Help moving over OMV5 install from one computer to another

• Hi all,

I just had my OMV5 setup up and running like i wanted on a brand new computer, but now the computer died. ;( Intel is sending me a new NUC at least, but that will be 5-6 weeks before it's here.

I have another slightly older NUC. Can i just put the 2 internal HD's from the OMV5 Nuc into my other computer and should that just boot? Or is there more to it?

I know you can do this with a windows install if the hardware is similar.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll give this a go tomorrow morning.

If i need omv-firstaid. How would i go about that?

Thanks again for always answering my questions!

Doing this sort of swap with Linux is far easier than with Windows. As long as the kernel has drivers for the "older machine" it should be fine (probably better it's a little older rather than something really new).

The network will probably be the biggest issue, so omv-firstaid will almost certainly be required... which will probably change your IP for your server, as well as your services, etc.. so you may have to do some more configuring on client software once things are back up and running.

• UPDATE:

Turns out my computer is not dead, but it's the new SSD that's dead.

I tried moving the SSD to my old NUC and when i plug it in the computer doesn't boot anymore either.

Then i put an old SSD in the new computer and it boots.

I have never heard of a computer not turning on at all when you have a faulty SSD. I would assume it would throw an error saying no boot device found or something?

So my question is slightly changing now. I'll have to reinstall OMV on a new boot drive.

No problem there, but what will happen with the rest of the drives ones OMV is installed again?

I have 1 internal SSD with my projects and appdata for my docker containers

then i have another 2 external WD 4TB drives with my movie ant tv shares on.

Will the new install of OMV see these shares? or will I have to do some Linux magic to make this work again?

• You need to mount the drives and create shared folders pointing at the existing folders on the drives.

Mounting the drives I can do in OMV5 once it's installed.

How do i go about creating shares pointing to those existing folders? Can that be done in OMV5 too?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm still very new to this all

• have never heard of a computer not turning on at all when you have a faulty SSD.

It could be as simple as a short from 5v to ground in the SSD. You are not using another power connector or and extender with the new ssd that was not used with the old one are you? I have seen this in cheap sata power splitters, folks have even had fires in their pc's because of these things.

OMV on trigkey mini-PC N100/16GB DDR4/500GN NVME/2TB Crucial SATA

OMV2 on ASUS Prime 390-A/i9-9900K/64GB DDR4/400GB Intel NVME/4x960GB Micron 5100 Pro SATA

• It could be as simple as a short from 5v to ground in the SSD. You are not using another power connector or and extender with the new ssd that was not used with the old one are you? I have seen this in cheap sata power splitters, folks have even had fires in their pc's because of these things.

My computer is an Intel NUC, the SSD is a M.2.

So you "plug" that straight into the motherboard. No splitters or power connectors

• Well it obviously sucks to have to re-install OMV after a hard drive failure, specially when the SSD is brand new :(

But overall that was a very painless process thanks to the wonders of Docker.

I made sure i had copies of all my stacks, so once i restored my AppData share everything was up and running in no time

If i had to redo all that on a windows pc it would have taken me over a day to get all my settings back for Home assistant, Emby, Sonarr, Radarr, ....

Still lots to learn, but i'm liking it!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!