• After a move to new hardware, something happened to my RAID array. It no longer shows up and the RAID volume no longer shows under the GUI. I currently have it running on ESX 6.7 with a LSI controller in IT mode in PCI passthrough. I've read through some other threads about doing a reassemble through MDADM, but that failed, complaining of drives in use and drives already belonging to another RAID. I'm not sure what happened, but it might be due to a loose connection during the server build. I haven't been able to find any issue in the hardware, but it seemed to happen right after a reboot and some of the drives were clicking quite a bit. Thank you for your help in advance!

Here are the logs that are requested in the sticky thread:

Code
    root@ismhomenas:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md4 : inactive sdd3[8]
    7809204560 blocks super 1.2

unused devices: <none>

Code
    root@ismhomenas:~# mdadm --detail --scan --verbose
    INACTIVE-ARRAY /dev/md4 level=raid6 num-devices=5 metadata=1.2 name=ISMHomeNAS:4 UUID=55a2948b:95d103e4:f98f8cd5:6648fa83
    devices=/dev/sdd3

Here is the output from the assemble command:

Code
    root@ismhomenas:~# mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md127 /dev/sd[bcdef]3
    mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md127
    mdadm: /dev/sdd3 is busy - skipping
    mdadm: Found some drive for an array that is already active: /dev/md/ISMHomeNAS:4
    mdadm: giving up.
  • I was able to get the RAID to appear again by stopping the MDADM process first with "mdadm --stop /dev/md4" then running the assemble command again, Here is the output:

None of my files are there anymore. I can't believe they're all just gone... All the drives are clean from what I can tell, so I can't understand what might have happened.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok I have no knowledge of ESXi/ESX but this -> some of the drives were clicking quite a bit. Suggests either the drives are failing or there is a hardware issue, drives will still function but they become intermittent in their read.

But 2; the output from cat /proc/mdstat is the first indicator that there is a problem it only shows 1 drive

But 3; detail scan confirms the output from mdstat

So with the output from those two it would suggest the Raid is toast or it will be, even though you have managed to assemble it.

I have manged to rescue a 'clicking' drive, get the data off it and even clone it, but that was pure luck.

I don't suppose you have a back up do you :)

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• There are automatic tools for searching for configuration and restoring RAID. If you set the array level in it, it will try to find the initial sequence of disks, the block size, and assume an algorithm for writing information to disks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!