Fresh installed OMV 5 keep crashing. (it was hardware issues)

• So I will try to make it short. I started to loose some connection to a fat34 HDD so I formatted it too ext4 in Windows but I saved my files first. But I kept loosen more connections to my hdd and got a lot of errors in my system log. 34 pages in 2 minutes so it was too long to copy into this forum. So I did a fresh install.

But I keep getting the same errors over and over again.

Blk_update_requst: Buffer I/O error, dev sdd, sector 0 op 0x0: (read) flag 0x0 phys_seg 1 prior class 0

Exception emask 0x0 sact 0x0 action 0x0

Drdy err

Error: (UNC)

Failed command: read dma

And a lot more. I am using a Asrock j5005 with 16gb ram.

I also get the same errors over and over again while trying to use first aid on the network configuration. The same happens when I try to setup the web panel setting.

Maybe my ssd is already dead that I bought less than a month ago, it seems unlikely but I simply don't know what do to.

But in fistaid the configuration status is valid. And rrd database is also valid.

Also sometimes I can get into the web gui but the same errors keep being spammed in then system log. Also I can see all 5 hdd in the disk section in the guide but only 4 is growable in the file system section.

The hdds that is not viewable I just freshly formatted from fat34 to ext4

Thanks for your time.

here is a very small part of all the errors I am getting, there is so much and this is not even 1/10 of everything so I am not sure what to add but this is the first part:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I started to loose some connection to a fat34 HDD so I formatted it too ext4 in Windows

:?: ?( Use OMV if the drive is displayed in Storage -> Disks select it click wipe on the menu and select short, when finished File Systems -> Add from the menu, in the dialog give the drive a label then select ext4, wait for it to finish then mount it if it doesn't mount automatically. Ensure you click apply to write the changes.

• :?: ?( Use OMV if the drive is displayed in Storage -> Disks select it click wipe on the menu and select short, when finished File Systems -> Add from the menu, in the dialog give the drive a label then select ext4, wait for it to finish then mount it if it doesn't mount automatically. Ensure you click apply to write the changes.

Sorry maybe I was not accurate enough. I meant to say that it was just a precursor when I notice all the errors showing up in the system log. I did not have that problem before so I dont know what triggered it. I have tried to format it one time in ext4 but I am doing it a second time now.

What is odd is all the error codes I get when using omv-firstaid

I would like to show a copy of the errors coming but I am making a secure slow format now with OMV instead of using windows (program: AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 8.1) and I am afraid that running the firstaid program now could interrupt the formatting.

• Leave the format to complete

So I finally had the disk formatted, in OMV, but it is still not viewable.

I added a pictures of the codes I get when I change the internet settings in firstaid, it does apply the setting successfully but I get a lot of error codes in between.

https://imgur.com/a/igvBX2m

I also managed to take some pictures of the start up process. (I am using a TV, because I dont have a pc monitor ready)

https://imgur.com/a/dguo01b

The odd thing is that turning on the nas have become very slow and unreliable. meaning sometimes it will shutdown during the startup process or just never start up OMV.

I added the system log, I have removed my IP address and replace it with "xxx" I dont know how important it is to hide our IP addresses so I dont know if it a bit to much.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The device sdd seems to be defective.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have removed my IP address and replace it with "xxx" I dont know how important it is to hide our IP addresses

It isn't but most do :)

Within that syslog there a number of I/O errors which would suggest there could be an issue reading a drive and appears to be related to sdd also a reference to FAT - fs on sdb1 and then disk by label C

The one thing to remember when setting up something like this is check the sata port numbers on the board, they usually start at 0 and work up, I personally use them sequentially, i.e. 0 for the boot device, then 1 and up for data.

Have you updated the boards BIOS

How did you install OMV

Does the machine boot without a data drive attached

It takes nearly 2.5 mins to boot your OMV

Do a net search for your m'board you may have to change the way it boots one of those might be to turn off Secure Boot, these types of board are designed for Windows and a Linux install requires tweaking.

