Backup plugin - use folder other than 'omvbackup'

• I use the OMV Backup plugin to clone my system to a dd image periodically. The backup files are, of course, stored in a subfolder 'omvbackup' under my selected destination shared folder.

I'd like to use a more descriptive folder name. How do I change this - I'm thinking editing the /usr/sbin/omv-backupcommand in the scheduled backup job with a custom argument should do the trick?

• You can't change it. If you edit the backup script, it will be overwritten on plugin upgrades. Why not just create a new shared folder that has a more descriptive name?

omv 5.5.23 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sure, I could do that I guess (though then I'd still have to live with a subfolder 'omvbackup').

But are you saying that just updating the plugin overwrites the existing scheduled job? I wasn't talking about editing any scripts, just the job itself (within the web GUI).

• though then I'd still have to live with a subfolder 'omvbackup'

Oh the horror lol.

But are you saying that just updating the plugin overwrites the existing scheduled job? I wasn't talking about editing any scripts, just the job itself (within the web GUI).

No, updating the plugin does not overwrite the existing scheduled job. But there is nothing to change with that job. All it does is execute omv-backup. There are no arguments. So, you would have to edit the script and that edit would be overwritten by a plugin upgrade.

• Ok, since it was an easy change, I added the ability to change the directory name and filename prefix by setting variables in /etc/default/openmediavault. 5.2.2 is in the repo now.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…er/usr/sbin/omv-backup#L8

• No, just add the following to /etc/default/openmediavault. You don't have to change both. You can one or both.

OMV_BACKUP_DIR_NAME="new-dir-name"

OMV_BACKUP_FILE_PREFIX="backup-prefix-name"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!