Catastrophic Mayhem on my actions,

• Hello,

Please bear with me as I attempt to summarize from the (somewhat) beginning.

Yesterday, I was attempting to move some files from an external drive connected to my tower via USB onto my RAIDarray/server and everything was going fine. Whilst waiting for said files to move (about 10 minutes each) I resumed a different task I'd been working on in this room, for months.

Would you believe, that for the first time in MY life, I actually accidentally snagged the power cord, to-which it got yanked out of the wall, and killed both the tower and the server and the external drive?

Now, I can't seem to log into my server/RAIDarray.

Due to my disabilities after an accident, I already have my own memory issues. Thing is, I've got no knowledge whatsoever about changing my password. But nothing I attempt, works.

I've tried the "you could just....." where it says to go to "omv-firstaid' but that didn't do a single thing.

The server tower is right beside me here where I'm sitting, as is the keyboard and monitor dedicated to it. But I can't for-the-life-of-me figure out a way into it.

Am I completely missing a memo, or is there anything I can do to make progress? PLease, and Merry Christmas

• Cubemin, THANK YOU for replying. That in itself is truly appreciated.

As-it-is, late last night I had received some help from a friend online. Short-version of the fix here, is My Lady happened to come across a piece of paper that I'd written the passwords down on. (As I stated, I have memory issues and I have NO KNOWLEDGE whatsoever of ever writing it down, let alone 'putting it somewhere'.)

Secondly, because of the 'instant power outage' while in the process of transferring files, it took a fair amount of efforts to find out that one of the 5 drives wasn't starting. So after dealing with that one, and getting it going again, THEN everything started to work in unison and cooperate with each other.

So we're back up and running again. HUGE sigh of relief, considering that the RAID was intended to be the 'safeguard' of things important.

Merry Christmas, and memory-problems suck!

• Offizieller Beitrag

HUGE sigh of relief, considering that the RAID was intended to be the 'safeguard' of things important.

This is NOT true. RAID is not, nor was it ever, backup. The only data safety you'll ever achieve is with "multiple" copies. If you have something you really want to keep, you need a 2nd independent copy. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time....

The cheapest and easiest way to get a 2nd copy is with an external drive of adequate size.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You might consider an app to store your passwords rather than pen and paper. Lastpass is popular. I use Keepass2. I keep my database in the cloud on my Google Drive, have the app on my laptop and Android phone.. If on my phone I can open it with a fingerprint, or with 1 "master" password from my laptop

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!