Dual On-board intel i210 low performance

• Hello,

I installed OMV 5.X on the ASRock X570D4U motherboard (the one without 10 GbE NICS). It has a dual NIC INTEL i210 ethernet controller.

Everything works out-of-the-box. But my network speed is slow, transferring a file has a speed around 25 MB/s - 35 MB/s. I tested directly between a laptop and the motherboard via a cross-cable, same issue occurs.

If I ping (also via cross-cable), then I get a response around 1.5ms - 2.5ms.

I use only one port, so aggregation is not configured. The box has static IP address set.

Via ethtool I see that the connection speed is set to 1000 Mb/s.

It is a plain installation, not yet plug-ins activated.

I installed Windows on the same motherboard, then I see a response of <= 1ms. Also the file transfer is around 80-90 MB/s.

Can someone give me some pointers to look for?

Thanks

• Hi,

What I already checked:

iPerf gives me a network speed between 320 Mbps and 350 Mbps. I compiled the latest Linux drivers from Intel for the igb drivers, but no luck. Thankfully with some good guide here.

I stumbled on a thread for another NAS system, which says there is a bug in the BIOS/Firmware of the Asrock X570D4U regarding the network performance. Read the post dated on 11/26/2020 in topic ASRock Rack X570D4U - Performance.

I will wait on a new BIOS/Firmware, in the meantime I ordered a PCIe network card based on the intel i350.

• Hi

with 10gig nics, several items are very important:

- jumboframes must be set to as high as possible in your entire network: nic and switch. size e.g.: 9k

. This item alone, can double to tripple your speed.

- offloading could help.

- Can you describe how you test your speed: is the nic the problem, or the HDD/OS combination after it?

• The OP isn't using 10G nics and I agree, jumbo frames aren't needed for 10G. I don't use jumbo frames at home or work. You would have to be using a very old CPU to be the bottleneck here.

In this case, it is a relatively new board and the Linux drivers are probably not perfect yet.

omv 5.5.23 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your input.

I believe there's a bug in the BIOS/Firmware for the interaction with the Intel i210 NICs. I tried a PCIe add-on card (Startech) which have two i350 NICs on them. There I get a regular speed. But I have another problem with that PCIe card, as it blocks booting. But pushing the power button twice within a second makes continue the booting process.

I wait until there's a new BIOS and retry later.

• Hi,

After trying everything I could possibly can, including debugging the igb kernel module and trying out different loading params, I've opened a communication channel with Asrock and they got back to me reassuringly.

And I quote:

"We previously tested the results found to be caused by the version of AGESA Code provided by AMD, AMD has been notified to deal with this issue, AMD is currently testing and dealing with this issue, waiting for AMD to provide a revised AGESA Code, we will upload the BIOS to the official website as soon as possible"

I was also informed that in a very short while, a release version for the BIOS and also BMC will be available for the motherboard.

Regards.

• Wow, thanks for the feedback dlbogdan and for looking to this issue. I'm not a Linux expert.

One month ago I bought the Intel X550-T2 PCIe network card, after compiling the Intel ixgbe driver I get good performance. Or let's say, the expected one.

Regards

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!