Upgrade Scripts for non-interactive major release upgrades (2->3, 3->4, 4->5)

• It is recommended to disable all services utilized by openmediavault (e.g.

samba, nfs, etc.) except SSH during the upgrade process.

Re-mounting /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST31000520AS_5VX086CN-part3 read-only

Remounting is not supported at present. You have to umount volume and then mount it once again.

1. did you follow above advise "disable all services utilized by openmediavault"

2. what file system is used for /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST31000520AS_5VX086CN-part3

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• hi thanks for this guide and scripts !
    but (there always a but) i'm bad in english and not pro at all on linux ...
    So, i have a OMV 4 i'd like to update to 5, i'ive read the 1st post, i don't understand all :/ i see alot of infos about V2 to 3 but not V4 to 5.
    it's recommanded to make a backup, i don't know how to do it :/
    i got on my OMV 4 a docker that's work since 2 years ... i'd like to save infos on it (it's transmission+ openVPN docker) ... another thing, i got a merge FS, i'd like to not lose my datas on it etc ...
    Can someone help me or a guide for dummies ? (or a frenchie here to help me in french ^^ )
    I got another omv on V5 if it can help (i copy datas with RSync every day from OMV4 to OMV5 NAS) with docker too (but other containers)

Thanks a lot !

• I attempted an upgrade from 4 to 5. Here's my log:

omv_release_upgrade_to_buster.2021-08-28-015252.log.txt

It ran for only less than a minute and stopped after:

I had stopped the SMB service before running the script.

Any idea what the problem might be?

I was able to successfully log back in to OMV 4, but, in addition to the upgrade failing, now my shares are mounted as read-only. I imagine there's an easy fix for this in the command line, but I don't know it. Most of my Dockers (Plex most importantly) won't start successfully without read access to the config drive. If it helps, I got several system emails (one for each drive) that read:

Code
    Filesystem flags changed Service filesystem_srv_[name of drive]    

Action:      alert
        Host:        [my server]
        Description: filesystem flags changed to 0x1009

I would love some advice on how to re-mount my drives with read/write access while I wait to figure out how to get the upgrade to run successfully.

Another potential issue: I thought I had fixed the problem with the update repos moving to GitHub (I followed the instructions in Post #9) but I guess it didn't take because when I check the OMV-Extras repos in the web gui, Bintray is still listed. I remember reading somewhere (I don't recall which thread, sorry) that the repos should be updated before running the upgrade script. Could this be the cause of the upgrade problem?

So, things are kind of a mess I guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Yes, as recommended I disabled all services via the OMV control panel, except SSH.
      I recognized that after a restart MySQL is shown as running while it is not activated. This seemed to be strange to me. I saw that there is also a switch for deactivating the MySQL network activity. I also turned off this.

Finally, it didn't make any difference during the upgrade process. After a restart of the system MySQL was again shown as running.
    2. Unmounting the named device seemed also not to be straightforward, because it was not possible via the OMV control panel. I used the following command from the terminal:

umount /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST31000520AS_5VX086CN-part3

I saw no response and was not able to check whether this succeeded or not. But this was probably the solution for performing the upgrade.

So, ultimately I made it to upgrade to version 5.6.14. Whether everything works as before I will check now. What I already recognized is that the network folders are again reachable, whereas MySQL is not available anymore. I will install it again and retry.

Thank you for help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any Ideas?

You should have followed this thread first (post #9) - omv-extras repos moving to github

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You should have followed this thread first (post #9) - omv-extras repos moving to github

Thanks for the fast answer.

I just tried to do the steps described there, but i ran into an error there..

when i try this:

Code
    sudo apt-key add omvextras2026.asc

i get this :

Code
    root@NAS:/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d# sudo apt-key add omvextras2026.asc
    E: gnupg, gnupg2 and gnupg1 do not seem to be installed, but one of them is required for this operation

okay , so i try to install gnupg:

when i try to run apt --fix-broken install i get these python errors:

EDIT:

I tried this workaround described here:

RE: Upgrade Debian 9 and 4.x

Now this works:

Code
    root@NAS:/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d# sudo apt-key add omvextras2026.asc
    OK

but apt-get update still gives error 403:

EDIT2:

After disabling the Repositories in OMV GUI the above step worked.

Now i tried to execute update script again, but instantly failed with this message:

Code
    2021-10-08T15:28:01,931821445+02:00
    run-parts: executing /root/openmediavault-upgrade-4.7/check.d/01-debian-version
    You are trying to run this script from Debian '10.10', not Debian 'stretch'.
    run-parts: /root/openmediavault-upgrade-4.7/check.d/01-debian-version exited with return code 1

I dont know why it assumes that i am already on a different debian version..

