Filesystem Mountpoint Missing

• OK, but two things:

1. Before I reinstalled my OS it mounted fine

2. If I unmount and remount the drive, I get that error message, but the drives shows up as an option for adding a shared folder.

Are those two things typical of the issue with Jmicron you mentioned?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are those two things typical of the issue with Jmicron you mentioned

'Fraid so that usb to sata bridge chip has caused a few problems.

If I unmount and remount the drive, I get that error message, but the drives shows up as an option for adding a shared folder

Sorry I'm confused by the above, if you plug the drive in, it mounts, Shared Folders -> Add does Elements show in the list to select a device?

• 'Fraid so that usb to sata bridge chip has caused a few problems.

Sorry I'm confused by the above, if you plug the drive in, it mounts, Shared Folders -> Add does Elements show in the list to select a device?

Scenario 1:

I plug in the HDD.

It mounts automatically, no error

Elements doesnt show up in Shared Folders -> Add list

Scenario 2:

Following on from above, I unmount in Gui.

I remount.

I get the error message.

Elements does show up in Shared Folders -> Add list

Because of the error, I cant apply the changes and fully create the share, so cant run rsysc.

Does that make any more sense?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Correct. In option 1, it automatically mounts, I dont get an apply option.

That's odd, because I have a WD Elements 3TB, if I plug that in it shows under File Systems, if I select the drive click mount I get the apply option in the top left, click that, that will mount the drive and it will add it to fstab.

as you can see the drive has been added to fstab and shows as mounted, online but not referenced under file systems

• as you can see the drive has been added to fstab and shows as mounted, online but not referenced under file systems

Maybe something is broken in the new mount by UUID thing?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• This is my Fstab.

/dev/disk/by-uuid/027A5D6B7A5D5C8B /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-027A5D6B7A5D5C8B ntfs defaults,nofail 0 2

Thats the Elements drive.

I notice that the drive is at 100% capacity (from the GUI). Could that have any impact?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I notice that the drive is at 100% capacity (from the GUI). Could that have any impact

Highly probable, I think, but not sure there is a limit, i.e. used drive space which is set to 85% but I've never had any issues and most of my drives never get to 70% capacity.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the problem is the NTFS format. I believe it was depreciated as a source for shared folders because of permissions issues. There's no clean way to reconcile NTFS (Windows permissions) directly into the permissions of a POSIX compliant filesystem.

So,, let's look at some work arounds:

If the USB drive will mount, have you tried using Midnight Commander? MC will allow you to skip setting up shared folders, rsync jobs, etc., on the USB drive, in the GUI.

Midnight Commander is a file handling utility that installs with apt-get install mc

From an SSH client, on the command line type mc to run it.

MC works left to right. Navigate to a specified USB drive data folder, on the left, and to OMV destination, on the right. Then do a "copy" (NOT a move). **If your shared folder is under mergerfs, navigate to the shared folder by going through the mergerfs mount point.**

It may take awhile to copy the data, but that would be expected in any case.

When done, check the destination folder carefully, set an SMB share, look at the contents, etc. Do NOTHING to the source USB drive until all is confirmed to be in place, in the server, and shared to the network.

- Another utility you might find useful is WinSCP. It installs on a Windows client and will let you see the file system on your server graphically. Installing it and using it is covered in the OMV5 Guide, on page 54. WinSCP will help you to navigate through OMV's file system and find absolute paths to use with MC or rsync. WinSCP will also allow you to copy a path (Cntrl+C) and a right click will paste it into an SSH client on the the command line. I wouldn't, however, use WinSCP for bulk file copies. MC does a far better job of that.

(BTW: Installing and using MC is in the guide as well.)

- As an alternative, there's a command line example of an rsync command line on page 61. Beyond drive-to-drive copies, this could be used to drill down to sub-directories as well, such as in the following notional example:

rsync -av /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Elements/music/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA1/music/

This command line example would copy all contents of the music folder, on the Elements drive, into the music folder on DATA1

Again, as it is with MC, you would want to navigate through the Mergerfs mount point to the shared folder.

After all is set up on your server, you might consider using rsync to start backing up your data to the USB drive again. As a small piece of advice, NTFS on the external drive is not a good idea. When all is well with your server with all data restored to it and confirmed, consider reformatting your external drive to EXT4.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thinking about it, doing a drive-to-mergerfs mountpoint rsync copy might be the way to go. Once the data is copied to the mergerfs mount point, you could navigate to a specific folder (music), when setting up a shared folder for music on your server.

• Thinking about it, doing a drive-to-mergerfs mountpoint rsync copy might be the way to go. Once the data is copied to the mergerfs mount point, you could navigate to a specific folder (music), when setting up a shared folder for music on your server.

Thanks crashtest. Thought you could only rsync shared folder to shared folder. How do you do drive to drive (mergerfs)?

I started doing a transfer last night with cloud commander, but that froze somewhere along the way.

