Disaster Recovery Plan

• Hello,

I'm new to OMV5 but I'm a little desppointed by the lack of integrated full configuration Backup/Restore feature.

I red the Installation Guide, especially 58+ pages and I was amazed. You are seriously asking for a clone on flashdrive using a great but Windows program ?

Meaning each time you update your system you got to unplug the drive as you need Windows to do the cloning ?

Seriously ?

The backup feature propose a dd and other good tools on a share folder, that's better, BUT the dd is done without shuting down OMV, and OMG what about any database running in background.

Seriously again ?

There only x2 possible ways. Either a dedicated OMV internal program that do a FULL backup of all configurations including Docker and each and every databases but to be honest I'd be quiet doubtfull about it as there are many plugins,............... or a full cold backup.

I personnally use a cold backup as OMV is hosted on a Proxmox Virtualization Server. This way Proxmox allow me to do scheduled COLD backup, and suspend backups that I successfully testd and restored.

But as HDD SDD Nvme WILL get some errors (it's just a question of time), PLEASE DO PROPOSE SOME REAL testable restorable BACKUP of OMV OS.

If I missed the OMV5 topic backup I'm really sorry about it, but after using google and search engine I'm awaiting for your reply.

• votdev

Approved the thread.
  • The only issues I have ever read about on this forum concerning OS backups going south is from people in tears because they never made one.

My “integrated full configuration Backup/Restore feature“ involves

1. Cold dd every month or so, or when there is a major OS update.
    2. Update the backup OS drive and make it the operating drive.
    3. Save the last 4 or 5 backups on your pc.
    4. Keep your docker folder off of the OS drive, and back it up with the rest of your data/media drive.
    5. Keep copious notes and screen shots.
    6. When the OS fails burn a fresh OS from most recent dd on file, and insert into your server and fire it up.

If by integrated you mean set some parameters and make an activate button green, then I’m not interested.

Easy data backup: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, Wetty, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1): backups using Rsync and Rsnapshot - Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole - hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2, and VirtualBox: Testing and playing - Mac user converting to Linux, Debian 10 KDE.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!