Need help understanding and setting up Dockers for Brand new install.

• I'm sorry this post my be in the wrong place. I cant figure out if this is a install issue or what yet. I'm coming from a FreeNas enviroment I started that at version 9 something. And setup a simple plex media server and just did updates a upgraded a few times. But never had any big issues and I barley had any need to get in and use the CLI or putty maybe a few times but nothing major.

I had a custom computer I made last year I didn't end up using. So I added some extra spare hard drives and loaded OpenMediaVault to planning to move off my Freenas box.

I'm sorry again getting off topic.

I need help setting up Dockers and using these templates.
    TechoDad does some really great simple video BTW. But it's not really matching up to a new install of OpenMediaVault. I really wanted to go this route VS Freenas. Cause the Dockers choices look way better than what FreeNas calls Plugin's. Granted I'm sure there is some major differences.

But I really wanted to run Plex and get rid of my little RasberyPi I use for Pi-Hole. And push these into OpenMediaVault.

My Setup is pretty simple and I'm not planning on doing a lot more than what I got right now.

I'm running a AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with GPU 32GB ram

a NVME 256GB a 240gig SSD and 3 - 5TB SATA drives.

I'm not going to buy new hardware if I cant use this or get too much crap about it. I just say screw using this and find a different product and give this software choice the finger.

So how do I set this up and should I install the Dockers to my 240gig SSD and move that to be the source. or just install things as the defaults pop up?

I did see like how I could define the dockers install path. I didn't know if I should do that or not. Or if I should just keep the defaults. Cause I have OpenMediaVault installed on my NVME already. Also once I install Dockers do I need Portainter? or do I just use Yacht? Or should I reload and use a earlier version where I can find more guides that can help me set this up easier? I'm just very lost on how to make this all work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I understand correctly, you have the NVME with 240 GB as OS drive. That should be enough for the docker base path as well.

Regarding guides for plex and docker in general have a look at the guides forum, e.g.

[How-To] Install Plex Media Server (PMS) container using OMV and docker-compose

I am using Portainer or CLI for docker. You can also try Yacht in parallel, if you like.

• Ok I think I'm still figuring it out. I figured out how to install a docker today. I followed the video for setting up Dockerstarter I think it was.

That's a little tricky and it didn't really help me set up all the global prams very well. I know I must sound like I dont know much. I'm just use to some of the easier settings that FreeNAS did. I think I like most of the settings in OpenMediaVault better. But right now I'm really struggling with the network settings and like how to Name my Plex Host in DockerStarter. I cant seams to change any of those settings in any kind of GUI after its created in Dockerstarter. Same with network. I cant seam to change that either. I need to figure out how I can maybe create a small DHCP pool or a way I can like change the IP address of the Docker. This is very frustrating.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know Dockerstarter, but maybe this helps you with Portainer:

https://codeopolis.com/posts/beginners-guide-to-portainer/

To edit settings of an existing container in Portainer:

• go to the container details page in Portainer
    • in the top in the middle you find a button "Duplicate/Edit"
    • make your changes
    • when done, press the button "Deploy the container"; the button is close to the middle of the page on the left side - not very intuitive

• I tried that but got some sort of error about not able to do edit in a Kubix cluster or something like that. Or something that started with a K.

Anyway I gave up and reloaded again already going to try using someone else's guide or video to get a docker going. If I cant figure it out after this pass I'm giving up. This is my 6th or 7th time reloaded. I like to get stuff right vs uninstalling stuff. Anyway like I said I think this might be my last attempt to get a docker and plex going the way I expected. It kind of sucks that a lot of the videos out here don't match up cause of slightly different versions.

• Ok I just figured out what I did wrong I needed to select local when it came to Portainer to manage.

I selected the wrong one and it kept coming up the wrong way.

I just found a new set of directions before I saw your post that showed me that step I missed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!