Backup Strategy

• Hey folks,

I'm building my first OMV-System and wonder what is the best backup strategy for me.

I plan to install two identical drives where the second one is for backup (no raid).

My old Synology will serve as a remote backup system, but thats (maybe?!) another topic.

1. Are there good reasons for putting the second drive in an external USB-Case? I would prefer to install it directly in the OMV-System.

2. What backup method / software would be suitable for an automated, versioned and easy recoverable backup? Borgbackup?

3. The OS is installed on a SSD. Do I need a separate software for OS-Backup or is there also a good solution for both use cases?

Greetings

• Offizieller Beitrag

The best Getting Started Guide. Back toward the back of the guide is a whole section on backup, OS and data.

If you have a SATA connection available don’t use usb.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don’t know. I’ve never used those. Just Rsync according to the guide I linked to above.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Duplicity and borgbackup are higher level tools that may use rsync as a transport option.

Rsync is native to linux, it's been around for a very long time and it's small number of dependencies are part of the vast majority of Linux distro's. Since Rsync uses checksums for verification of files, it's very safe. Given that capability, rsync lends itself to copying to or from USB connected drives. I'm using one external drive with rsync.
    (However, as Agricola has already stated; if you have an extra port, a SATA connection is preferred for speed and reliability.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

(However, as Agricola has already stated; if you have an extra port, a SATA connection is preferred for speed and reliability.)

Well put. My reasoning exactly. SATA is not necessarily better than usb, just faster.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And...I can’t say enough about the simplicity and beauty if the mirrored backup described in the guide. A backup is only as good as it is when it’s needed to get your server back online after a data disk dies. Repointing your shares to the backup disk is only a matter of minutes.

But don’t forget about OS backup. It’s just as important and it is there in that guide too.

• Offizieller Beitrag

2. What backup method / software would be suitable for an automated, versioned and easy recoverable backup? Borgbackup?

For versioned backup have a look at rsnapshot. It is using rsync to create snapshots of your data.

3. The OS is installed on a SSD. Do I need a separate software for OS-Backup or is there also a good solution for both use cases?

For OS backup you can either do an offline backup for example by creating a clone or an image using clonezilla.

Or you do a live backup using the backup plugin from omv-extras.

Either case, make sure you have tested your backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Either case, make sure you have tested your backup.

Andifront , the above couldn't be stressed enough. After you've created backup, testing it at least once to know that it works, is as important as the backup itself.

• Thanks for the input guys and sorry for the late reply. My family kept me busy.

Think I will start with a rsync backup and when this is running well I will look into borgbackup or rsnapshot eventually.

Just published a guide to Borg here, hope it helps.

I've been testing it since two weeks and it's a wonderful software.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!