SMB 2 or 3 on OMV 2.2.14

• Hi! I have an OMV server running OMV 2.2.14. All my connected clients are running Windows 10, and for Win10 to talk to the servers it needs the additional support installed for SMB 1.0. I wonder whether it's possible to "upgrade" the SMB shares on my server to 2.0 or 3.0 so that I don't need this separate installation on my win10 clients?

• I wonder whether it's possible to "upgrade" the SMB shares on my server to 2.0 or 3.0 so that I don't need this separate installation on my win10 clients?

I think it would be a better idea to upgrade to a newer OMV version. Otherwise the effort arises in the wrong place.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I just upgraded a system running OMV 2 to OMV 4 so it has at least security and bug-fix support till 2022. I'm currently preparing two posts to give some advice about it. If you don't want to wait: It is a two-step upgrade (Debian 7/OMV2 -> Debian 8/OMV3 -> Debian 9/OMV4). Important: Read the release notes for each Debian release, especially sections 4, 5 and appendix A. They will prepare you for a smooth upgrade. Make a backup before each upgrade. The tool omv-release-upgrade will run all steps necessary to do the upgrade. If you understand bash scripting you can also do all the steps manually. I suggest you run the script inside a screen session. If screen is not installed on your wheezy system you can still get it from here and install it using `dpkg -i`. JFTR: As a safety measurement I remounted the data partitions as read-only (`sudo mount -o remount,ro /media/...)` - you will have to disable all services except SSH for this in the OMV GUI.) - before each upgrade. Here are some basic hints:

For the upgrade from OMV 2 -> 3 remove *all* plugins and make notes about their configurations if you used them (screenshots, ...). Also add the 'nofail' mount option to all removable devices in /etc/fstab which have the 'auto' mount option set (release notes section 5.6.1). Otherwise your system might not boot after the upgrade. If your system has not been kept up-to-date you might encounter an error during running `omv-release-upgrade` regarding the installation of the updated omv package:

Code
    dpkg-deb: error: archive '/var/cache/apt/archives/openmediavault_3.0.100_all.deb' contains not understood data member control.tar.xz, giving up
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges", line 250, in <module>
    main()
    File "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges", line 108, in main
    pkg = DebianFiles.Package(deb)
    File "/usr/share/apt-listchanges/DebianFiles.py", line 134, in __init__
    self.binary = pkgdata.Package
    AttributeError: ControlStanza instance has no attribute 'Package'

The control scripts are packaged as xz compressed archive in the package and support for this has only been added later in Wheezy to all tools. If you encounter it, it is solvable. Just report back if you don't know how to cope with it. The upgrade will change the default shell for user 'nobody' to the nologin shell. If you need a shell for this user you have to change it back afterwards. The upgrade might also disable the root login for SSH. You probably want to run the following targets of omv-mkconf afterwards: ssh, issue, localtime. A restart is required as last step to restart all services (and load the latest kernel of course). Before that you'll encounter a bunch of errors in the logs.

For the upgrade OMV3 -> 4: Make sure the system runs the latest kernel 3 or 4 in Jessie (packages linux-image-amd64 for an amd64 system should be up-to-date) otherwise you will run into a world of trouble (see release notes). collectd and rrdcached must be upgraded together or collectd upgrade might fail. Afterwards run `sudo omv-mkconf collectd` and `sudo omv-mkconf rrdcached` and restart the services. You might want to run more of the mkconf targets, e.g. issue, ssh, localtime, apt, cron-apt, monit. There might be more but it really depends on your system and the changes you've been made.

JFTR: I'm offering my services on fiverr to do such things.

Edited once, last by dleidert: Typo fix, release notes hint, added error seen ().

• OMV 4 so it has at least security and bug-fix support till 2022.

Only on the OS/Debian side. OMV 4 is not supported anymore.

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I think it would be a better idea to upgrade to a newer OMV version

Sorry, I was inaccurate. With "upgrade" I meant reinstallation. If an upgrade is still possible, so much the better.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• f an upgrade is still possible, so much the better.

Possible, yes. Recommended, no. Since people should be moving to OMV 5, it is more work to upgrade from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 than it is install fresh. And fresh will eliminate many possible problems.

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0

• Since people should be moving to OMV 5, it is more work to upgrade from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 than it is install fresh. And fresh will eliminate many possible problems.

