Boot Drive Cloning Frequency

• Obviously, coming from Windows and not understanding the inner working of either Linux or OMV, I need instruction.

Drives fail, no ifs and or buts about them, they fail. So having at least one backup (verified boot-able) image of your system/boot drive is essential.

So forgive me when I don't understand why a YouTube guru would recommend several flash drives and to automate a monthly back-up???

Does OMV continuously make changes on the boot drive to track the "vault" drives? Is there a reason for this monthly backing up?

I can see that if I make changes to the configuration I might want to shortly thereafter make a new back-up. But, monthly with out explanation??????:?:

• Monthly OMV boot drive backup? Not here. I make an automated backup daily @ 3:00am. I keep the last seven backups.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do backups/clones of the system drive when I did mayor modifications to the system or if there have been significant updates. In the end I think it is about balancing the effort for backup and the effort you need after you did a restore to reach your current state.

For gderf the effort for backup is small as he has automated the process.

Currently I do backup of the OS about every 2-3 month.

Backup of data is another story, of course.

• macom, thanks!

I did a clone and it booted, sort've, got an fschk error 4 with a recommendation to run fschk manually.....

I am *so* in over my head... Have to look at taking a class at TECH in LInux! At least I'm retired now... :)

Put the original back in so I am still up and running....

Maybe in two to three months I'll have gotten a go clone? :) BEST To You and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!