Reclaiming unallocated space in my install ssd

• Offizieller Beitrag

I noticed I had 2 different plex folders under shared folders. I deleted one of them via my pc and it was 4 gb in size. I thought that would free up space ion my install SSD but it hasnt. Its still showing as only 3 GBs free. Was I not correct? Im going to follow your advice on extending after I get this fixed.

It's hard telling without diving into your settings and drive mappings to be honest for the Plex container.

• It's hard telling without diving into your settings and drive mappings to be honest for the Plex container.

PUID1000
    PGID100
    VERSIONDocker
    UMASK_SET022
    PATH/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
    HOME/root
    LANGUAGEen_US.UTF-8
    LANGen_US.UTF-8
    TERMxterm
    NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIEScompute,video,utility
    DEBIAN_FRONTENDnoninteractive
    PLEX_DOWNLOADhttps://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new
    PLEX_ARCHamd64
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR/config/Library/Application Support
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_HOME/usr/lib/plexmediaserver
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS6
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USERabc
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_INFO_VENDORDocker
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_INFO_DEVICEDocker Container (LinuxServer.io)
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Raid1/Media/Media
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Raid1/config/Plex/config

Not sure if that helps

• Offizieller Beitrag

That looks fine, but at the very least, if appears to use docker containers are stored on your OS drive, and I *THINK* that is where Plex keeps it's metadata (obviously I don't use Plex.. so this is purely from memory when I tested it)

• That looks fine, but at the very least, if appears to use docker containers are stored on your OS drive, and I *THINK* that is where Plex keeps it's metadata (obviously I don't use Plex.. so this is purely from memory when I tested it)

So /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Raid1/config/Plex is the only Plex folder I should have?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Raid1/config/Plex is the only Plex folder I should have?

No, I'm talking about your actual containers folder....

What folder path do you have in the docker plugin of the webUI of OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

/var/lib/docker.

Im asking about Plex bc a new Plex folder just appeared on the install drive.

not really sure how that happened, I'm far from a Plex expert, but like I said...your containers location is probably a big part your problem. Your dockers are getting stored on your OS drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

/var/lib/docker.

Im asking about Plex bc a new Plex folder just appeared on the install drive.

This might save you a lot of hassle... (I've followed the steps after the 'Caution' part, and it works well)

https://forums.docker.com/t/ho…stallation-directory/1169

You could take that unallocated space, format it, move your docker containers folder there, create a symbolic link, and you're done.

1. You've reclaimed all that unused space, while simultaneously clearing your OS root partition.

2. You moved your docker folder off the OS partition, and onto a much larger partition (that even if it went full, shouldn't prevent the OS from booting)

3. You done all this without losing any of your current docker settings, containers, etc.

• With that way no need for g parted? The space would automatically combine into the new partition?

This is what I get

root@openmediavault:~# service docker stop

Failed to get properties: Unit name cockpit-wsinstance-https@.socket is neither a valid invocation ID nor unit name.

I think docker is stopped though bc both plex and transmission wont connect. Connection refused.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You might be able to format/mount the unallocated space in the webUI... not sure on that.

Go to Drives/New, and see if you can choose the unallocated space to put a filesystem on. If you can, do so and mount it. Otherwise use Gparted and then boot OMV and mount it.

Create a shared folder on the new unallocated drive ("Containers")

Stop Docker systemctl stop docker

Check docker status systemctl status docker . At the very top it should show docker as not running.

Follow those instructions, using your Containers folder in place of /mnt/pd0/whatever

Once you're done, start docker systemctl start docker

• Okay so first follow those steps after caution and then try to format and mount that unallocated space

Cant format or mount the unallocated space. It doesnt appear in the web ui

• Offizieller Beitrag

In gparted. Erased like to said. Now have 2 unallocated plus the install. It says the maximum size I can extended too is 44708 MiB. Does that sound right?

http://imgur.com/a/T9bywd4

You're following two separate posts, that accomplished the same thing although differently. The 2nd post I never said anything about erasing swap.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Format isnt available for the 15 gigs. Its only available for /dev/sdk2 extended file sytem.

If you click where it says extended, can you delete it? If so, do that, that should give you 1 big unallocated partition.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. Now the big unallocated is 179.91 Gib. Now I can resize. In MiB what is the equivalent of 20 gb?

OK.

Now you've got 1 of 2 ways to proceed... tell me which you want to do so I know what you're doing.

1. This will probably take the longest. Basically we'll resize your main partition from 44gigs, to.. probably 150-160ish, then put a swap partition on the end. This will take longer, and the system will probably have to run a filesystem check when you reboot. The good thing is, you won't have to do anything after this as long as plex doesn't fill up your root partition (which at approx. 150gigs.. it really shouldn't).

2. This will probably be quicker, but you'll have to follow those instructions I gave you earlier on moving your container folder, creating symlinks, etc. Basically you would split the 173gig partition you have now, into two.. a swap partition, and large 150-160ish partition that will be formatted. You can then move your containers to that partition and create symlinks as i told you above. The advantage of this, your containers will be off your main your partition, so you wouldn't have to worry about the server not booting from a full root partition, should your plex database become humongous.

Edit: 20gb, is approx. 20000mb

• Any idea around how long 1 would take? If we did 2 would that also speed up my system? Just trying to think of pros and cons. Which is easier? With my history of issues thats better lol

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!