Bootloop

• Hi,

Im hoping someone can help, for somereason my OMV system has been stuck in a boot loop since last night, it will boot let you log in and then restart alternatly even if you dont log in it will take about 30 seconds then reboot. Please can someone help? this is the 5th or 6th time in 2020 i have had to rebuild my OMV Pi, im thinking i might have to swap to an actual computer running OMV rather than a PI

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• That's one I never heard. Which Pi are you using? If this has happened 5-6 times this year, I suspect it's either a hardware issue or something you're doing wrong.

I don't really mess w/ the Pi's, so I have no idea on this one. crashtest may have an idea

Ive got the strangest feeling it is faulty hardware, ive been following guides to the letter but for some reason out of the blue something will happen and i have to rebuild

• Here is a list of issues that have caused me to rebuild

• Bootloop (recent)
    • Backup (backed up SD card using Win32 disk imager, back up was faulty and the orignal image would not boot anymore)
    • Power outage
    • SD upgrade (upgraded from a 16GB to a 32GB SD Card, OMV/PI refused to boot off the copied image. Used Linux to copy SD card to SD card)

I cant remember what the 1st 2 issues were. but when the PI is sat on my desk the fans that are used to cool it run fine, but as soon i place the Pi on my "server" shelf the one of the fans will start making failure noises (bare in mind the fans are brand new) when i put it back on my desk the fan still makes the noises. These were fans from 2 differant sellers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is a list of issues that have caused me to rebuild

• Bootloop (recent)
    • Backup (backed up SD card using Win32 disk imager, back up was faulty and the orignal image would not boot anymore)
    • Power outage
    • SD upgrade (upgraded from a 16GB to a 32GB SD Card, OMV/PI refused to boot off the copied image. Used Linux to copy SD card to SD card)

I cant remember what the 1st 2 issues were. but when the PI is sat on my desk the fans that are used to cool it run fine, but as soon i place the Pi on my "server" shelf the one of the fans will start making failure noises (bare in mind the fans are brand new) when i put it back on my desk the fan still makes the noises. These were fans from 2 differant sellers.

Well, I like the SBC's (although I have ones other than Pi's) but not for full time, regular use. I use mine as remote backups. I wouldn't use one for every day use (like Plex, streaming, etc.).. but that's just me.

If I had all the problems you had, I'm thinking it would be time to build.

• Well, I like the SBC's (although I have ones other than Pi's) but not for full time, regular use. I use mine as remote backups. I wouldn't use one for every day use (like Plex, streaming, etc.).. but that's just me.

If I had all the problems you had, I'm thinking it would be time to build.

Yeah, i have just ordered and Dell Optilex to use as a server, once here will install OMV (Plex, MotionEye, etc) on there and hopefully it doesnt give me so much problems

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually SBC's tend to be pretty reliable but they are NOT server grade hardware. The number one issue, usually, is an old or crap SD-card. I learned early on, to use SanDisk or Samsung cards only. You seem to have covered that possibility.

I don't know what model R-PI you're using but I'll assume it's a 4:

The R-PI4, if it's installed in a small plastic case without adequate ventilation, is known to overheat. But that shouldn't cause it to reboot. The heat sensor / firmware will throttle the CPU back to keep the temp from rising above 80C. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to take it out of the case and lay the bare board on a piece of cardboard (nothing conductive and no plastic) to see how it does. If that works - I have a case with a fan and I installed heat sinks on the CPU and other chips. These items are low cost and available on E-bay, usually with free shipping (depending on what country you're in).

If you got the R-PI as a "package deal" from a reseller, the power supply may be suspect. The official Raspberry PI PS for the R-PI4 is known to reliable, with good voltage and adequate current carrying capability.
    Along these lines, if you have peripherals attached, a keyboard, mouse or a monitor connection, disconnect them. They draw power. Further USB powered drives are not a good idea. A drive dock, a self powered USB enclosure, or a self powered USB hub is far better.

As a test it wouldn't hurt to disconnect everything except the wired Ethernet cable to see what happens. It's possible that a failing drive may be causing the problem.

