OMV 5 - RAM shrinks when using SnapRAID

• Hi all

I have OMV 5 version installed couple of weeks ago. When I run the snapraid command to sync suddenly RAM amount shrinks, from 18GB to 15GB and then 13GB and sometimes 12GB.

Hosting it on Proxmox.

All the disks are used in Snapraid with scsi10 being parity and scsi1 - scsi9 are content drives.

I try to run initial snapraid sync command, the job should take about 60h to finish and each time, couple days into the task, just before it should finish its being killed.

Every time I rerun Snapraid sync it starts from the beginning and now I must wait another couple of days to hopefully finish. But it never does.

I can only assume its because the RAM amount shrinks so much the Snapraid breaks.

Why is this happening ?

Thanks and stay safe people

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • bazookas

Hat den Titel des Themas von „OMV 5 - RAM is dynamically shrinking“ zu „OMV 5 - RAM shrinks when using SnapRAID“ geändert.
  • votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Anyone ? No one encountered anything like this before? Is this a bug I can report ?

EDIT:

I have now created OMV4 VM in proxmox and passtrhough all the disk to it from my OMV5 vm.

Everything is exactly the same as on OMV5 and I have started SnaprRAID sync.

So far so good, no memory issues, no memory shrinkage.

Will report in cca 2-3 days if the sync finishes.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von bazookas () aus folgendem Grund: New info provided

• There is nothing wrong. It is not unusual to see RAM usage increase when starting additional applications.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Check the 2.,3. & 4. picture and the amount of ALL RAM omv reports to have it in each of the picture.

It goes from 18.13GB to 13.46GB and to 12.82GB

• Wait until Linux reports ALL your memory is used. That's not unusual either.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• If I install 16GB to my new PC and boot it up, I expect to see OS reporting 16GB ram installed when I boot up and no mater how many GB apps use, OS should still report 16GB is installed into PC.

Not 14.43GB or 11.98GB or whatever. If thats normal then I dont know anymore

EDIT: and subquestion: why does that not happen in OMV4 ? Only in OMV5 as far as I can tell

• bazookas you seem to be using KVM with a Linux 5.8.0 kernel.

Looks to me like an unpatched bleeding edge kernel

OMV5 is build using SALT stack and there are many working installations on 5.4 proxmox kernel

What evidence can you offer to support the claim "devs have some work with OMV5"?

The screenshots are unfortunately not enough evidence.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• OMV reports 5.8.0 kernel

OMV4 reports 4.19.0

when in fact its 5.4.78

Is it normal that 2 different OMV versions are reporting different kernels on same Proxmox node ?

• OK I completely misunderstood how the report works. My bad

But my Proxmox is updated to latest

And I dont know what more evidence I should provide, to me those screenshots are self-evident

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!