Fsarchiver, dd-Full Disk, or borgbackup?

• Hi, I am still relatively new to OMV5 and Linux in general. I am using the backup plugin and have found two issues. One is that it seems to keep WAY more than the 3 copies of backups I set it to keep, and the other is that I am still not sure what backup utility to use. I would prefer a compressed disk image I can just take and clone to another SD card if something goes wrong. Keep it simple, something Balena Etcher could use. What tool would you all recommend I set it to use? It seems only dd-Full Disk, would do what I want, but I'm not certain if fsarchive and borgbackup could as well and which is most efficient.

Thanks!

• shatteredsite

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Fsarchiver vs dd or borgbackup?“ zu „Fsarchiver, dd-Full Disk, or borgbackup?“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

One is that it seems to keep WAY more than the 3 copies of backups I set it to keep,

Read the description. It is not number of copies. And because of the way the Linux find command works, you will probably get two more backups than what you set it for. I have explained this in many threads. If you want three copies, set it to 1 day.

I would prefer a compressed disk image I can just take

All options except for rsync are compressed. And of those, only borg is not a disk image.

Keep it simple, something Balena Etcher could use. What tool would you all recommend I set it to use? It seems only dd-Full Disk, would do what I want, but I'm not certain if fsarchive and borgbackup could as well and which is most efficient.

ddfull would be best if you insist on using etcher. fsarchiver and borgbackup could never be used with etcher. They work best when you install fresh and then restore the backup over the fresh install or only want a partial restore.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

could you pls elaborate little bit more on "fsarchiver and borgbackup could never be used with etcher. ?"

They both have their own format that etcher doesn't understand. Both of them are archiving files not filesystems blocks. etcher requires a disk image.

i thought that farchiver is more safe/secure as DD.

fsarchiver is very good. They do things in different ways but both are good.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

whats the connection with the etcher? still dont understand?

The other user wanted to use etcher to restore a backup. I was mentioning that etcher would not work with fsarchiver or borg.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!