omv5 or OS blocking network after subnet change

• Hi

Problem: after changing subnet of omv5, the external connection to my nas and dns is no longer working

- I installed the latest omv5 on SD card (terramaster nas F4-422: intell cpu, 12Gb ram and 3 nic's insite) by creating an vmware image, convert the image, update grub, update os, (...) I used DHCP address with fixed lease of 192.168.1.12/24. Gateway and DNS given by dhcp: 192.168.1.1. Everything is working fine.

- I switched my server subnet 192.168.30.x/24 (by gui or omv-firstaid).

- Reboot.

Problem:

- DNS no longer working: on ssh prompt nlookup http://www.google.be -> no server found.

- external connection is no longer possible (e.g. ping)

However:

- after reboot: I got my dhcp addresses 192.168.30.12

- after reboot the ssh message is telling me my gui is available on 192.168.30.12:80

- on the ssh prompt I see my gui is listening on *:80. with telnet I can check this: ok. site reachable

What I tried:

network:

- omv-firstaid: nic fix addresses. somethimes it gave me errors back, sometimes not.

- omv-firstaid: reconfigure gui port

--> I checked /etc/netplan/* and applied netplan. It is not here where it is going wrong.

- restart nginx, reconfigure nginx: "omv-salt stage run deploy"

- I make sure apache is off.

- iptables => alle chains accept. No firewall configured.

- routing: my routes for the new subnet looks fine.

DNS:

- manual overwrite dns in /etc/resolv.conf by adding my dns server

I slowly realised it is propably not the omv install itself, but somewhere in my OS level, my subnet is hardcoded. When I go back to the old subnet, everything is working fine.

Can someone point me out where else I can dig?;(

regards

Johan.

• votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Hi

I did some more research:

- complete new install starting from my subnet (192.168.30.x): on vmware level everythings works fine. After that I need to convert to an img file, write it to my SD-card and put it on my omv nas.

- I connected a laptop to my omv network cable to check if my switch is configured well.

- my switch (zyxel 1900, L2 switch) is setup to tag all packages with vlan ID 3.

--> conclusion: I have the same issues: on ssh shell: dns is blocking; omv is not reachable from outsite; I can get dhcp addresses.

lesson: I learned omv is not blocking some IP's / IP's are not hardcoded insite. However, vlan tagging is not working as expected on omv.

Second experiment:

- create nic enp2s0 without vlan: 192.168.1.12 using omv-firstaid

- create vlan port on enp2so.3 (192.168.30.17)

- config switch to be on default (no vlan) network, be a trunk and let pass tagged ID3 traffic.

conclusion: both interfaces are working fine. Nice. It seems tagging traffic down the road on the switch is not a good idea with omv. However it works fine for other devices.

to be continued:

- I like to block regular access and only keep the tagged vlan3 traffic.

- I need to bond 2 nic on this vlan3. this can't be done via gui. LACP protocol used.

- I have a third 10Gbit nic which should directly connect, without switch, to one of my PC's.

Johan.

• Hi

First 2 points accomplished:

- I like to block regular access and only keep the tagged vlan3 traffic.

- I need to bond 2 nic on this vlan3. this can't be done via gui. LACP protocol used.

1) first point: my bonding port bond0 has no explicitly assigned ip address. See config below. In theorie a hacker could gain access on my terramaster, reconfigure my network and assign himself an regular address. It is not blocked on switch level. (If I do so, the vlan 3 subnet won't work anymore)

2) second point: Define on switch level a LAG with 802.3ad (also called LACD) support.

3) for backup purposes, I keep a simple config created via the omv5 gui. This will be overwritten afterwards.

I created a 60-myconfig.yaml file. This file is executed after the other one. Pay attention, you may no longer apply network config via the gui. It will may clear /etc/netplan/*

execute and apply network:

netplan --debug try

netplan --debug generate

netplan --debug apply

systemctl restart networking

The last point is remaining. Keep you posted.

And my original question: still stands. omv doesn't like vlan tagging on my switch. I found a workaround by using bond0.3 subnetting without giving the bon0 interfaces an IP in the main subnet.

• Hi

After weeks of searching, I managed to get most of it working:

- my omv has 3 nic's (terramaster):

-> 2x 1Gb, bonded to one 2 Gbit line. It is connected to a Gb switch/router. (192.168.30.12/24)

- >1x 10Gb link directly connected to my main PC without switch/routing. (omv 192.168.60.1/24 and .2 on my main PC)

- my main PC has a several nics. One is connected to the a Gb switch/router. (192.168.30.xxx/24) and the 10Gb card. Directly connected to my ovm.

Problems I ran into:

- network stack of my main pc (win10 was corrupt). I had to reset.

- configuring bonding on my switch zyxel and omv via 802.3ad. -> check bonding info:

Code
    cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
    networkctl list

- making sur omv respons to the same interface as the tcp package is comming from. -> using routing tables in netplan. I debugged with wireshark on my main pc an iftop on linux.

- OMV only supports simple network setups. More advanced onces should be handled via ssh and /etc/netplan. Use netplan starting with 60 so OMV generated netplan files are overwritten. I did not define any interface in omv gui.

- wrong MTU values. Please start with the default "1500" and if this is working, change it to the desired value. In my case 9014 on a Marvell AQtion 10Gbit Network Adapter set to "mtu = 9000". (header bytes should be taken into account on omv)

Working config om my OMV: /etc/netplan/60.yaml

- omv connected to 2 subnets

- unknown ip's are rerouted to the default gateway.

I abandon the use of vlans.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!