OMV GUI Login Error: Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory

• I have been struggling with this for hours, but still cannot resolve the following error when I login to OMV 5 GUI. Steps:

1. Go to server IP using default port 80

2. Systems displays login page.

4. Enter admin/password.

5. There is some delay then it throws the following error:

Code
    Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory
    Error #0:OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:141Stack trace:#0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(57): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)#1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)#5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()#6 {main}

I checked this board, and in the other case I found it said to check for unsupported plugins, which I did:

Code
    dpkg -l | grep openm

with these results:

Code
    ii openmediavault 5.5.16-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii openmediavault-flashmemory 5.0.7 all folder2ram plugin for OpenMediaVault
    ic openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 5.4.2 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    ic openmediavault-usbbackup 5.0.6-1 all openmediavault USB/eSATA backup plugin
    ic openmediavault-wol 3.4.2 all OpenMediaVault WOL plugin

Note my configuration on Raspberry Pi 3:

Code
    Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.46 experimental Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 5.4.72-v7+
    System load: 0.00 0.00 0.00 Up time: 4:19 hours
    Memory usage: 10 % of 974MB IP: 192.168.0.19
    CPU temp: 55°C
    Usage of /: 34% of 7.2G storage/: 6% of 1.8T

I also tried:

Code
    omv-aptclean

which threw a few errors at the end.

Code
    E: Failed to fetch file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Packages.gz Method gave a blank filename
    E: Failed to fetch file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-all.gz File not found - /var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-all.gz (2: No such file or directory)
    [tt]E: Failed to fetch file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-armhf.gz File not found - /var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-armhf.gz (2: No such file or directory)
    E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Also rebooted after with errors:

Also you should know that when I use:

Code
    omv-firstaid

I get a bunch of error messages saying the various .rrd files have timestamps in the future. Each time I run it, answering Yes to delete the files, it says it is deleting them (50 files each time), I can do this indefinitely, even between reboots. That doesn't make sense to me.

"date" returns correct date, time and timezone and I am using a timeserver.

Any ideas? What should I try next?

• ic openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

Try

Code
    wget -O "/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/openmediavault-archive-keyring.asc" https://packages.openmediavault.org/public/archive.key
    apt-key add "/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/openmediavault-archive-keyring.asc"
    apt-get update
  • Thanks for the recommendation. After running the commands and a reboot, I am still getting the same exact errors logging into the GUI. Could this be a permissions issue? Also note that there were errors. Here is the terminal output of all three of the above commands with errors highlighted:

Here is the dpkg list:

Code
    root@MediaServerPi1:~# dpkg -l | grep openm
    ii openmediavault 5.5.16-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ic openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 5.4.2 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    root@MediaServerPi1:~#

It looks like the keyring version didn't change.

Any other thoughts on how to resolve?

• Hi, Ran suggested commands and got some errors:

apt clean:

Code
    E: Failed to fetch file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Packages.gz Method gave a blank filename
    E: Failed to fetch file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-armhf.gz File not found - /var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-armhf.gz (2: No such file or directory)
    E: Failed to fetch file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-all.gz File not found - /var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-all.gz (2: No such file or directory)
    E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    ERROR: Command 'omv-aptclean' returned non-zero exit status 100.

apt-get update produced similar errors:

Code
    E: Failed to fetch file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-armhf.gz File not found - /var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Contents-armhf.gz (2: No such file or directory)

Are these critical errors?

Thanks for your help with this!

• I really dislike these trainwreck rpi installs... Did you install with the install script or update from 4.x??

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-local.list

sudo omv-aptclean

wget http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/pool/main/o/openmediavault-keyring/openmediavault-keyring_1.0_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i openmediavault-keyring_1.0_all.deb

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install openmediavault-usbbackup openmediavault-wol

omv 5.5.23 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I updated from OMV 4, and I am truly sorry for the trouble.

I executed all the commands. Rebooted and cleared my browser cache. None of the commands threw errors, but the problem remains. Note that the I am able to access shared directories and media files using VMC, so it seems the underlying services are running, just can't use the web interface. I tried changing the port in omv-firstaid and it threw an error as well.

ERROR: Failed to connect /var/lib/openmediavault/engined.sock: [Errno 2] No such file or directory.

GUI Login throws the same error as before:

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:141
    Stack trace:
    #0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(57): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)
    #5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #6 {main}

Results for

dpkg -l | grep openm

Code
    ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

Should the keyring version be 1.0?

• I finally got it working. The problem was that openmediavault-engined was somehow masked and was not starting. I have no idea how this happened.

First I unmasked the file:

Systemctl umask openmediavault-engined

Bash
    Systemctl umask openmediavault-engined
    Systemctl start openmediavault-engined

I was then able to login, even after a reboot, but things were missing from the GUI.

So I ran

Bash
    omv-aptclean

Rebooted, cleared cache, and we are up and running.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!