Problem to see system logs

• On my system I cannot see the System logs the web function seems not to work correctly.

It claims there are 2001 pages, the first on 18th September, the last is on 10th November. I can't see more recent pages.

I noticed that the syslog was growing without any rotate so I tried to reinstall the system, but after the result was the same.

With journalctl command I can see the today log, but If I try to see the yesterday boot log the system replies "Specifying boot ID or boot offset has no effect, no persistent journal was found."

The system resides on a SD card... But why are the October/November pages present and not yesterday's?

On directory /var/log there are 2 files:

-rw-r----- 1 root adm 18688229 Dec 26 11:45 syslog

-rw-r----- 1 root adm 1004948 Sep 18 00:00 syslog.1

syslog file seems to be big enough to contain more than the daily records.

Is this the correct behavior ? Before the last date (10/11/2020) I could see the log of previous days in the System log function.

Thanks for any help.

• As this seems to be an OS issue, sharing infos about deatils before you installed OMV would increase likelihood of replies

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• As this seems to be an OS issue, sharing infos about deatils before you installed OMV would increase likelihood of replies

OMV 5.5.19-1 now runs on Odroid HC2 with Armbian 20.11.3 Buster (Linux 4.14.212-odroidxu4).

I installed the system on September with Ambian 20.08 that was subsequently updated.

I followed the standard procedure and scripts to install the Armbian and OVM 5 without any problem and warnings.

A useful info might be if other users with the same configuration had that kind of problems.

What files or configuration can I check ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

One comment which might or might not point you in the right direction:

If you used the installation script you are using folder2ram.

folder2ram keeps the log files in the RAM and syncs them to the flash drive on demand or if you shut down the server.

However, if you do not gracefully shutdown the server (e.g. pull the power plug) logs are not being synced and are lost.

Also check if you have zram installed and configured. It is a leftover from armbian and should be removed as it does similar things as folder2ram

Check the ouput of lsblk

log2ram

• Thank you for your advice.

I used the installation script. The plugin folder2ram is running.

I always shut downed the system using the function of "Scheduled jobs" turning it off at 00.00 and turn it on at 09.00 in the next morning:

0 0 * * * root rtcwake -m off -s 32400

it should guarantee a correct shutdown with syncing the syslog on flash drive.

I have not zram

Code
    lsblk
    NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda           8:0    0  1.8T  0 disk 
    ├─sda1        8:1    0   10G  0 part 
    └─sda2        8:2    0  1.8T  0 part /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA
    mmcblk1     179:0    0 29.8G  0 disk 
    ├─mmcblk1p1 179:1    0   16G  0 part /
    └─mmcblk1p2 179:2    0 13.5G  0 part 

The strange thing is that for 2 months (September - November) I can retrieve the 2000 pages of system log that suddenly it disappeared from 10/11/2020 at boot...

After that date I only upgraded the system but I did not change manually any configuration.

As I already said I can see the current syslog with journalctl but not by the webUI. "System logs" function seems not to work anymore.

• Maybe not...

Code
    systemctl status logrotate.service
    ● logrotate.service - Rotate log files
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/logrotate.service; static; vendor preset:
       Active: inactive (dead)
         Docs: man:logrotate(8)
               man:logrotate.conf(5)

After the command systemctl start logrotate:

What can i do ?

• 'Dec 27 12:49:23 arxiv systemd[1]: logrotate.service: Succeeded.

Dec 27 12:49:23 arxiv systemd[1]: Started Rotate log files.'

I would read this as all good :)

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Code
    systemctl status logrotate.timer
    ● logrotate.timer - Daily rotation of log files
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/logrotate.timer; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: active (waiting) since Sun 2020-12-27 09:57:54 CET; 3h 2min ago
      Trigger: Mon 2020-12-28 00:00:00 CET; 10h left
         Docs: man:logrotate(8)
               man:logrotate.conf(5)

Dec 27 09:57:54 arxiv systemd[1]: Started Daily rotation of log files.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Looks also ok. It started the rotation earlier today.

With journalctl command I can see the today log, but If I try to see the yesterday boot log the system replies "Specifying boot ID or boot offset has no effect, no persistent journal was found."

Maybe this is normal as the log is rotated and journalctl cannot access it. Just a guess that would need confirmation.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!