Automatic conversion to merged /usr during upgrade OMV4 to 5

• OK, cardinal sin is that I forgot to run screen, in my excitement.

Anyway, it hung up and when I tried to choose an option in Clonezilla, the arrow keys gave me these characters typed in the terminal:

^[[D^[[C

Now I have no access via the web GUI, I just get a 403 Forbidden nginx error. With no web GUI, I can't tell the system to single boot from Clonezilla, so I can't restore. I still have SSH access via the CL, so is there any way that you know of that I can ask it it to reboot to Clonezilla?

What fun!

Interestingly, i did notice this when I was upgrading:

resolvconf.postrm: Reboot recommended

Errors were encountered while processing:

openmediavault-diskstats

openmediavault-nut

This came just after this (I think):

apt-get install usrmerge

So defo some problem there.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 ()

• Several issues here:

What command did you run? The howto only lists the conversion of the database after the usrmerge installation. So how come you have a failed installation of these two packages (especially since openmediavault-nut must not been installed during the usrmerge step as we have determined). So what did you do? Did you try to install openmediavault-nut afterwards? It would really help if you would list what you did or at least describe at what step in the howto you are in.

If openmediavault-nut tries to install /usr/bin/upssched-cmd to the system after it has finished the usrmerge conversion you will definitely get an error. Two packages must not install the same file. The packaging tools won't allow that.openmediavault-nut has to use a file diversion (I don't know if it does). But anyway you don't quote the relevant error messages that led to the installation failure.

I guess you have run the command omv-salt deploy run nginx? Have you tried to restart the nginx service afterwards? Ditto for phpfpm?

sudo service nginx restart

sudo service php7.3-fpm restart

Then try again. Also you might want to check the nginx log file in /var/log/nginx/...something_webgui... for why it reports a "forbidden" error.

As long as you have SSH access you can do everything you want. However I don't know what you mean by:

Anyway, it hung up and when I tried to choose an option in Clonezilla, the arrow keys gave me these characters typed in the terminal:

^[[D^[[C

What hang up?

Now I have no access via the web GUI, I just get a 403 Forbidden nginx error. With no web GUI, I can't tell the system to single boot from Clonezilla, so I can't restore.

I have no idea how you would tell a system to "single boot from Clonezilla". Wouldn't a simple sudo reboot suffice? That just reboots the system. How would you have told the system to do what you want? Just by using the Reboot entry in the web GUI?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von dleidert () aus folgendem Grund: Typo fix

• OK, sorry this is a bit unclear - let me try to clear up things for you.

Here's what I did:

Firstly, I loaded up the web GUI and configured the Clonezilla kernel to boot on the next reboot, rather than booting into OMV. Then I rebooted OMV, SSH'd into it, ran Clonezilla it and restored the OMV4 installation that I had backed up. This got rid of the yellow banner on OMV5 (by downgrading back to OMV4) and therefore returned things to the way they were before I upgraded and experienced the problems that i first came to you with (i.e. the failed upgrade).

Then I went back to the how-to that I have been using and started it again, from the beginning. All went well until I got the error message regarding openmediavault-diskstats and openmediavault-nut, (I think the error message came after apt-get install usrmerge), but I carried on anyway, since I knew I could just restore back to OMV4 if things went wrong.

I popped out of the room and came back to see a dialogue box asking about stopping services during the upgrade, it was asking for permission to stop services without asking, giving the options of [yes] and [no]. I used the arrow buttons on the keyboard to navigate to [yes] (as I normally do) but every time I pressed an arrow key, those characters were typed in the dialogue box (^[[D^[[C), instead of me being able to navigate to the choice I wanted. I terminated the session by closing the terminal since it seemed to have hung up and I was unable to choose [yes] or [no] regarding permission to stop services.

So, there was no error message that said that the upgrade has failed, more that I was unable to make a choice at that dialogue, so I bailed out.

The idea then was to reboot into OMV and go back to the web GUI, and use the Clonezilla kernel to configure the system to boot Clonezilla on next boot so that I could restore to OMV4 and try the upgrade again. Alas, the web GUI is unavailable, giving me the 403 error only.

I hope this makes things clear to you. I have tried the commands you mentioned for restarting nginx and php, but they haven't helped. I am not sure how to open the nginx log file. I found openmediavault-webgui_error.log.1.gz to openmediavault-webgui_error.log.7.gz, so I decompressed openmediavault-webgui_error.log.7.gz and now have openmediavault-webgui_error.log.7 in the directory but I can't find how to open it!

