no S.M.A.R.T. info on devices / failing tests

• Hey there,

I recently got my OMV5 running on an raspberry pi 4. I attached 2 seagat ironwolf 2TB (each) in an Icybox via USB3. Now to my problem(s):

1. I can activate S.M.A.R.T. info in the controls for both hdds. I confirm each change as it is asked from the system. After logging out of OMV and logging back in, it's deactivated again.
    2. I scheduled a test. I manually started it by clicking "start". I receive the following error - see attached. I get a similar error from starting a test about the other hdd.

Sorry I'm a noob - but what does that mean? How can I successfully implement this function?

• as far as i know, SMART test can only run on SATA/IDE devices not in USB devices, but perhaps I'm wrong.

• Hi kind stranger, and thanks for picking up my enquiry!

I did a little googlin' and found out that it is indeed software-specific whether you can get test results from USB drives or not (again, I'm a noob, but one with a steep learning curve...)

So one answer to my question could be that OMV 5 doesn't support this kind of SMART testing. Jugding from your posting I don't suppose you can confirm this?

Edit: I had a closer look at the technical details and it might be depending on the USB bridge installed in my Icy Box, because this determines whether smartmontools (being used by OMV 5) can make sense of the signals or not. I contacted tech support for this.

• First note that it's important for an enclosure or a dock to be "on" before booting your R-PI. In some cases, drives may be recognized after boot up but it's not stone reliable.

I had a closer look at the technical details and it might be depending on the USB bridge installed in my Icy Box, because this determines whether smartmontools (being used by OMV 5) can make sense of the signals or not. I contacted tech support for this.

This is, indeed, the case. USB bridges can and, in some cases, do filter SMART commands. Also note there's variation in SMART commands and command responses, depending on the drive OEM. When a 3rd party (non OEM) USB bridge is involved, as it is with a drive dock or and enclosure that is yet another factor to consider.

The following are a few examples:

A USB powered 4TB WD 2.5" external, with an OEM WD USB bridge;

WD 1TB in an Inatek 2 drive USB DOCK
    (This dock appears to provide transparent pass through):

This is a Toshiba 4TB attached to a SATA port.

There's at least slight variation in all of them and, of note, is that different OEM's increment attribute counts using different criteria.

When looking at spinning drives, the following SMART attributes are relatively standard and are among the more important counts to follow:

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.

SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.

SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.

SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.

SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!