BananaPi M2U - R40 - Armbian 20.8 Buster, Kernel 5.8.16 - OMV setup fails

• Armbianmonitor: http://ix.io/2ErE

Hi folks,

i was running Openmediavault 5 on an BananaPi M1 with Amrbian Buster for years and it worked all fine.

Now i "upgraded" to an M2U because of the RAM and real Sata support.

I installed the newest stable buster image 20.08 (also tried old ones and the nightly) because OMV does not support bullseye yet.

After this, i just did "apt update" and "apt install armbian-config". I have choosen in softy the OMV setup.

I also tried it again with the OMV install script for Armbian (https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…lling_OMV5_on_Armbian.pdf).

In both cases i couldn't install it. I waited with softy almost 24h to install it, but it got stuck (no cpu usage, nothing happens).

Then i forced a reboot and i got the "You have mail message", which looks like this:

After continuing with "sudo dpkg --configure -a" i have a second stuck at installing "lvm2 (2.03202-3)".

I forced again a restart and continuied with "sudo dpkg --configure -a"

If i try to install with the OMV 5 Armbian script, the first stuck is while "generating mdam.conf". The rest is the same.

Can anyone help?

PS: i also noticed in htop the 0 MHz in CPU frequency.

Also the path "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq" does not exist (cpu0 is the last available folder).

Is there something wrong with the image?

I found a very old stretch image with a Kernel 3.x.

There i don't got any of these problems. But i dont want to use stretch and OMV4^^

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

How old is your sd card?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

PS: i also noticed in htop the 0 MHz in CPU frequency.

Also the path "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq" does not exist (cpu0 is the last available folder).

Is there something wrong with the image?

Have you searched or reported this issue on the Armbian forum?

• I tried two SD cards. The first was an old 16GB but i have the Same issues with my SanDisk Extreme 64 U3 card (was running 2 years Buster OMV5 on my BananaPi M1).

I reported the same issue in Armbian forum. The 0MHz is "normal". The R40 is officially not supported.

See my Armbian post: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…nel-5816-omv-setup-fails/

And yes, i tried also old build (buster image of armbian is already old).

• Offizieller Beitrag

i was running Openmediavault 5 on an BananaPi M1 with Amrbian Buster for years and it worked all fine.

Now i "upgraded" to an M2U because of the RAM and real Sata support.

There's an old axiom, "if it works don't fix it". (I realize that you may not want to hear that.)

I found a very old stretch image with a Kernel 3.x.

There i don't got any of these problems. But i dont want to use stretch and OMV4

This appears to be the only choice, for the moment.

While this would "backing into an "upgrade", you could install the image that delivers OMV4. Then, when all is up-to-date (OS and OMV) but with no add-on's or plugin's installed; do omv-release-upgrade on the CLI. It might not work but, in this case, it might be worth a try.

If it works CLONE the SD-card, using new cards, and set one aside permanently (for recovery purposes).

• Offizieller Beitrag

The issues you are having aren't caused by OMV. I could possibly fix something in the install script if I had one of them but I'm not sure it is worth the time since it is not supported by Armbian. Unless you know your hardware, I would only use boards supported by Armbian.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I'll take it that the "back in" approach, from OMV4, probably won't work.

Unlikely especially if using the install script.

• Yeah, it's my bad, that i didnt chekc the official armbian support for M2U.

I thought whenever M1 is still supported, why shouldnt be the newer M2U^^

Unfortunatly i could use the OMV install script with Armbian Stretch and Kernel 5.x.

But still had some strange effect like no CPU frequency etc.

Yes, the M1 was running "fine", except the lack of RAM. As i wanted to install next to OMV some iobroker, nodered, mySQL and JD2.

Wish i could download some RAM :D

But for the records:

I used the newest official Debian stretch image from BananaPi M2U with Kernel 3.x.

Then i made a dist-upgrade to Debian buster. I was able to install OMV5 with the install script.

I can also monitor CPU frequency (not via htop, but the /cpu0 path is available).

The perfomace data graphs are empty (which doesn't bother me, cause i want to log & build my own graphs with nodered and mysql).

And the OMV5 Docker plugin doesnt work, but i will try to install it manually.

Besides that im fine right now :P

Thanks for all of your answers :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!