BTW: I started on OMV, using an R-PI2B. It worked but it became obvious to me, for my needs which included client backup, that I should move to a PC based server. (I wanted to get rid of M$ Home Server anyway.) I bought a SOHO server, with ECC ram, that I'm still running today with ZERO issues. As KM0201 suggested, after getting the server, I used the R-PI as a backup device.

• OK so I have figured out what the bootloop cause is, and it's not faulty hardware as it has just happened with my Dell Machine. So with my machine I set it to auto reboot on a weekly basis on Monday at 3am (scheduled task on OMV) last night at 3am I was awoken by a beeping noise which my dell machine makes when it's powering down and powering up and when it's ready to use last night it kept cycling through this until I forced powered it off by the button. Turned it on again and the same thing. How do I go in an delete the scheduled task? As I literally have about 30 seconds before it restarts? OMV first aid?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Scheduled jobs are triggered by /etc/cron.d/openmediavault-userdefined.

So you can either boot into recovery mode, mount the drive on a Linux live distro or connect it to a Linux laptop/desktop and commend out this job in that file.

If that is working you need to remove the job from the GUI of OMV (it will be still visible there and will be re-enabled once you edit/change/delete any scheduled job)

• Scheduled jobs are triggered by /etc/cron.d/openmediavault-userdefined.

So you can either boot into recovery mode, mount the drive on a Linux live distro or connect it to a Linux laptop/desktop and commend out this job in that file.

If that is working you need to remove the job from the GUI of OMV (it will be still visible there and will be re-enabled once you edit/change/delete any scheduled job)

Thanks, when you say recovery Im assuming that's an option in OMV first aid? also how do I command out a job?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks, when you say recovery Im assuming that's an option in OMV first aid?

No, when booting you get the grub menu, where you can select recovery mode. That is for amd64, not working for arm.

also how do I command out a job?

open the file with an editor (e.g. nano) and put a "#" in front of the line you want to comment out

then save the file (in nano with Ctrl+x and then y)

• No, when booting you get the grub menu, where you can select recovery mode. That is for amd64, not working for arm.

open the file with an editor (e.g. nano) and put a "#" in front of the line you want to comment out

then save the file (in nano with Ctrl+x and then y)

Thank you for your help, i used Ubuntu terminal to mount and nano to go the file but line was not there? i then booted the device an used recovery to navigate to the file and still the same i then rebooted and it worked fine i delted the scheduled task but then i got a email telling me

What do i do?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This mail is just telling you that the service rrdcached is running.

Nothing to worry. Good news ;)

but line was not there?

And what was there? If the file was empty you opened the wrong file

If there is text in that file, please post the content here (copy + paste using the </> Icon)

• Sorry about the late reply so i typed this

and got this

everything is working fine now, i did try and set another schduled reboot but the same thing happened? unsure why this happening but i guess i will just anually reboot once or twice a month.

Thank you again

• Offizieller Beitrag

i did try and set another schduled reboot but the same thing happened?

Maybe post a screenshot here. Usually it is putting an * instead of a number. If you have an * in hour it will run every hour, if you put 2 it will run at 2 AM.

• Hey,

So here i set up a new reboot schdule "Power Manasgement > Scheduled Jobs > Add"

but if i go to "nano /etc/cron.d/openmediavault-userdefined"

the schdule is not there??? im wondering if i delete it from "Scheduled jobs" and type it in to "/etc/cron.d/openmediavault-userdefined" if it would work? but im not sure on what to type all i get is this in the file

# This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)

# WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.

SHELL=/bin/sh

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# m h dom mon dow user command

• Offizieller Beitrag

"Power Manasgement > Scheduled Jobs > Add"

Those jobs are in /etc/cron.d/openmediavault-powermanagement.

You need to set a value for "minute", e.g. 5, otherwise it will reboot every minute

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's your problem I bet.. If it schedules like rsync (which it sounds like it does)... that first *, needs to be a 0, so 0 1 * * 6.. With the * in that first slot.. basically the job will run over and over until the 1 hour is complete. Not sure how that 6 will effect all this.

So.. just power it off until the 1 hour is over, when you're done, boot it up, and change that first star to 0. This will tell it power down at 0min of the 1 hour, and thats it. Put 15 there, and you'll be in your boot loop for 15min for the 1 hour. It's weird till you get the hang of it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!