Mount an SMB share from a remote file server on OMV into an OMV share

• What I would like to achieve:

I would like to create a mount point "mountpoint" in an OMV share "test" and then mount an SMB share "other" from a different file server (!) on OMV (!) on that mount point.

As an effect the OMV clients that are mounting "test" from OMV would see the content of "other" under "mountpoint".

My questions are:

(1) is this possible with OMV?

(2) is mounting from other file servers supported by the OMV Web UI? If so, where will I find these capabilities?

(3) if this is not supported by the Web UI, is it OK do add a line in /etc/fstab to mount an SMB share on top of a mountpoint within an OMV share?

Thanks for taking the time!

• 1) Yes.

2) OMV Remote Mount Plugin.

3) Do not make any edits in fstab within the >>> [openmediavault] ----- <<< [openmediavault] stanza; they will be lost eventually.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• Using OMV since today, so please excuse my ignorance.

OMV 5.5.11-1

I watched watched a video about this plugin from Techno Dad. This plugin does exactly what I would like to do.

The plugin should show up in the plugin list. I updated the plugin list and searched for "remote".

Alas, the plugin list in my OMV does not contain this plugin.

how do I get that plugin?

• l0cust

Added the Label OMV 5.x
  • OK I got it.

As a courtesy to other newbies:

You need to install the Extras plugin. After that you will see the remote plugin and others in the plugin list.

This Extras plugin also lets you install docker.

• l0cust

Added the Label resolved

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!