I assumed that too.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• To be honest, I'd really try to avoid to do the effort of upgrading/doing a fresh install of a new OMV, as:

1. The system is running just fine (and has done so for over 5 years), good work OMV-team!

2. I have a HP Microserver Gen8, where I'm using all 4 disks for the storage (RAID-6). I remember there was an issue where it was not possible to boot from anything else than these 4 drives and the internal USB-header (usb-stick), but not from any SSD drive connected on SATA. So I had a friend that did some hack which involved:

-- Changing the BIOS so it was booting from the USB-stick

-- Preparing the USB-stick, so it's doing something so that it redirects the boot to the 2.5" SSD (SATA) which holds the actual OS (OMV)

3. (maybe this one is the smallest issue) I'm afraid I won't be able to re-mount my 4 harddrives (RAID-6) into the OMV5 without loosing any data

4. There are just so many configurations/changes that have been done over the years, I can't possibly remember them all.

5. I'm just afraid.... :-)

So I'm just really afraid to do a fresh re-install because I'm just afraid I won't be able to get things up and running again (and my friend is not available for this anymore).

• Possible, yes. Recommended, no. Since people should be moving to OMV 5, it is more work to upgrade from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 than it is install fresh. And fresh will eliminate many possible problems.

I'm really curious why people in this forum frequently recommend reinstalling a complete operating system? That is like being pushed back into the 90ies and having to deal with Windows95. If OMV would integrate user upgrade reports, the Debian release notes, and some own investigation into omv-release-upgrade, it would be much more bulletproof and probably provide a smooth upgrade experience for >90% percent of all users. I'm sure that it would cost less time to upgrade OMV and the underlying operating system then to reinstall a complete operating system and apply all the original configurations. While the latter might be acceptable for a private user with few shares it probably isn't for a company. I could also imagine that the idea of having to reinstall the complete operating system and OMV and reconfigure it prevents some users from actually upgrading their OMV version.

• I'm really curious why people in this forum frequently recommend reinstalling a complete operating system?

Have you ever used Red Hat Enterprise Linux? I recommend a fresh install over doing three dist-upgrades because of time and skill. most people asking how to do the upgrade don't know how to fix messes that can happen when doing a dist-upgrade. That said, the one place I really recommend not doing a dist-upgrade is between OMV 2 and 3 because of the switch from sysvinit to systemd. I have done the OS upgrades thousands of times and know how it can go bad to the point a noob can't fix it.

Also there are some OMV versions that do not support upgrades regardless if the OS does. If you are going to remove OMV to dist upgrade then why not install fresh.

While the latter might be acceptable for a private user with few shares it probably isn't for a company.

I will disagree with this because I do more OS upgrades at home than at work. Partly because of RHEL. I do have Ubuntu that have been dist upgraded since version 8 but there is a lot of cruft that doesn't get cleaned up. Fresh installs are nice.

I have tried walking people on this forum through dist upgrades for years. So, from experience, I recommend fresh installs. If you disagree, you can spend the time helping them. OMV can only control so much. I doesn't control apt and dpkg. So, an os upgrade is outside of OMV.

• So, I think this turned a little bit the wrong direction.

To get back to the original question, is it possible to change the SMB version in my version of OMV? If so, how do I go about it?

• is it possible to change the SMB version in my version of OMV?

No if you stay on OMV 2.x. The version of samba is too old.

• is it by default enabled with a newer version of SMB, or is there something I need to do for it to not use version 1?

Yes OMV5 has a newer version of samba that supports the SMB3 protocols.

• To be honest, I'd really try to avoid to do the effort of upgrading/doing a fresh install of a new OMV, as:

[..]

So I'm just really afraid to do a fresh re-install because I'm just afraid I won't be able to get things up and running again (and my friend is not available for this anymore).

I can tell you I just upgraded a very, very old system with OMV2 successfully. It didn't go without bumps but it is possible. The updated system is running very stable. NO issues.

• I have decided to try to do a fresh install of OMV (OMV 5).

The layout of my HP Microserver 8 is like this:

1. 4x8tb drives in RAID-6 config

2. 1x120gb SSD (with OMV)

3. 1x8gb USB (grub-loader that re-directs to the SSD)

If I re-install OMV on the SSD, will I easily be able to re-mount the RAID-6 drives? (so I could basically disconnect them while re-installing the OMV?)

• AFAIK that's the same for all microservers, no

Technically yes, with the caveat that the article refers too, create a Raid 0 with a single drive, I use an N54L and was able to track down the modded bios which allows me to use the ODD and the eSATA connection to connect drives too. But as I use USB Flash drives to boot from I can utilise the server for 6 drives, I could use 7 as the optical caddy can accommodate 2 x 2.5 and 1 x 3.5.

That article is interesting as it suggests the removeable bays still have to be set up as a Raid, unless that's specific for the Gen8 as on the Gen7 my removable bays are set to be used as individual, so eliminating the need for a Raid setup.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!