How to upgrade QEMU/KVM to a newer Version? Cockpit

• Hello,

i´m looking forward to virtualize a HomeAssistant Installation via QEMU/KVM.

The Problem here is, that the HomeAssistant Image needs a UEFI bootloader.

This type of bootloader can be checked in Cockpit.

But it needs qemu Version 4. XX or higher.

The apt upgrade says: newest version installed (3.1)

So how do i update QEMU to newest Version (5.2 or 5.1)?

:saint:

• Offizieller Beitrag

o how do i update QEMU to newest Version (5.2 or 5.1)?

You can get 5.0 from buster backports. CentOS 8 Stream had no problems booting with q35 uefi.

sudo apt-get -t buster-backports install qemu qemu-system-common qemu-system-data qemu-system-x86 qemu-utils

Just a note that qemu-kvm is at 3.1 and can probably be removed - qemu-system-x86 is used instead.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

So now after updating to 5.0. It still doesn´t work.

There isn't a good way to install a newer version of qemu. Would be a question for the cockpit team.

I checked virsh domcapabilitys, but there was just the 440 machine but not the the q35 displayed.

Not sure about that one.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• You can get 5.0 from buster backports. CentOS 8 Stream had no problems booting with q35 uefi.

sudo apt-get -t buster-backports install qemu qemu-system-common qemu-system-data qemu-system-x86 qemu-utils

Just a note that qemu-kvm is at 3.1 and can probably be removed - qemu-system-x86 is used instead.

How can i remove qemu-kvm 3.1 and change the machine to qemu-system-x86?

Done already apt remove qemu-kvm 

I got everything running, besides that i can´t boot a VM with uefi in cockpit?.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can i remove qemu-kvm 3.1 and change the machine to qemu-system-x86?

Done already apt remove qemu-kvm

I got everything running, besides that i can´t boot a VM with uefi in cockpit?.

qemu-kvm is just a virtual package. It isn't really doing anything. Not sure why you can't boot a VM with uefi. I don't normally use cockpit.

• Got it going.

I just virshed into the xml and inserted the following into the <os> Tag:

<loader readonly='yes' type='rom'>/usr/share/ovmf/OVMF.fd</loader> 

Link to complete solution

Thanks for your help! (Stuck 10 Hours or so for this problem, im not a born it-star :D)

The questions, which are not awnsered:

1. Why cockpit does not show the firmware dropdown like described in the link above?

2. What was the real problem behind all this?

Anyway thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why cockpit does not show the firmware dropdown like described in the link above?

Either it is an older version of cockpit from Debian repos or something Debian specific. Cockpit is a RedHat product. So, I'm not really surprised when something doesn't work quite right on Debian.

What was the real problem behind all this?

Probably same answer as why the firmware dropdown doesn't show up. I will change omv-extras to pin the newer qemu versions from buster backports but not much I can do about the firmware issue.

• How can i remove qemu-kvm 3.1 and change the machine to qemu-system-x86?

i can´t boot a VM with uefi in cockpit?.

you noticed that this forum is about OMV, right?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• You can get 5.0 from buster backports. CentOS 8 Stream had no problems booting with q35 uefi.

Hello! :) Sorry to randomly jump on to an older post but I just wanted to add something here in case anyone else happens to come across this post via Google when searching for how to update QEMU to a newer version than is currently available in the regular repositories...

I followed the directions above and while everything was successfully installed, QEMU would no longer launch and gave the following error:

qemu-system-x86_64: failed to initialize module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qemu/ui-gtk.so note: only modules from the same build can be loaded. qemu-system-x86_64: display 'gtk' is not available.

It took me several hours to figure out that I also needed to update/reinstall the package qemu-system-gui from the Buster Backports as well to completely update QEMU on my Linux distro (not OMV but MX Linux 19.4, also based on Debian 10 "Buster"). Truth be told I had never heard of OMV before but I'm now quite intrigued and just downloaded the ISO to check it out! :)

So, for me, the command that was needed to update QEMU from the default repository available version (3.1) to a newer version (currently 5.2.0 in the Buster Backports) was:

sudo apt-get -t buster-backports install qemu qemu-system-common qemu-system-data qemu-system-x86 qemu-utils qemu-system-gui

• Offizieller Beitrag

It took me several hours to figure out that I also needed to update/reinstall the package qemu-system-gui from the Buster Backports as well to completely update QEMU on my Linux distro (not OMV but MX Linux 19.4, also based on Debian 10 "Buster"). Truth be told I had never heard of OMV before but I'm now quite intrigued and just downloaded the ISO to check it out! :)

So, for me, the command that was needed to update QEMU from the default repository available version (3.1) to a newer version (currently 5.2.0 in the Buster Backports) was:

I guess I missed a dependency. Oops. If you enable backports in omv-extras (should be by default), you won't have to do any of this since omv-extras will pin the necessary packages to backports and install from backports when the plugin is installed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!