This must be very frustrating for you, let me know if you have had enough - I can always do a fresh install of OMV and then use that to boot to Clonezilla and restore, I'll get there in the end. I could also maybe run Clonezilla from a USB, maybe I'll try that.

You've been great and I have learned a lot from you, so many thanks and I will totally understand if you have had enough! Promise to report back with whatever I manage to do.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

• Two things: From the message box you describe you are in the middle of an apt-get dist-upgrade, because the message box you describe is from libc6. That's one reason why this error cannot have appeared after the installation of the usrmerge. Further the one thing we determined in this thread is, that this installation will fail if openmediavault-nut is present. So there is the next reason why this cannot have happened after the usrmerge installation step., except you didn't follow the howto. And JFTR: You describe a f... up upgrade which is the reason why I recommended doing these things in screen to not loose the terminal if the connection breaks. So you not being able to tell me what you did is kind of frustrating.

I guess that clonezilla is just a boot option at the grub boot screen. So I guess that if you have local access you can simply reboot and choose it from the boot screen. However:

To save the situation just reconnect to a terminal and run apt-get install -f and post any errors occurring here.

Log files are text files and you probably want to check the uncompressed openmediavault-webgui_error.log (the others are older ones, that's why they are compressed). Text files can be looked at the console via the less command, the pager command, or tails -n 50 (shows the last 50 lines of the file).

• Hi there,

Yes, sorry - sometimes I get mixed up with what I've done and I do try to keep notes on things sometimes, but not always. Not to blame him, but my son has severe learning difficulties and I have real trouble concentrating as he can be very demanding and I rarely get the chance to sit at the computer and really concentrate on what I'm doing. That usually leaves the early hours of the morning to do these things and after a day looking after my son, I'm very tired and don't always concentrate as well as I should!

But I am slowly learning and I will try to keep better notes in future and to take in what people like you are saying. I know its frustrating for you and sorry for that. Like I say, if you get sick of it then I will understand.

Thanks for the info on viewing the log file, and teaching me which one is the latest one, I chose number 7 as I thought it was the latest, but now I understand how they work (that the older ones are compressed). I'll try that later on as I am off out to the park with the family. I'll run apt-get install -f in the terminal and let you know the output.

Lastly, thank you again and I hope one day I'll be able to help others on here in the same way that like people you have helped me.

All the best,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• OK, a bit more info now I am back from the park!

The Clonezilla thing is part of omv-extras that you can set to boot at next reboot in order to a) back up your system disk or b) restore it, you access it through the CL after rebooting. Pic below to help illlustrate:

Because I can no longer access the web gui, I wondered could I tell the system to boot to it through ssh, then I could restore to my OMV4 image and do the update again, making sure to pay attention to things a bit more!

Below are the contents of the openmediavault-webgui_error.log

Last login: Sun Dec 27 11:24:57 on console

Nicks-Mac-Pro:~ nick$ screen

host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:37:01 [error] 26194#26194: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:38:02 [error] 26208#26208: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:39:03 [error] 26222#26222: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:40:04 [error] 26303#26303: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:41:05 [error] 26319#26319: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:42:05 [error] 26358#26358: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:42:21 [error] 26372#26372: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 192.168.1.211, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.1.98"

2020/12/27 17:42:21 [error] 26372#26372: *1 open() "/var/www/openmediavault/favicon.ico" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 192.168.1.211, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.1.98", referrer: "http://192.168.1.98/"

2020/12/27 17:43:06 [error] 26372#26372: *2 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:44:07 [error] 26390#26390: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:45:08 [error] 26420#26420: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:46:09 [error] 26437#26437: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:47:09 [error] 26455#26455: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:48:10 [error] 26468#26468: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:49:11 [error] 26482#26482: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:50:12 [error] 26496#26496: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:51:13 [error] 26510#26510: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:52:13 [error] 26524#26524: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:53:14 [error] 26551#26551: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:54:15 [error] 26569#26569: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:55:16 [error] 26583#26583: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:56:17 [error] 26599#26599: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

2020/12/27 17:57:18 [error] 26614#26614: *1 directory index of "/var/www/openmediavault/" is forbidden, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", host: "127.0.0.1"

root@openmediavault:/var/log/nginx#

By running apt-get install -f, I get this message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

So, if I run dpkg --configure -a, I get back to the screen where it hung up last time:

to see a dialogue box asking about stopping services during the upgrade, it was asking for permission to stop services without asking, giving the options of [yes] and [no]. I used the arrow buttons on the keyboard to navigate to [yes] (as I normally do) but every time I pressed an arrow key, those characters were typed in the dialogue box (^[[D^[[C), instead of me being able to navigate to the choice I wanted. I terminated the session by closing the terminal since it seemed to have hung up and I was unable to choose [yes] or [no] regarding permission to stop services.

