Internet connection sharing

• I have a NAS running OMV5 that has 2 ethernet ports. One is built into the motherboard, one is a PCIe card. The one built into the mobo is the one that is connected to my home router, the other is unused. I am currently trying to basically setup "internet connection sharing" where I want to be able to plug an ethernet cable into the spare NIC on my NAS, and run it to my sons PC. I have tried just about every "bridge" guide I can find... OMV Web GUI doesn't really help, the systemd file creation and what not allowed my sons PC to connect, but it doesnt have internet or network access (shows as unidentified network on his Win10 system).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Corey

• Anybody? I have tried doing everything in the links below:

Setting_up_your_Bridge

https://www.audio-linux.com/html/bridge.html

The OMV GUI option to bridge doesnt work really the way I'd figure... Within the GUI, I can see my ethernet port enp3s0 which is connected DHCP to my router (which has it set to a static IP address) as the only interface. Clicking to add a new one, and then selecting "Bridge", I can then see my OTHER network card enp6s0, but selecting it alone doesnt allow it to provide a network/internet connection to the PC on the other end of the ethernet cable. I would expect to need to be able to select both enp3s0 and enp6s0 to actually create a bridge to pass internet connection to another computer, or what?

Regardless, nothing will allow internet/network passthrough. It shows on the Win 10 PC that his computer is connecting to an "unidentified network" that doesn't assign him an IP address or provide network access.

• Your approach is incorrect. Plug both computers into the router instead.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Your approach is incorrect. Plug both computers into the router instead.

My OMV server sits under my sons room. It is running directly to the router (the enp3s0 port) via cat6. I am trying to SHARE internet access with my sons computer as he says his wifi is too slow. So I have dropped a cat6 line down from his computer and want to plug it into the spare ethernet port on my OMV server, enp6s0, and pass through internet connection/network access on his Win10 system.

• Your solution is incorrect.

If you can not plug both computers directly into the router, then plug both computers into a small switch and plug the switch into the router. You can pick up a five port switch for very little money.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I understand that would solve the issue... I just thought that I could save a few bucks and provide internet connection to his computer through the server, like I would be able to if it was a windows machine instead of OMV5...

• If you price a 5 port gigabit switch lately, it's $15.00 which can actually be less than a good quality PCIe ethernet card.

If you really insist on doing this the hard way, bridging is incorrect. Use this method:

https://medium.com/@TarunChinm…ver-ethernet-a5cbbd775a4f

OMV may not allow the changes to stick, even if you can get it working.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!