So I've gone to plan z at the moment! I have 1, 2 and 4tb hhds. I'm formatting to ext4, and copying info from USB HDD to them using a hard drive dock. I'll hopefully then be able to use the dock to do an rysnc with the ext drives. I'll then reformat the usb drive as ext4, and copy back on the info with the dock. This should be quickest way all round to get around the issue.

Thanks for taking so much time to respond. Really appreciate it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks crashtest. Thought you could only rsync shared folder to shared folder.

If using the rsync utility in the GUI, that's true. Using the command line, however, you can mirror two drives (as noted in the guide) or drill down and go sub-dir to sub-dir. And, as noted in the user guide, a command line can be execute in the GUI, using Scheduled Jobs.

I think it would be best to copy the contents of your USB drive (the whole thing in one shot), to the mergerfs mount point. I'll do some screen shots of what I'm referring to when I say, "use the mergerfs mount point". Back to you soon.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Testimonial: crashtest ’s mirrored backup section of his Getting Started pdf IS a must read. It is found near the top of the Guides section of this forum. The command used in a scheduled job is in my signature. I have recovered from a simulated disk failure using this process without even breaking a sweat.

• Offizieller Beitrag

clara0411

Edit:
    **Before doing the following, you might want to clear out the files from any incomplete copy operations and start with clean drives on the server. If something happens in a copy operation following, recovery and continuing is no big deal. Nothing will be missed. Read through the following and compare to your screens, before getting started.**

OK, first, let's talk about your Mergerfs (UnionFilesystems) policy. Since you have 3TB (+/-) on your external drive, I'm guessing you have a lot of video content. If that's the case you'll want to change from the MergerFS default policy from Existing Path, Most free space to Most Free Space.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First note the name for your merged drive, in this example it's Union1. Union1 is the combined drive aggregation point.

Note that it is still possible to write to the individual drives but that defeats the even distribution of files, according to the established policy which is use the physical drive with the most free space.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here we have the filesystems view which shows the individual drives and the merged point, where the two physical drives appear as one big drive under the label of Union1 .

The following will show you how to reveal "mount points".

You'll want to note the exact mount points for your 3TB external drive and the mount point for your drive union. (In this case Union1) These mount points are what you'll use to construct your rsync command line.

In the case of the Union1 drive, the Device name and the mount point are the same.

______________________________________________________________________________________

With the information from your filesystems screen, in hand, construct your rsync command line. It will look something like this:

rsync -av /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Elements/ /srv/624d06a1-1b70-422d-ad5b-0a5267f0e3rd/

The source drive is on the left and the destination is on the right.
    Substitute in the mount point for Elements external drive (left) and the mount point for the combined Union drive (right).

Note the slash "/" in red. These are necessary to insure that data is copied from the root of elements drive to the root of the Union.

You might consider constructing the line in note pad and checking it over for errors. The resultant command line can then be copied and pasted into an SSH client. When executed, if you get no error messages and files start scrolling by, you might simply leave and let it run. A couple to a 3 TB will take some time. Depending on the USB link speed, potentially hours. It might be best to let minimize the SSH window (do not close it) and let it run, undisturbed, overnight.

Unfortunately, by default, there is no progress meter and if a screen saver times out, you may lose the scrolling files list in the SSH client. The copy process should still be running in the back ground but, if you're not sure, you could reboot and start the command line again. Files that have been copied by rsync, to the destination, will still be there. Running the command again, will pick up the copy operation where it left off.

The way to know that all completed is to simply run the command again. (If the server is still up, use the up arrow on your KB. The command should be in the history list.) When everything has been copied, you get this:

sending incremental file list

sent 685,401 bytes received 1,812 bytes 31,963.40 bytes/sec

total size is 61,894,064,751 speedup is 90,065.33

The synchronisation has completed successfully.

Done ...

If you see files scrolling, at each run of the command line, repeat the process until there is no files list and you get the above.

To be absolutely sure, preserve your external drive until all has been verified to be on your server and shared out, again, to the network. Safe is better than sorry.

________________________________________________________________________________________

At this point, everything that was on your backup drive is now on your Union (combined) drive. You can use WinSCP to navigate to the Union (/srv/whateveryournumberis) and view the data. In the following, I'm going to assume a "Music" folder was copied to the Union Drive, to attach a new shared folder to.

With the Device pop-down, select the Union drive. Use the folder Icon to navigate a data folder.

Select the data folder to fill in the Path field, and give the Shared Folder a Name. (In this example, Music.)

Repeat this process to create Shared Folders for all exiting data folders on your Union drive.

If you've forgotten how to do it, the process for attaching a network SMB share, to a shared folder, is in the User Guide.

If you have questions or need more clarification, let me know.

• Sorry for the late response crashtest. I've used the CLI for rsync and it works great. Thanks so much.

I think I may have a separate issue with connecting external devices to my system. In addition to the previous issue with an NTFS drive, I tried an ext4 and had the same issue. Need to do some more investigating tomorrow, and will post details.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!