• Offizieller Beitrag

The upgrade script (which I don't maintain) probably already upgraded the system and just failed to upgrade omv-extras. I would remove omv-extras and re-install it using the install script.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which Script do you mean to install omv-extras?

OMV-Extras.org Plugin

• Thanks.

I just installed it.

But i think my system ist not upgraded:

Code
    root@NAS:~# cat /etc/issue
    openmediavault 4.1.36-1 (Arrakis) \n \l
    Copyright (C) 2009-2020 by Volker Theile. All rights reserved.

After all the above steps i did an apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade (which both ran through succesfully)

Is there a way to get sure on which exact ovm version my system is running?

• Offizieller Beitrag

But i think my system ist not upgraded:

Looking at /etc/issue is about the worst way to check the version. lsb_release -a and dpkg -l | grep openme are the best ways to determine debian version and omv version.

• Thanks.

So now i am obviously running on Debian 1, but still on OMV 4:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well you can start by removing jdownloader and sickbeard since they don't exist on OMV 5. Then just change arrakis to usul in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ files. The upgrade script might be able to do this but I have never used it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

They dont exist on OVM 5?

Nope. sickbeard was never ported to omv4.

Have they stopped supporting it?

who is "they"? I don't have any help maintaining the plugins. So, none of the downloader style plugins were ported to OMV 5. There are many threads on the forum about how to use docker (which is better).

• Hello,

I have just embarked on the transition from V4 to V5
    Everything seems to have gone pretty well, I just forgot to stop the Virtualbox
    service ...

Code
    root@openmediavault:/etc/init.d# dpkg -l | grep openme
    ii  openmediavault                                              5.6.16-1                            all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-backup                                       5.2.4                               all          backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  openmediavault-fail2ban                                     5.0.5                               all          OpenMediaVault Fail2ban plugin
    ii  openmediavault-keyring                                      1.0                                 all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    rc  openmediavault-letsencrypt                                  3.4.5                               all          Generate free and valid SSL certificates for OMV
    ii  openmediavault-nut                                          5.2.2-1                             all          openmediavault Network UPS Tools (NUT) plugin
    ii  openmediavault-omvextrasorg                                 5.6.2                               all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

but I am having several problems:

* when i do an apt update, i get :

Could this problem be due to the fact that a module is missing in the kernel ?

* The SAMBA part no longer seems to work even when restarting the service.

it looks like the conf files for the shares should be in /var/lib/samba/usershares/ but my old shares weren't copied

• For the Samba part I simply remade the shares in the smb.conf file and it works. (until the reboot i must restart the smbd.service)

Remain the update part with the wireguard module which poses problem (whereas I no longer use it) and the access to the OMV interface on port 80 does not work does it no longer exist ?

Edit :

The OMV site is avaible in site-enable, in the nginx log, openmediavault-webgui_error.log i found :

Code
    2021/10/10 09:23:39 [error] 25424#25424: *1 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Parse error:  syntax error, u
    nexpected '?' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/functions.inc on line 33" while reading response header from upstrea
    m, client: 127.0.0.1, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/
    php-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock:", host: "127.0.0.1"

when the OMV starts up it is relatively slow to start the docker part.
    When I look at the network part I end up with a lot of virtual network card (exactly 12):

the problem of slowness could come from here ?

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G on Asus TUF B450M-PLUS - 16Gb RAM - 3 * 3To RAID5 on LSI Megaraid SAS 9260-8i and 3 SSD in Fractal Design Node 804 Black

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Methy ()

• Hello,

My current version is openmediavault 4.1.32-1 (Arrakis) \n \l - Debian GNU/Linux 9.11 (stretch) on a Raspberry PI 4 8 Mo.

When I try using the update procedure I always get these error messages after entering these commands :

Code
    wget -qO- https://github.com/dleidert/openmediavault-upgrade/archive/v4.7.tar.gz | tar -xz
    cd openmediavault-upgrade-4.7
    sudo ./omv-release-upgrade-5

--2021-10-13 14:30:20-- (try:10) https://raw.githubusercontent.…s/packages/master/install

Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|185.199.108.133|:443... failed: Connection timed out.

Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|185.199.111.133|:443... failed: Connection timed out.

Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|185.199.109.133|:443... failed: Connection timed out.

Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|185.199.110.133|:443... failed: Connection timed out.

Retrying.

Maybe I missed something in the updating process ?

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!