Is OMV right for me?

• Here is my hardware:

• Xeon E3 1240v5
    • 32 GB (2 DIMM) Crucial ECC RAM
    • 6x8TB Seagate Iron Wolf HDD
    • m.2 system drive

I am CURRENTLY RUNNING WINDOWS 10 ON THIS MACHINE with about 13TB of data used in my BIOS RAID6 array. I chose Windows 10 at first because I needed to run HD Home Run. Now, that's no longer relevant and I'm free!

Use cases are:

• Media server for Windows, Kodi, and Mac, and iOS devices
    • Home server for files and such
    • Torrent seeding and download
    • ROM server for HyperSpin/emulation
    • Potentially as server for my D&D game? Maybe not...

Note that I have to figure out some way to incorporate all the data I currently have on my Windows drives in the machine, so please take that into account!

Is OMV right for me? Will it be able to accept my Windows HDD data?

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Is OMV right for me? Will it be able to accept my Windows HDD data?

The reddit responses are correct. OMV should work and you can mount your windows filesystem. once you get more drives, I would convert to a native Linux filesystem though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Damn, you're still trying to figure this out? This just doesn't seem like an incredibly difficult thing to accomplish to me.

If it were me....

You say you have 6, 8tb NTFS drives that have 13tb of data.

I'd take two of the 8tb drives, make sure all data is on those two drives, and format the other 4 as ext4 or btrfs. If you want them in raid, snapraid, etc.. go ahead and do that. Once all the data is off your 2 ntfs drives, and onto the newly formatted ext4 drives... format them ext4 or btrfs and copy the data back. Take the two drives and put them up as an external backup (I have some of those plastic hard cases that are like $10 bucks for this, or you could put them in a USB hub, whatever you want).

This will give you 32tb of internal storage (so about 1.5x the data you currently have) and about 16tb of back up on the external drives.

• It will work as I understand. You can also check the compatibility when getting OMV. However, find the OMV hardware requirements on the net. You can also call the master to explain it to you. He might do it even by phone.

• If you are gona share those through SMB\CIFS and will format them anyway to EXT4 or BTRFS , then I would recommend EXT4 as from experiments i made it produced better write performance

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are gona share those through SMB\CIFS and will format them anyway to EXT4 or BTRFS , then I would recommend EXT4 as from experiments i made it produced better write performance

I think the key to btrfs, much like zfs, is quality hardware. If you're running on 'yester-years' hardware.. I'd agree to stick with ext4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!