FS and RAID pair

• Hello,

I have some interrogation with File System and Raid. I see that have many forum thread/ blog post / ... on RAID or on FileSystem but I don’t see a discution on RAID and File system (and they are old, + or - 4 years).

So, I am little confuse with that.

1)

XFS, BTRFS or ZFS, have a data duplication mechanism, right ?

So do we really need to configure RAID 1,5,6, JOB ...?

If a hard drive is ko, can this file systems rebuild a new hard drive?

I answer "no, they can't" and "it's necessary use RAID" but it's for verify.

2)

I want to use RAID in addition to the above mentioned file systems for more and more security. OK, but wich FS with wich RAID ?

For exemple I saw BTRFS and RAID 5 it's no recomended. Because when replace a HDD the other disks are very much in demand. so there is a chance (a bad chance) that another will be KO'd before the new one is ready. So with BTRFS is RAID6 is recomended .... (or not https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID56 ? it's always like that ?)

What about other FS?

3)

More generally which FS and RAID pair is recommended?

Thank you for your help.

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Maybe you want to try to include the authors of the initial threads in this

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Same question on my side, is there any recommended FS and RAID combination? Inside the docs I couldn't find a recommendation: https://openmediavault.readthe…torage/raid.html#overview

I have set up my OMV-NAS with RAID6 and btrfs but when I browse through this: https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/101

without really understanding everything I would assume my choice was not the best?!?

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there any recommended FS and RAID combination?

My recommendation would be to use the combination that *you* can recover from a failure. For most users, this means not using raid and a simple filesystem like EXT4.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!