First NAS build. How powerful hardware do I need?

• Newbie questions incoming!

I have an old Lenovo SFF desktop (i5-2400, 8 GB ram) that I plan to use as the base of my upcoming NAS. This is Well within the minimum system requirements, but I would like to know what experienced users like yourselves would recommend. More specifically, Would the system benefit from more RAM? Will it be an issue that I use non-ECC RAM? And can I use Plex or Kodi with OMV and use the system to stream my movie library to other devices in my house?

• I'm new to this as well. But after loading and reloading over the past week and 1/2. I've learning that this OS runs just fine on some low end hardware. I'm sure 8 or 16Gigs would be plenty for those 2 things you going to run. with a small SFF your most likely not going to be able to install more than 1 Hard Drive. So your most likely will be booting off a USB which is fine. It just means OS boot would be what it is. I think you should try stuff with 8Gig's and if its just using too much resources then bump up to 16gigs. Also cool thing I found in this software you can limit your docker in how much memory it uses per a container. I thought that setting was pretty cool.

• I'm running an old i5 and 8GB RAM just fine, with SSD system disk and 4x 3TB HDD's.

Plex, Qbittorent, Transmission and Bubble UPNP server present in Docker.

Did not noticed any problems, stats shows, there is still plenty reserves...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need surprisingly little computer power for a NAS that can saturate GbE and stream media. A little RPi4 can do it. At least as long as there are not more than few (one or two?) simultaneous users and there is no need for real-time transcoding.

• If you want a benchmark to reassure yourself how little grunt OMV needs to run well, I'm running 4TB with an ancient i386 intel Atom @ 1.6GHz passively cooled micro board with 2GB of DDR2 @ 800MHz. It's a lightweight setup mainly used for SMB, FTP and as a Plex server. I transcode all my media prior to upload to save repeated CPU grind so all Plex has to do is stream.

Everything is silky smooth because Debian will run on anything and I could probably power the whole thing with a potato.

• MaxNewbie are you still alive and well?

I'd hope for a response.

Performance bottleneck is usually the network (NIC in computer, router & WiFi), as shown in the performance benchmark results linked in my signature

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!