Performance slows to a crawl during and after installation

• Hey guys, thanks for having me. I'm at wits end.

My previous install worked fine at first then slowly became worse and worse, in regards to system usage. File transfers were still working fine. I went for a re-install (to USB again), but the performance during install slowed tremendously! It literally took over 2 hours to finish. So, I tried different different combinations of 2.0 and 3.0 USB sticks, amounts of RAM, and I'm even trying on a 2nd machine now, but still.. horrible performance.

This carries over post-install as well. Sometimes it takes 3-5 minutes to get logged in, and the web-gui? Forget about it. It flies through the install up until sometime during the 'Installing the system...' section. I took a note this time, and specifically it slowed down during 'Installed e2fsprogs (amd64)'. That part has taken 20.. 30 minutes?

Not sure where to go from here, but I'll gladly provide any info I can in order to help you help me ;)

Current machine:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635

Memory: 10 GB

USB HDD: PNY 2.0 16GB or Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 32GB (preferred!)

Mobo (probably not needed, but why not): N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

• Is the storage part of your current machine complete?

If yes, I wouldn't be surprised by bad performance due to the USB2 bottleneck.

The available SATA ports are absolutely preferable over USB

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the storage part of your current machine complete?

This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

For one you're using a processor that is almost 11yrs old (I'm no better, I'm using a Celeron G1610 that is 8yrs old, but it runs fine)... USB 2.0, in theory should run the OS drive just fine.. but you couple that with old/slow ram, old/slow CPU.. who knows where the bottleneck is.

If you've got a SATA port, or are willing to spring a few bucks for a PCIE sata card.. I would try that rather than messing w/ USB on that board.

• Is the storage part of your current machine complete?

Thanks for the replies mi-hol and km.

No, I'm strictly installing from one USB to another at the moment. Funny you mention USB 2.0 being the bottleneck. I was really adamant on getting it installed on the 32 GB 3.0 stick so I would have more storage for containers etc. Last night as I was typing this, I decided to install on the USB 2.0 stick simply because I hadn't tried that yet. After it passed the e2fsprogs, it seemed to speed right up again. Performance was snappy after boot too. I rebooted and let it sit overnight. Everything looks to be running great this morning. Drastic change vs running it on a 3.0 stick. Guess maybe the 3.0 pissed the mobo off lol.

I'll consider running it off of a sata disk, thanks for the advice. I only have a 3 disk array, so I think I have a spare bay and port.

I'm wanting to eventually move it into my ESXi box (which has current hardware, heh).

I have had my 3 disk array unplugged during this whole process. From what I read, I should be able to plug it back in now that omv is completely installed, and it will recognize it? Just need to mount it after it boots?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't say it "was" the bottleneck, I was just saying it could be, when you couple it with everything else on that rig being pretty close to ancient.

Yes, plug the drives in and boot, and you should be able to mount the drives.

• by the time this mobo was manufactured USB3 wasn't even available yet, hence using a USB3 stick has no positive impact

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Good to hear :) Should you re-read the manuals and find the wording that lead you to believe this, please let us know.

We are always looking for doc improvements

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!