV5 on Raspberry PI's, Armbian SBC's, & i386 32-bit platforms You can still have dockers but it will use the docker package from the Debian repo.

How do I file a bug report with Debian?

Is there something specific I need to explain to them?

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/

explain that apt-get update segfaults when trying to update the Docker repo. Post the error message and tell them it is the

deb [arch=arm64] https://download.docker.com/linux/debian buster stable repo. Not sure how far it will get though. I might be wrong but I think one of the devs will need an Eden X2 system to try to replicate and fix.

• yes , it's same hardware, and is x64.

I'll try https://www.digitalocean.com/c…d-use-docker-on-debian-10

and do not work.

• Because I really need dockers, I revert to OMV4, and all works fine, docker repo load well, and all works fine.

it's really annoing that only docker repo fail on debian 10 (OMV 5)

• omv-extras is NOT doing something wrong. I have installed docker via omv-extras thousands of times on many architectures. There is something wrong with this cpu and apt.

ecause I really need dockers, I revert to OMV4, and all works fine, docker repo load well, and all works fine.

You don't have to revert to OMV 4 and you can still use docker. Just do the following:

Add OMV_DISABLE_DOCKER="YES" to /etc/default/openmediavault

and then

sudo omv-salt stage run prepare

sudo omv-salt deploy run omvextras

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install docker.io

You just won't be able to use the install docker button in omv-extras.

• What does OMV_DISABLE_DOCKER="YES" do?

If it removes the docker repo from omvextras.list which repo does it download Docker from?

I don't want to go to 32bit Debian unless I really have to. The worst case senario is that I have to manually install or update Docker using the Docker deb file.

The main thing is I can now update all other packages if I comment out the Docker repo from omvextras.list. Not ideal but it is a temporary fix.

Quick question - do you have any idea why it is only the Docker repo that is failing?

All the other repo's seem to work ok. If it is something unique with the Docker repo would Docker be able to fix it?

• What does OMV_DISABLE_DOCKER="YES" do?

If it removes the docker repo from omvextras.list which repo does it download Docker from?

It does remoe docker from omvextras.list. Then you would need to manually download docker.io from the Debian repos (where you get all of the OS packages).

I don't want to go to 32bit Debian unless I really have to. The worst case senario is that I have to manually install or update Docker using the Docker deb file.

You would better off to move to an rpi4 or rock64 or something like that. They are probably faster anyway.

do you have any idea why it is only the Docker repo that is failing?

Nope. I can't recreate it. I think apt is using an instruction that doesn't exist or is poorly implemented on the Eden cpu.

If it is something unique with the Docker repo would Docker be able to fix it?

If they had thousands of people having a problem, then they might. But since it only seems to affect a 10 year old, fairly rare cpu, I don't think they will care.

• I already have Docker version 19.03.12 up and running perfectly via omv-extras from the original omv installation. It was also updating correctly until a couple of months ago.

Obviously this will not work now (for whatever reason) so if I OMV_DISABLE_DOCKER="YES" will apt-get update (or OMV update) just take the Docker updates from the Debian repo instead of the Docker repo without doing anything else?

Are there any disadvantages of using Docker updates from the Debian repo?

• Obviously this will not work now (for whatever reason) so if I OMV_DISABLE_DOCKER="YES" will apt-get update (or OMV update) just take the Docker updates from the Debian repo instead of the Docker repo without doing anything else?

No. The package name is different. It is docker-ce in the docker repo and docker.io in the debian repo.

Are there any disadvantages of using Docker updates from the Debian repo?

It will likely be an older version the older Buster gets.

• Ok, so it looks like I have a few options -

1 - Try to get Docker and / or Debian to fix the problem. This may or may not succeed!!

2 - Unistall Docker via omv-extras. Use OMV_DISABLE_DOCKER="YES" to disable Docker intergration in omv-extras. Install Docker via apt-get install docker.io. Get Docker updates via the Debian repo

3 - Edit omvextras.list to exclude the Docker repo (or use OMV_DISABLE_DOCKER="YES"). Manually update Docker occasionally using the 3 deb files here - https://download.docker.com/li…buster/pool/stable/amd64/

4 - Reinstall with 32bit Debian. If I can't find a suitable solution I will give this a try

5 - Change the hardware....this will be a last resort as I am a little short of cash at the moment!!

When I get some spare time I will try to get Docker and / or Debian to take a look, if I get a positive response I will post here.

Thankyou for your help and support with this problem, I am very grateful :)

I would never have found the root cause without your assistance

I am very impressed with the friendly help and expertise that is available on the OMV forum

Thanks again

• No. The package name is different. It is docker-ce in the docker repo and docker.io in the debian repo.

It will likely be an older version the older Buster gets.

Thanks a lot for your time, help and support, i'll try your workarround, and post result

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!