(SOLVED) Should I delete the downloads suggested in YouTube or can use them to continue building my Open Media Vault?

• Hello!

Thanks a lot people for accepting me here. I'm a 66 years old newbie trying to make my time left worthy by building a media vault. I'm working with a desktop Lenovo 2TB with OP Linux Mint 20 and a Raspberry Pi 4 8 Gb. So far, I have activated a VPN and a web page .php to access my Raspberry from the computer which is thankfully working fine. My next step was to try to create this Open Media Vault and started watching a video on YouTube in order to get it done. Unfortunately, I got lost with the narrative style of guy on the video ( my English is not very good) and couldn't continue any longer with this project.

The guy on the video recommended to download in the Raspberry the following command on the terminal : wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault -Plugin - Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

With such command I downloaded a lot of information but right now I don't know what to do with all that.

Question: Was this command good? If so what would be the next step for me to take:)?

Should I work directly on the Raspberry or access it from the PC?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Victor

• KM0201

Approved the thread.
  • With such command I downloaded a lot of information but right now I don't know what to do with all that.

Question: Was this command good? If so what would be the next step for me to take :) ?

That command installed OMV. So, if you want OMV, it is good. You just need to configure OMV to what you need it to do.

Should I work directly on the Raspberry or access it from the PC?

The main concept is that you can do everything from the web interface. You should not have a desktop environment installed on the RPi. So, that should be done from the PC. I haven't watched the video but I imagine it mentions that in the video. There are more videos here - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

omv 5.5.17-3 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

I downloaded the newest version of OMV and have problems to open it on Linus Mint 20 in my computer. I couldn't find anything in the beginners tutorial. The message I get is as follows:

Error: dependency is not satisfiable openmediavault (>=5.3.7.)

openmediavault ClamAV plugin

Clam AntiVirus is an anti-virus toolkit for Unix.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Vic

• Hello!

After a good deal of tinkering and reading, I finally could access the GUI logon, I changed my user name and password, clicked on and added systems accounts: adm, backup, sambashare, ssh, sudo, users. (docker wasn't included to be selected there).

In order to accomplish that, I accessed my raspberry pi 4 with Dataplicity instead of Putty, from my OS Linux 20.

Then I entered my IP address on the browser and voila, it opened up and accessed OMV with my new username and password.

<3

I did it that way, somehow differently of what I found in the tutorial videos because my IP was already compromised with Dataplicity and VNC.

So everything looks great so far. I hope that everything continues that way. I need to familiarize with everything and read more tutorials and will see what happens.

I'll put my humbly donation as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Victor

• Bioethical

Changed the title of the thread from “Should I delete the downloads suggested in YouTube or can use them to continue building my Open Media Vault?” to “(SOLVED) Should I delete the downloads suggested in YouTube or can use them to continue building my Open Media Vault?”.
  • If you have a Linux client (is, Mint 20). you don't need putty or any other SSH client.. just open a terminal and ssh username@serverip

You'll be promoted for your password for whatever user you used, then hit enter and it will connect via ssh.

Not sure I understand the vnc connection

• Hi,

It should have worked with the Linux Mint 20 terminal if I didn't have Dataplicity and a .php home page. My Raspberry password no longer works to log in on the terminal because Dataplicity or the .php home page are using and changing my IP. The message I get on the Mint terminal is that "someone else is doing something nasty" or something like that, so i have to use duplicity instead of the normal terminal.

• votdev

Added the Label resolved

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!