On a dual HDD NAS can I use the 2nd HDD as the backup destination of the 1st HDD on Odroid HC4?

• I'm thinking to buy a HC4 because I like the dual sata layout perfect for the raid setup. The only absurd thing is using the sd card for the system and constantly fear for a fail of the memory.

I wonder if I can use a usb to ssd instead the sd card, anyone tried this solution?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm thinking to buy a HC4 because I like the dual sata layout perfect for the raid setup. The only absurd thing is using the sd card for the system and constantly fear for a fail of the memory.

I wonder if I can use a usb to ssd instead the sd card, anyone tried this solution?

I'd use one drive for backups and the other for data, rather than set up RAID. Or both in a mergerfs pool and backup to some other drive/NAS. But I don't have a HC4.

I once configured a HC1 to have the operating system on the HDD (actually a SSD) rather than using the SD card. I still need to have boot files on the SD card, but after booting the SD card is not used at all.

I used the utility nand-sata-install that come with armbian. If I remember correctly, I first installed OMV as usual, but had the SSD already partitioned with the future root partition and the future storage partition. Once OMV was running, I simply ran nand-sata-install and copied the rootfs to the prepared partition on the SSD. And rebooted. And all was fine.

With the HC4 this might be even more useful. You could have several HDDs with very different configurations. And just swap and boot. Might be nice for backups of other NAS over the network? Just insert the right backup drive and boot the HC4.

I assume you can also configure the HC4 to boot from the network. Using stuff like PXE, NFS and tftp. I haven't tried it. Yet...

• I'd use one drive for backups and the other for data, rather than set up RAID. Or both in a mergerfs pool and backup to some other drive/NAS. But I don't have a HC4.

I once configured a HC1 to have the operating system on the HDD (actually a SSD) rather than using the SD card. I still need to have boot files on the SD card, but after booting the SD card is not used at all.

In my system I run also Home Assistant with Grafana that reduce really much sd life.

Buy a 1tb ssd for system+data is wasteful, other solution could be buy a emmc-to-sd or a ssd-to-usb. About the last solution I am in doubt about speed drop caused by usb 2 port.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!