Plex - grant access to family on home network ?

• Hi all

Just installed Plex on Pi4 / OMV5 as a docker container - followed TechoDad's video.

I can connect from my desktop pc to Plex thru my web browser using the Plex IP address and port ( :32400 ), and happy with the results.

What's the best way to share the content with other family members ( wife & kids ) on the same home network ?

Should they each have their own free Plex account / login ?

Do I need to add Privileges for each user to the shared folders ?

The folders that I have shared on my OMV are :

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAShd1/Plex_app
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAShd1/Plex_download
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAShd1/Plex_media
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAShd1/Plex_photos

Would be ideal if each family member could add movies / downloads to the family folder, and maybe also have their own folder for stuff only they would watch.

Do I create a sub-folder for each family member on the NAS so they can store downloads that can be accessed by other family members ?

• You can create managed users in Plex. That is the perfect solution if everything stays in one household. You have only 1 set of plex login data. If you want to grant access to a family member with an own plex account with its own login data, you can invite him or her as Home User.

In both cases that user is also able to use your plex pass functionality like hardware transcoding. If you invite someone just as friend, it is quite the same like home user but without plex pass functionality.

It is a Plex only thread. You can find more information in the Plex forum forums.plex.tv. Has nothing to do with OMV or shared folders.

• It has nothing to do with OMV or shared folders.

Thanks. so I don't need to give access to the Plex folders on the home NAS.

So if I invite a family member/s ( each with their own Plex account ) as a Home User, and they want to access media that is stored on the NAS, would that stream go out via the internet ( use bandwidth ), or would the Home User view the media over the same based network ?

Only con that I see with each member having their own account, is that each user then has to pay for the device/s that they use ( android phones or tablets ), whereas with the Managed User setup, they all piggyback off the Home Owner account for using remote devices.

• So if I invite a family member/s ( each with their own Plex account ) as a Home User, and they want to access media that is stored on the NAS, would that stream go out via the internet ( use bandwidth ), or would the Home User view the media over the same based network ?

Edit: Sorry, misread. It goes over LAN if possible.

Only con that I see with each member having their own account, is that each user then has to pay for the device/s that they use ( android phones or tablets ), whereas with the Managed User setup, they all piggyback off the Home Owner account for using remote devices.

I think that is not true. The idea of Home users is that they don't have to pay anything if you already have a plex pass. You may verify that in Plex forums.

• Edit: Sorry, misread. It goes over LAN if possible.

I think that is not true. The idea of Home users is that they don't have to pay anything if you already have a plex pass. You may verify that in Plex forums.

Sorry, when I said "Home Owner Account" i should have been more specific, and said the Plex Pass Account.

I guess each family needs to evaluate the $40 per year for a single Plex Pass, or for each family member device paying the once-off $5 'per device' cost.

As you pointed out, only the Home account owner can add / delete content from the shared library, so maybe it is better for each family member to have their own Plex account, and share their libraries with each other.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!