ntfs-3g and fstab

• Hi ryecoaaron. First thanks for all the work you do for OMV. Your posts have saved me numerous times. Kudos and thanks. I was able to migrate succcessfully from OMV 4 to 5 using your tools and it seemed to work perfectly. I had to abondon some plugins but the effort was worth it and Cockpit integration is great. Now my small observation. I have an external NTFS drive which I had previously mounted with NTFS-3G and had amended this in fstab. When I ran the upgrade tools, FSTAB file was replaced and the NTFS-3G mount was replaced by NTFS. This for me is an issue because I use the NTFS drive to make backups and my past experience was that without NTFS-3G permissions were not correctly recorded. Is it possible somehow that a user gets a notification that FSTAB will be replaced during the upgrade. Thanks.

• You can't edit fstab in the openmediavault generated section. And if you change the filesystem type from ntfs to ntfs-3g in the mntent section of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml, it might generate the right fstab entry but there is no backend for ntfs-3g. So, nothing else will work with that entry in the web interface. All I can say is use a Linux-native filesystem.

omv 5.5.17-3 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the quick answer. I installed already ntfs-3g from the command line some time ago. It originally worked by editing the fstab entries and it did appear to be mounted as ntfs-3g. I do appreciate this is not an ideal situation but the idea of using ntfs was to allow me to use the drive in windows and linux. As it turns out (today I am sick at home so I have some rare time), my back up solution is duplicacy and the developer told me the file permission data is stored in metadata so it does not matter if the filesystem is mounted as ntfs-3g or not. So for my current purpose it should be ok. Thanks again for the great support!

• I installed already ntfs-3g from the command line some time ago. It originally worked by editing the fstab entries and it did appear to be mounted as ntfs-3g

Yep that should work until something in omv triggers an fstab re-write. The web interface also keeps working because the database still says ntfs.

I do appreciate this is not an ideal situation but the idea of using ntfs was to allow me to use the drive in windows and linux.

What is your use case? The idea of adding drives to a NAS is that you don't have to connect them to the client anymore.

my back up solution is duplicacy and the developer told me the file permission data is stored in metadata so it does not matter if the filesystem is mounted as ntfs-3g or not.

Good to hear.

omv 5.5.17-3 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!