Install Wordpress using nginx - turned to Nextcloud install

• Hi Agricola,

Thanks again for more helpful stuff! Just going out the door on my way to work so this will need to wait until this evening. If only I had remote access, I could do it at lunch time, ha ha ha! So do I need sudo even if logged in as root in order to save the changes? Also, do I need to take all comments out, including the one about the proxy?

# ports: # uncomment this and the next line if you want to bypass the proxy

# - 450:443

... and line 48, should be: xxxxx.duckdns.org, right?

... and what is - SUBDOMAINS=huey,dewey,louie,donald,daffy all about? Do I need that too?

Sorry for the complete noobness, and I am always very mindful of my indents!

Thanks again for this,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are logged in as root, then no, you don’t need to use sudo. In general it is considered bad practice to use the root user, but many do it. When you are logged in as your regular user and you attempt to execute a line of code you don’t have privileges for, you are prevented from doing so. It gives you pause, that you are about to do some serious business. If you choose to forge ahead then you prepend your command with sudo and are prompted to give your root password. Once accepted you can operate for a time with root’s elevated privileges. If you walk away from your work for a time (I’m not sure how long) or log out and back in, then you will fall back to your regular privileges and will be prompted for root password again at your next sudo command.

You don’t need to remove the comments. They do not affect the code. Some yml files have them scattered all throughout the document to explain each lines purpose.

No xxxx’s, just duckdns.org

There is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to setting up DuckDNS/SWAG. The way I have setup my yml file (the way I learned to do it that works for me) gives you the following urls:

• huey.duckdns.org
    • dewy.duckdns.org
    • louie.duckdns.org
    • donald.duckdns.org
    • daffy.duckdns.org

Each is for a different service: Nextcloud, Airsonic, Ubooquity, etc. When you register with duckdns you can choose up to five subdomains. The five above are just examples. I have seen other setups that work, they just didn’t click with me.

I first started my Nextcloud journey in the OMV4 days and I set up my first servers following TechnoDadLife ,s video tutorials. There is a pair of them here and here for Nextcloud. If you watch them you will get an idea of how I got to where I am today, especially with Nextcloud. Some of those older videos don’t work with OMV5 at all but they are still great resources. Watching some of them were how I learned to use Portainer when it first came to OMV.

• Ah, many thanks - that makes things clearer regarding huey and friends. So this is where the xxxx would go from my xxxx.duckdns.org address (I only have the one at present).

Thanks for the heads up regarding the comments, I didn't think it would make any difference but its good to have that confirmed.

Not sure what's happpening with the editing in nano, since I am running as root (I have always known about the root issue so I must get around to setting up another user with regular privileges). It seems that the error is related to the bit that I have changed, so its almost as though my changes aren't taking effect. But let me get home this evening and take a good look at things. I will compare our .yml files side by side and that should guide me through. Thanks again for taking the time to walk me through that by posting your one.

One last thing, and I should probably understand this, but do I need the duckdns DDNS settings on my router as well? I am guessing not, since if the ports are open then the traffic will get through to the server and the IP address will be managed by duckdns there, am I correct here? It makes my head spin a bit sometimes.

Still, very much enjoying the rather steep learning curve lately.

All the best,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

• Its DONE!

Thank you so much, Agricola for being so patient and to macom for the excellent guide. Next: Mirror the disk! Then, install Wordpress!!

Nextcloud looks absolutely awesome!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Nick. :)

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Offizieller Beitrag

Congratulations! Now you have those Wordpress links above that macom posted to get you started. I will be interested to see how that goes. I have four servers in one yml file set up with swag/duckdns. I have one Duckdns subdomain left, maybe waiting for Wordpress. You show ME this time. Take notes and let the forum know how it goes. But start a new thread when you do, and let’s mark this one resolved. You might even rename it to something like “Wordpress, Turned to a Nextcloud Question.” ;)

• Thanks, my success was really only down to the kindness of others, as you guys know. That said, I am working hard to learn new things and for the bits I have mastered, basic as they may be, I am very much enjoying them.

I would be delighted to give back to the forum, so long as setting up Wordpress is within my capabilities - I will certainly take a look though. One day I will give back to the forum!

Good idea re resolving this and let's hope it comes in handy for others. I will certainly be revisiting it again for reference, I am sure.

All the best,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Nick0

Hat das Label von OMV 4.x auf OMV 5.x geändert.
  • Nick0

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Nick0

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Install Wordpress using nginx“ zu „Install Wordpress using nginx - turned to Nextcloud install“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Nick0 Again, congratulations and thank you.

• Hello, its me again and I am trying to update Nextcloud through the web updater but I get this:

Check for expected files

Parsing response failed.

I was going to try the manual upgrade in the user docs but I'm too frightened - will this work wih Docker?

Thanks,

Nick.

EDIT: I have decided that it will work - I'm GOING IN.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nick0 are you talking about upgrading here?

• Hey, Agricola,

Yes, originally, I looked at that but since it wouldn't work I decided to dive into the manu update, thusly! Trouble is, I am now stuck and I have posted on the Nextcloud forum about that, so as not to bother you guys here, but do feel free to get bothered by it if you like :D

Either way, I will update here with any news in case it helps someone else. In fact I thought I might do a manual upgrade guide for dummies for those of us using Nextcloud on OMV5 with Docker, (especially the dummies :rolleyes:)

All the best,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Offizieller Beitrag

from the Linuxserver/Nextcloud documentation:

1. Use the CLI version by running docker exec -it nextcloud updater.phar

macom have you ever used this second option? I don’t remember ever seeing it.

• Hi macom,

Thanks for jumping in once again to try to help me.

Checking the image list in Portainer, I have: linuxserver/nextcloud:latest, so, yes - I guess that's the one you mention. OK, so regarding your link - are you saying that I should make sure I have the latest docker image, run the command: docker exec -it nextcloud updater.phar, and then remove: /config/nginx/site-confs/default?

If so, does it matter that I am halfway through updating it and do I restart the server before doing this or leave it stopped?

Theoretically;), I have a full backup copy of everything on the drive where Nextcloud is that I took with rsync before the update so even if I ruin things, I should hopefully be able to reinstate things to the way they were.

Thanks,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Offizieller Beitrag

So far I only used the update from the GUI. But I understand this was not working for you.

Usually I redeploy the nextcloud container having the "always pull the image" option enabled. Then I check for updates in the GUI and perform them form there.

You can also retry you command from the nextcloud forum by replacing www-data by abc

• Offizieller Beitrag

redeploy the nextcloud container

That is

1. going to the container page
    2. click on Duplicate/Edit at the top of the page (in the middle)
    3. make sure "always pull the image"
    4. click "Deploy the container" on the middle of the page on the left side
  • I'm glad you posted that last entry as I didn't understand it the first time. So much to learn.

I am looking for the Duplicate/Edit button but I don't see it. Image attached for you.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• OK, I checked it and it was already checked "always pull the image", so I hit "deploy the stack".

Then I rolled back what I did last night by renaming the new nextcloud directory to nextcloud-new, renamed the old nextloud directory from nextcloud-old to nextcloud, fired up nginx with systemctl start nginx and headed off over to the webgui to see if it would update.

Now I am getting:

Nginx can not connect to the application

Why is it that everybody else in the world can just hit the update button in the webgui? i mean, I know I'm not some sort of command line guru but do I really deserve this with everything I try? ;(;(;(

Thanks for you help though, just needed a rant. <3

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!