• The device sdd seems to be defective.

sorry what I meant by viewable I can illuminate with these pictures

https://imgur.com/a/Jb0uOUh

The sdb1-3 is the boot ssd. I think I will try to format the boot drive and reinstall omv. Maybe that would help.

By the way I am guessing that you are looking forward to the new dune movie coming up based on your profile picture :)

thanks for the reply. Your answer gave me, maybe, a solution, I am not sure anymore if I formatted my boot ssd to ext4 or if I just jammed it in when I bough it. Maybe I could try that.

I have never updated the bios, I did not know how to do it in Linux, only in windows. But I seems to understand by googling that the windows pc is only used for making the iso image to a usb. So I will try that soon.

I installed the os with the official guide, downloaded the iso on my pc, and made the image on a usb with “etcher”

I will also try playing with the startup setting in the bios. And double check the sata ports with the manual of the motherboard.

Sorry for the slow response, it have been a stressful day and it is a bit hard to find “playtime” with building the nas. I will process as fast as possible. Thanks for the answer.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have never updated the bios, I did not know how to do it in Linux, only in windows

Most 'modern' m'boards allow you to do a bios update from within the bios itself, some you have to download the file, copy it to a flash drive the just point to that drive from within the bios.

I am not sure anymore if I formatted my boot ssd to ext4

Shouldn't be necessary, the install takes care of that.

Worst case scenario if this fails again perhaps a Debian net install then install OMV using this script

• I have also had these Buffer I/O errors. Never happened before but now in 2 days two complete crashes. Yet drives are clean and have run tests. First the errors appeared on sdd (external USB). Now they appear on sde. I cannot believe I have multiple drives failing. Was there an update to OMV 5 on October 27th? My OMV box has been working great but suddenly I get these problems (and this is also why I noticed my fstab settings had changed from OMV 4 to 5 migration - hence 2 posts in 1 day).

Update: I had a flash drive USB stick plugged in for Clonezilla. I think the flashdrive has failed. I just unplugged it and rebooted and had a cleaner looking Dmesg so maybe this was the issue as the other drive is fine. I will report back if I get the same crash without the usb flash drive plugged in. thanks

• Most 'modern' m'boards allow you to do a bios update from within the bios itself, some you have to download the file, copy it to a flash drive the just point to that drive from within the bios.

Shouldn't be necessary, the install takes care of that.

Worst case scenario if this fails again perhaps a Debian net install then install OMV using this script

Sadly I want through everything. I even did a fresh format of the boot drive and a fresh install of the OS. but now only one drive, beside the boot ssd drive, is mountable/viewable

I think my next step is to try to install a older ISO than the newest, or try to install a debian lite and OMV on top. people say it should be more stable that way, but I am not sure and I would also have to find the correct OS. I will update when I am gone through those processes.

Edit I added the system log of a freshly install OS of the newest version. reboot in the GUI are not stable and manual turning on sometimes makes the NAS shutdown after some seconds of turning on. I dont know if it is useful with the system log but I though it might be before I start trying an older OS.

Edit 2: now all the error codes came in the system log

Update.

Okay i tried to install other former version of OMV 4.1.22. and the same error codes appeared. But only if I had certain disk in the sata ports. One disk would make the constant error codes and another would prevent the motherboard from booting. It is very good but as least I know it is not the software's fault. But it is kinda worse since I can't afford new hard drives now and I bought the next motherboard to run 4 hdd (5) at the same time instead of only 2 on the rock64pro. I will try to fiddle around with it, maybe changing cables would work, i doubt it but I hope.

I am starting to wonder if my new motherboard is default. Now the hdd that worked are stopping the OMV from booting.

Update 2 okay I am going crazy now I am loosing connection to more HDDs and only one is visible. But since it is a hardware relates problem then I should not take more of your time, thanks for the help and sorry about the problem.

• Chrisjay

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Chrisjay

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Fresh installed OMV 5 keep crashing.“ zu „Fresh installed OMV 5 keep crashing. (it was hardware issues)“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!