getting an rpc error in two separate omv 5 machines

• i have two separate machines running omv 5 at the moment, both getting the same pop up error message in the web gui interface, same title error message, with the only difference being in the stack trace line.

omv5prod machine:

window title:

Invalid RPC response. Please check the syslog for more information.

Details:

Error #0:

OMV\Rpc\Exception: Invalid RPC response. Please check the syslog for more information. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:187

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Developer', 'getBintrayRepos', Array, Array, 3)

#1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()

#2 {main}

(omv5dev) the second machine's stack trace is this:

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('RemoteMount', 'mount', Array, Array, 3)

the two machines are:

1. omv5prod - a PC running pmv5 as my production nas (home) plus a few other plugins

omv5prod runs on separate machine. (no dev plugin yet, but has remote mount plugin)

- issue only started after updating to 5.5.13-1 and after adding in some plugins

2. omv5dev - a virtualbox omv5 as a dev machine, just freshly built with omvextras added and all latest updates added to 5.5.13-1.

omv5dev vm runs on laptop with dev plugin (no remote mount plugin) plus a few other plugins the same on both.

- was already on 5.5.13-1 as part of machhine build, but issue seemed to have started after adding plugins.

differences:

completely separate machine hardware, 1 virtual 1 bare metal

one wired utp one wireless,

one laptop with virtualbox.org latest version on windows 8 - the other native install on bare metal server,

omv5prod shares files using smb, omv5dev does not

1 is to my right the other is to my left,

plugins common to both machines:

downloader, minidlna, apttool, omvextras, remotemount, resetperms

different plugins:

- omv5prod - backup, sharerootfs, usbbackup, symlinks, diskstats, clamav, locates, wol

- omv5dev - sftp plugin , flashmemory

any ideas on why the errors ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I responded to this in the other thread but if remotemount if failing to mount, there is something bad with your remotemount setup.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep openm

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• omv5prod

root@openmediavault2:~# dpkg -l | grep openm

ii libopenmpt0:amd64 0.4.3-1+deb10u1 amd64 module music library based on OpenMPT -- shared library

ii openmediavault 5.5.13-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution

ii openmediavault-apttool 3.6 all apt tool plugin for OpenMediaVault.

ii openmediavault-backup 5.2.1 all backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.

ii openmediavault-clamav 5.0.10-1 all openmediavault ClamAV plugin

ii openmediavault-developer 5.0.1 all OpenMediaVault Developer plugin

ii openmediavault-diskstats 5.0.6-1 all openmediavault disk monitoring plugin

ii openmediavault-downloader 5.1 all OpenMediaVault downloader plugin

ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

ii openmediavault-locate 3.5 all locate plugin for OpenMediaVault.

ii openmediavault-minidlna 5.0.5 all OpenMediaVault miniDLNA (DLNA server) plugin

ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 5.4.2 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

ii openmediavault-remotemount 5.0.3 all Remote mount plugin for OpenMediaVault.

ii openmediavault-resetperms 5.0 all Reset Permissions

ii openmediavault-sharerootfs 5.0.2-1 all openmediavault share root filesystem plugin

ii openmediavault-symlinks 3.1.5 all OpenMediaVault symlinks plugin

ii openmediavault-usbbackup 5.0.5-1 all openmediavault USB/eSATA backup plugin

ii openmediavault-wol 3.4.2 all OpenMediaVault WOL plugin

omv5dev

root@omv5dev:~# dpkg -l | grep openm

ii libopenmpt0:amd64 0.4.3-1+deb10u1 amd64 module music library based on OpenMPT -- shared library

ii openmediavault 5.5.13-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution

ii openmediavault-apttool 3.6 all apt tool plugin for OpenMediaVault.

ii openmediavault-downloader 5.1 all OpenMediaVault downloader plugin

ii openmediavault-flashmemory 5.0.7 all folder2ram plugin for OpenMediaVault

ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

ii openmediavault-minidlna 5.0.5 all OpenMediaVault miniDLNA (DLNA server) plugin

ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 5.4.2 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

ii openmediavault-remotemount 5.0.3 all Remote mount plugin for OpenMediaVault.

ii openmediavault-resetperms 5.0 all Reset Permissions

ii openmediavault-sftp 5.0.6 all sftp server

• I responded to this in the other thread but if remotemount if failing to mount, there is something bad with your remotemount setup.

remotemount is working as expected with omv5dev mounting home directory share andy on omv5prodvto access the .deb files and plugin source code, although the Mount green indicator shows ok but the shared indicator is still grey.

I havent tried the other way yet from omv5prod to omv5dev

• Offizieller Beitrag

On the prod system, what is the output of: sudo omv-showkey remotemount

On the dev system, i don't see the developer plugin installed. If you are getting a bintray error, you need to clear your browser cache.

• On the prod system, what is the output of: sudo omv-showkey remotemount

On the dev system, i don't see the developer plugin installed. If you are getting a bintray error, you need to clear your browser cache.

output of sudo omv-showkey remotemount is nul - i have not configured a share on omv5dev as yet so havent attempted to remotemount from omv5prod

i have not yet installed the dev plugin on the omv5dev machine.

i had downloaded the dev plugin deb file to my home_andy share on the omv5prod machine and did the upload & install fro the for the omv5prod machine. i was planning to use the remote mount to access the dev plugin from the omv5prod home_andy share and thereby install on the omv5dev machine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

output of sudo omv-showkey remotemount is nul - i have not configured a share on omv5dev as yet so havent attempted to remotemount from omv5prod

I don't know how you would get a remotemount error if there is no config to try to mount. When are you getting the error?

• I don't know how you would get a remotemount error if there is no config to try to mount. When are you getting the error?

on omv5dev i managed to replicate the error.

- i unmounted the share that i had remote mounted, which is home_andy (home directory share) on omv5prod.,

- deleted the share

- I then re-added the home_andy share from omv5prod into omv5dev remotemount plugin, and

- the rpc error occurred when i mounted the share. after clicking ok on error, both "mounted" & "shared" indicators remain grey.

- tried to mount again, and no change - both "mounted" & "shared" indicators remain grey.

- reloaded the page and mounted indicator is now green.

at this point it may be worth mentioning that Google Chrome is up to date Version 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)

so it appears that the remote mount rpc error occurs when mounting the omv5prod/home_andy share.

i am using the machine's ip address for the server and omv5prod user andy & the related password to mount the share - that user does not exist on the omv5dev computer and i am not using a distributed user management database like nis, ldap or samba ad.

• following up on the rpc error popping up anytime i mounted the remote mount for the share home_andy on omv5prod, i added a local user andy with the same password as the user andy on omv5prod, and strangely enough no rpc error this time! also did not have to refresh the browser window to get the mounted green indicator to update, it just happened when the mount completed.

therefore ryecoaaron you were correct when you said "... if remotemount is failing to mount, there is something bad with your remotemount setup."

if there was a check in the plugin code to see if the user existed locally as part of the Mount process, whether it is a local user or directory supplied user (nis, ad or ldap) then when no matching user id and password exists, or if the userid and/or passwrd is erroneous/wont authenticate, maybe throw a nice error rather than have an rpc error occur ?

at least, thats what i hope it is :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

if there was a check in the plugin code to see if the user existed locally as part of the Mount process, whether it is a local user or directory supplied user (nis, ad or ldap) then when no matching user id and password exists, or if the userid and/or passwrd is erroneous/wont authenticate, maybe throw a nice error rather than have an rpc error occur ?

Because the plugin allows almost infinite number of setups, it could never check for everything someone might configure a mount for. And parsing the connect strings for a user and/or uid and then comparing it to the systems /etc/passwd would not be fun. Feel free to write the code to do that : )

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!