Backup plugin - use folder other than 'omvbackup'

• I use the OMV Backup plugin to clone my system to a dd image periodically. The backup files are, of course, stored in a subfolder 'omvbackup' under my selected destination shared folder.

I'd like to use a more descriptive folder name. How do I change this - I'm thinking editing the /usr/sbin/omv-backupcommand in the scheduled backup job with a custom argument should do the trick?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't change it. If you edit the backup script, it will be overwritten on plugin upgrades. Why not just create a new shared folder that has a more descriptive name?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sure, I could do that I guess (though then I'd still have to live with a subfolder 'omvbackup').

But are you saying that just updating the plugin overwrites the existing scheduled job? I wasn't talking about editing any scripts, just the job itself (within the web GUI).

• Offizieller Beitrag

though then I'd still have to live with a subfolder 'omvbackup'

Oh the horror lol.

But are you saying that just updating the plugin overwrites the existing scheduled job? I wasn't talking about editing any scripts, just the job itself (within the web GUI).

No, updating the plugin does not overwrite the existing scheduled job. But there is nothing to change with that job. All it does is execute omv-backup. There are no arguments. So, you would have to edit the script and that edit would be overwritten by a plugin upgrade.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, since it was an easy change, I added the ability to change the directory name and filename prefix by setting variables in /etc/default/openmediavault. 5.2.2 is in the repo now.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…er/usr/sbin/omv-backup#L8

• You're awesome.

Do I insert the following two lines exactly as shown while simply changing the names inside quotes?

Code
    OMV_BACKUP_DIR_NAME=${OMV_BACKUP_DIR_NAME:-"omvbackup"}
    OMV_BACKUP_FILE_PREFIX=${OMV_BACKUP_FILE_PREFIX:-"backup-omv"}
    • Offizieller Beitrag

No, just add the following to /etc/default/openmediavault. You don't have to change both. You can one or both.

OMV_BACKUP_DIR_NAME="new-dir-name"

OMV_BACKUP_FILE_PREFIX="backup-prefix-name"

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!