At this time I have an old mint based RAID 1 server(2 x 4 TB and for the raid one 2 TB non raid). The Hardware is old and it is showing signs it might break down any time now. Before it breaks down I would like to build a new system. For the old system I did configure all the software, did install samba, nfs, wake on LAN, SSH with a key and more. The point is this did take much too much time and effort. I did have a look at FreeNAS and it does look promising, but when reading more about free NAS solutions I read a remark that FreeNAS is open BSD based and OMV is based on Debian, so basically OMV looks more like Mint linux which I use now.
This is a kind of chicken and egg situation as I did not use a Free NAS OS before, so maybe I want to do more with the system than described in this usercase.
- File share with SAMBA and or NFS
- Zone Minder (a surveillance software system)
- I want to run virtual machines like WIN10, Mint and more so I can log in to it with another machine on the network and use this OS
- Wake on LAN
- It must be silent as possible so maybe it is possible to do Zone Minder can store data on a SSD and after a while turn on the RAID 1 HD's and copy the contect from the SSD to the RAID HDD's and turn off the HDD's again. I do not know if it is possible maybe someone can tell me.
- Backup data to the cloud
- Want to be able to log in to the OMV with a web browser or virtual desktop
- maybe more as it is a chicken and egg situation for me
- Motherboard: ASRock X470 Master SLI reasoning: M2 Pcie3.0x4, 6x SATA-600, network Intel I211AT, ECC support, no active fan (?). Price 150 Eu
- 256 gig Samsung EVO plus reasoning: already have got this one, it is fast etc.
- AMD Ryzen 3 3100 reasoning: 16MB level 3 cache, DDR4-3200, faster compared to the old i3 and the new i3's do not support ECC. Price: Eu 110
- 2 x Kingston KSM32ES8/8HD (= 2 x 60Eu) or 2 x Kingston KSM32RS8/8MEI (= 2 x 50 Eu) reasoning: it is 2 x 8 gig ECC do not know which option is the best choice.
- An old used pasive videocard EN9400GT to be honest I do not know if I can use it because it is a PCI-e 2.0 x16 reasoning: Old but I will only use it to install the OS then I hope I will never use a monitor again for this server. I even saw some low cost usb videocards but I do not want to spend too much time on this subject.
- A Big CPU cooler so it will not make too much noise, (I hate noise) Price: about 60 Eu
- A old Lian Li computer case,it has got 4 x 3.5 "bays and 4 big ones reasoning: enough room for the 3 HDD's, it is functional
- A old Be quit S8-400W PSU reasoning: I already have got it
I also did take a look at some Motherboards with a CPU on it, but they did not support all the functions like ECC still I find them tempting because of the low price point.
As I started with the FreeNAS idea I did read ECC is a better option compared to non ECC so I kind of is stuck in my head.
- Does anyone has got some experience with a ASRock X470 Master SLI Motherboard?
- If I build it I would like to test the system without the HDD's in it to see if it is stable enough what is the best way to do this?
- What do you think of the above setup? For me this is a lot of cash so I think I better ask before buy.
- Are Ryzen CPU's stable? I did read some horror stories about unstable Ryzen systems but that was when the Ryzen was relative new to the marktet.
I hope some of you can help me with the above