Harddrive SMART warning & strange behaviour after power fault

• Hi there!

I am running OMV4 (Arrakis) on a 4-disc array and tinyPC. This week we've had a power fault, which affected the whole street, so it was not limited to my house. After power had been turned on again, the PC started with a loud beep and there was a SMART message with error code #AD. However I could continue booting up my OMV, yet I know I have to fear a harddrive failure any time.

OMV booted up normally and my RAID-5 setup was working as usual. I could also access my netdrive folders as usual and I started freshing up my latest backup in order to prepare for a new harddrive. Anyway, Windows started acting weird on 4 machines by several apps not reacting anymore, respectively extremely delayed, partially waiting for minutes just to have any reaction. These "breaks" occurred again and again, making any work impossible.

Especially those apps and programs had been affected permanently:

• CMD
    • File explorer
    • File commander tools
    • Task manager

However, I could use Firefox normally. This problem ended abruptly after disconnecting the machines from the network. Never mind if wireless or by cable, the problem returned immediately after reconnecting to the network.

After testing switch, resetting network sockets and router I figured out it was my NAS, because after shutting it down (I wanted to wait until my backup being finished) all machines worked fine again with running network connection.

I hope somebody can support me to find the best way for make my NAS running properly again.

I was thinking of:

• Popping in a new HDD
      • Is it possible to clone the whole OMV system? Which tool would be recommended?
      • Can I re-use my existing RAID-5 with a freshly installed OMV, maybe OMV5? Afaik I have to make sure the users are exactly the same just like before, what else do I have to do?
    • Since my NAS caused so much trouble, could something else be the reason? Network card e.g.? How can I test it? I am not very familiar with command lines, so some help would be very cool

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sometimes IP adresses change after the router is rebooted. Then it is possible that the OMV server has the same IP as some other equipment. Or some other clash in the LAN. And then things can get very strange indeed.

Check to see what IPs are used. In the router DHCP-server and on equipment with fixed IP.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Sometimes IP adresses change after the router is rebooted. Then it is possible that the OMV server has the same IP as some other equipment. Or some other clash in the LAN. And then things can get very strange indeed.

Check to see what IPs are used. In the router DHCP-server and on equipment with fixed IP.

Thank you for the suggestion, I checked the IP addresses inside my range, but the NAS has got an unique IP. The problem is lasting, but not on the new PC of my wife. Just in my room. What can I do now?

Update:

I have now checked hardware options to explude them as a possible reason. I have plugged in the PC into the patch connector directly, the NAS as well. By doing so I could at least exclude my switch or the 3rd floor's patch connections as the reason. As soon as the NAS is only, my PCs are behaving like crap.

Most strange thing is,. the PC of my wife continues to behave absolutely normal.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!