Help with permissions

• Hi folks,

For some reason when accessing the new OMV NAS, I get a "destination folder access denied. You need permissions to perform this action" error message. This baffles me, I have given myself all access privileges, on the folders and as a user and yet, I am not able to gain access. Before when I had the OMV set as a mirror I didn't have this issue. Now that it's a raid 5, I can get to the folders, but I'm denied doing anything inside them, like creating a folder. I'm stumped. :/Please help.

Bart

• I followed Techo Dad Life's OMV 5 video stable complete install and setup video to the letter, four or five times and I still get the no permissions message. I'm bummed. I'm about to abandon OMV and look for some other software....

Bart

• Permission issues have most likely nothing to do with OMV, but linux itself. You are free to abandon OMV but if you dont understand linux permissions, any linux based server will lead to such issues. And even windows servers are using a permission system. Quite the same point here.

If you want some help, you should provide more information. You say "accessing the new OMV NAS". There are lots of ways to access it. How are you accessing and what settings did you set exactly?

Edit: If you reinstall you just need to format the system drive. Maybe you should unplug data drives while installing just to prevent any accident. But I think this is not going to help as long as you don't understand what is wrong.

• Upon many hours of banging my head against the wall, I found out what the problem was. The version of OMV 5 that I have doesn't like more than one "shared folder". Initially I created 5, and thus the problem began. I tried using the other shared folders and always received the I need permission message. That happened even after I individually granted all the folders permission. Now that I reinstalled OMV and only created 1 shared folder, I now have all the permissions I need to use the folder. Is that a bug, or was it created that way on purpose? :/

Thanks

Bart

• Complete NOOB here. Setup OMV 5.5 on Raspberry Pi 4 following the new user guide. When I try to copy files to the shared folder from Windows 10 or Linux, get the "destination folder access denied" error.

When "hannesjo" says it has to do with Linux permissions, are you saying I should change the permissions for the shared drive from the Raspberry Pi?

• I should change the permissions for the shared drive from the Raspberry Pi?

On the OMV GUI, the SAMBA shared folder need to have "guest allowed" permission. (I personally prefer, "guests only" but my samba is used only on LAN)

If you haven't seen it yet: docs/Getting_Started-OMV5.pdf at master · OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/docs (github.com)

Page 46 onwards

• Complete NOOB here. Setup OMV 5.5 on Raspberry Pi 4 following the new user guide. When I try to copy files to the shared folder from Windows 10 or Linux, get the "destination folder access denied" error.

When "hannesjo" says it has to do with Linux permissions, are you saying I should change the permissions for the shared drive from the Raspberry Pi?

Never set "Guest allowed" or "Only guests" in your shares unless you want everyone in your network/wifi being able to access.

In OMV you have two different areas to define your permissions. In Shared Folders view you can open "ACL" dialog to check if the correct owner is set and has full access. (You only need the lower half area here. Dont use the checkboxes in the upper half.) Doing so you grant your user access on the operating system level.

The second area is also in Shared Folders view. Click privileges. Here you use the checkboxes to grant your user full access as well. This setting is for services like smb/cifs.

Your user must have full access in both of them.

In the smb/cifs -> share settings, set Public to NO. Windows will ask for your login credentials when you try to connect. Just enter the data of the OMV user that owns the share.

• For sure OMV supports more than one shared folder. I have much more than one.

You must do something strange. Did you read the new user guide linked in my signature?

Why sudden change of perimissions while copying files to a shared folder ????

This is my case so I would like some help, please

So I tried to upload some files to new created folder (following instructions) and went so sleep. Next day (today) I receive notification that it can't copy more to a disk giving me option to skip files and after checking error message I see that it says folder is only in read-mode ????

I tried to remove shared folder from SMB and DLNA and also remove users that have privileges to them but I receive this mesage:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; setfacl --remove-all -M '/tmp/setfacl68OZLK' -- '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-add2dc37-ac09-4a67-987f-3befaa34f12a/Videos/' 2>&1' with exit code '1': setfacl: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-add2dc37-ac09-4a67-987f-3befaa34f12a/Videos/: Read-only file system

How to solve this problem ???

• janeku Read-Only filesystem sounds like your hard drive is dying or maybe there was some controller error in your system. Please have a look at the Storage section of the forum.

Looks like dying problem. I swap to an old ide 30GB external hard disk and everything went well during copy process.

• [EDIT - incorrect setup. See replies below]

Hello. I was having the same problem and it turned out I set up the folders ownership in Linux without modifying the subfolders and files as well. So, I had:

Code
    caio@rockpro64:/srv$ ls -l
    total 32
    drwxr-xr-x 1 caio root  6 jan  5 19:59 dev-disk-by-uuid-28e638ec-f2ca-47bc-af9a-d23731d5d841
    drwxr-xr-x 1 caio root 30 jan  5 19:36 dev-disk-by-uuid-4c6e6973-b554-4ac3-9e3f-3fae5633fca8

bud then, if I open one of the folders, I got

Code
    caio@rockpro64:/srv$ cd dev-disk-by-uuid-4c6e6973-b554-4ac3-9e3f-3fae5633fca8/
    caio@rockpro64:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-4c6e6973-b554-4ac3-9e3f-3fae5633fca8$ ls -l
    total 0
    drwxrwsr-x+ 1 root root 20 jan  5 18:18 media
    caio@rockpro64:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-4c6e6973-b554-4ac3-9e3f-3fae5633fca8$

I solved it by just apllying chown recursively (sudo chown -R username folder)

Code
    caio@rockpro64:/srv$ sudo chown -R caio dev-disk-by-uuid-4c6e6973-b554-4ac3-9e3f-3fae5633fca8/

You can do it directly in OMV by going to Storage > Shared Folders > Select the shared folder > Access control list (ACL). There you can change the ownership and access to your user and then you should check "Recursive" on the bottom.

Hope this helps someone else trying to find how to solve this problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The /srv folder is a system folder, you should not modify the permissions of that folder. The owner must be root and the owner group must also be root.

In general it is not necessary to modify the permissions at the file level, much less the ACL permissions, it should be enough to manage the samba permissions from the OMV GUI.

You can reset all shared folder permissions (even recursively and removing ACL permissions) with the openmediavault-resetperms plugin. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…6:omv6_plugins:resetperms

• The /srv folder is a system folder, you should not modify the permissions of that folder. The owner must be root and the owner group must also be root.

Does that apply to all subfolders of /srv? I only changed the ownership of /srv/[drive-mount]/media, nothing above it.

• Actually, wait. You are right. I changed the mounted disk ownership. The correct setup is from

Code
    caio@rockpro64:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-4c6e6973-b554-4ac3-9e3f-3fae5633fca8$ ls -l
    drwxrwsr-x+ 1 root root 20 jan 14 16:09 media

to

Code
    caio@rockpro64:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-4c6e6973-b554-4ac3-9e3f-3fae5633fca8$ sudo chown -R caio /media/
    total 0
    drwxrwsr-x+ 1 caio users 20 jan 14 16:09 media
    caio@rockpro64:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-4c6e6973-b554-4ac3-9e3f-3fae5633fca8$

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!