Looking to start using Openmediavault

• I am looking to start using OMV, right now I have an old XPS 400 with 2 500gb laptop HDDs in stripe that I'm using to test. I am thinking of taking the dive and using it, but I do have a concern. If I set this up in a more permanent solution and the motherboard dies, how do I ensure I can recover the raid array? I would set it up in raid5 or raid6. Thanks in advance for any help.

• You should try to delete the striped raid array and use the two 500 GB disks in OMV as single disks. By the way with only two disks it is not possible to create a RAID 5 or RAID 6 array, only RAID 0 or RAID 1.

There are several possibilities in OMV to use the second disk as an backup storage for the first drive. And this process can be completely automated.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you use mdadm, then you can move the drives to any Linux machine and rebuild the array. But I would ask yourself if you really need raid. If you are using raid to pool disks, the unionfilesystems or mergerfsfolders plugin allow you to do that. If a drive fails, you only lose the access to the content on that disk. And since raid isn't backup either, you should be able to add a new disk and restore from backup to get the content back. If you are looking for greater speed and have 10G ethernet, then raid would be a better choice.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I would second that thought....Is raid really needed?
    For me, (after using Raid for a long time on a Synology), the answer was no.

Personally, I prefer the added disk space (using LVM) with a rigorous backup strategy.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!