... and here that screen is!

This time, I am able to choose 'yes' and I get this output:

smbd: restarting...done.

rsync: restarting...done.

postfix: restarting...done.

cron: restarting...done.

Services restarted successfully.

dpkg: dependency problems prevent processing triggers for libc-bin:

libc-bin depends on libc6 (<< 2.25); however:

Version of libc6:amd64 on system is 2.28-10.

dpkg: error processing package libc-bin (--configure):

dependency problems - leaving triggers unprocessed

Setting up libc-l10n (2.28-10) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of locales:

locales depends on libc-bin (>> 2.28); however:

Version of libc-bin on system is 2.24-11+deb9u4.

dpkg: error processing package locales (--configure):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Errors were encountered while processing:

openmediavault-omvextrasorg

libc-bin

locales

root@openmediavault:~#

Thanks,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• In the picture it states that clonezilla has been added to the grub boot menu. So if you have local access to the machine you can choose clonezilla from the grub boot menu. If you don't have local access (e.g. only SSH access to a remote system) you can reboot to a specific kernel using the grub-reboot command. Maybe this helps.

However I'd try to fix the situation at hand first to get the system in a clean state. Try

apt-get install -f or

apt-get dist-upgrade -u -f

and see if the packages get configured now.

• There could be an issue with the upgrade4to5 script. Based on my statements ryecoaaron has removed the --yes switch from the apt-get dist-upgrade command. But that probably caused the dist-upgrade not to run at all and that's maybe the reason why you experience a dist-upgrade when installing the usrmerge package. My mistake. The switch has been re-added in the meantime.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von dleidert () aus folgendem Grund: remove unnecessary diff after script has been fixed

• Hi, dleidert, thank you for your continued patience and help.

Apologies for the late reply. For some odd reason, I didn't get notification of your reply until late last night and I have had other servers connected directly to the router today and that has taken the one with the problem out of service temporarily (long story). Anyway, all of the work on the other servers is now done, so my network is back to normal and I have regained access to this problematic server.

I ran apt-get dist-upgrade -u -f, and I have this message:

Configuration file '/etc/issue'

==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.

==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.

What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:

Y or I : install the package maintainer's version

N or O : keep your currently-installed version

D : show the differences between the versions

Z : start a shell to examine the situation

The default action is to keep your current version.

*** issue (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

I'm not sure what to do here, so perhaps you could help.

Thanks,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• You can answer this with "Yes". In the original script this configuration file is restored. All other changed configuration files are kept (default action == No). But you shouldn't actually see this dialog. That's what suprises me. But then again, I could be the culprit for it. Try to run

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -f -y -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confdef -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confold"

followed by

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get dist-upgrade -u --yes --no-install-recommends --no-install-suggests -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confdef -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confold"

to finish the upgrade.

JFTR: I've put some work into extending ryecoaaron's script and there is a result: https://github.com/dleidert/openmediavault-upgrade/tree/4. The script can be run from the original OMV4 system.

• Hi there,

Wow, you have put an amazing amount of work in to extending the script, so many thanks for that - its a great thing that you do! I am working through the commands but if this doesn't work then I am rolling back to OMV4 and using your new script!

I simply can't ask for any more of your time, you've been too generous with it. I've just installed OMV5 on 2 new servers that I was given for free and I never thought I'd get the time to set up. Again, this was only made possible by the help of the forum, so I will be donating to the project shortly, as it really is an excellent NAS solution with a very friendly and helpful community (that's you guys). The new servers are both running OMV5 and I will likely transfer everything from the current setup (two very old ex-desktop computers), to the new servers.

That said, I am determined to repair the current OMV4 machine as I can then just r-sync all of the data over to the new servers. Also, I owe it to you after all of the hard work that you've put in and its all good experience for me.

Thanks again,

Nick.

EDIT: Okay, so I ran into some rrors and the web GUI loaded but i couldn't log in. Thanks to that excellent grub script, I was able to remotely boot into the Clonezilla kernel via ssh using grub-reboot "6".

It worked perfectly and the installation is all good again. Its late now, so maybe I'll look at using the new script for updating from 4 to 5 tomorrow sometime. Thanks again for everything.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!