Upgrade Scripts for non-interactive major release upgrades (2->3, 3->4, 4->5)

• What do you mean you are lookinf for ssh and webpanel?

Do you mean sshd and nginx are not running on your OMV?

Did you check systemctl. status nginx.service

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but still doesn't work

I wasn't done. We work in small steps. Make one change and check. Then make more.

• Sorry, dumb question, Is this topic about "omv-release-upgrade" or some other utility? I wanted to read about what omv-release-upgrade does in prep for an omv5 to 6 upgrade and I'm having a hard time finding any documentation. I take it from comments this script will do both the debian upgrade and the omv upgrade. Do I run the version in my omv5 install or pull a new one somehow from omv6 to run? I'm hesitant to run any script until I understand what it's going to do :-).

steve

• Offizieller Beitrag

This thread is about the scripts mentioned in the first post. For OMV4 there is no "omv-release-upgrade" script.

But for upgrade from omv5 to omv6 (which also upgrades buster to bullseye) you can use omv-release-upgrade. You will find the script on your system or on github.

• Ok, thanks! It looks like the omv5 script will default to 6.0/shaitan so I just use the script in the 5.0 installation. How do I tell which plugins are ready for 6? I see all the plugins on github. I guess if something has a 5.x branch then master must be for 6, but does that mean it is ready?

• Thanks for the script, at the end it worked, however some obstacles. Those might be useful to know for more readers and/or the creator of the script. I upgraded (rather late ...) from OMV 4 to OMV 5 on HP Microserver.

Sorry, if this is a repetition, honestly, I did not check all the messages of the 16 page thread.

0. [I'll write about this later, to have the stuff, that might be of more general interest at the front]

1. Error:

Code
    Reading package lists...
    E: The repository 'https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis stretch Release' does no longer have a Release file.
    run-parts: /root/openmediavault-upgrade-4.7/run.d/10-apt-update exited with return code 100

I could solve this, by following omv-extras repos moving to github and restart the upgrade.

Then it succeeded. I rebooted, sort of ok.

2. After upgrade, the hostname was openmediavault, before the upgrade, the hostname was hpms (for HP Microserver). I changed the hostname by the OMV-GUI under System->General->Network->Hostname (I am using a German system, so these are my translations - possibly in an English configuration, the phrases are slightly different.) I rebooted the system by the GUI. When it was booted, it was not accessibly by the net anymore. My router did not find it. The ILO Interface of the Server showed N/A for the NICs. I could still connect to the console by the ILO. I looked at dmesg | grep eth, did not save the output. I rebooted again (no big hope), still no network. omv-firstaid helped here.

a) It seems, that renaming the hostname is yielding in a system without accessability by the network (at least in my environment)

b) It seems the upgrade script will not preserve the hostname. (Sorry, when I have missed this in the docs)

3. I have a strange HD (by USB, NTFS), with a space in the label. This never worked without warnings in OMV, but it did not really influence functionality. I believe some quoting was missing (and some probably still is missing in OMV5, or it might be a consequence of the upgrade path). Now, during booting, I receive a warning:

So, it looks like missing quoting here.

0. The first error, which might be related to my stupid disk with a space in the label (it was delivered like this).

Code
    Remounting is not supported at present. You have to umount volume and then mount it once again.
    run-parts: /root/openmediavault-upgrade-4.7/pre.d/20-remount-ro exited with return code 11

I had disabled all the services according to the documentation before. The solution for me seemingly was, to plug out the USB-connected disks, reboot, and rerun the upgrade scripts.

4. I know, that my setup never was totally clean in one other sense. I have 4 external USB-Disks mounted, mainly for Backup purposes. To save energy, I usually have them powered off. Still, they always have been configured inside OMV. It was working for me. Now, I seemingly have to pay a significant startup time penalty, when the disks are powered off during reboot (that penalty was not there in OMV 4). Any idea, how to circumvent this?

OMV 4.1.13-1 (typically everything up to date), only plugin: flash memory; HP Microserver, 4 internal ext4 HDDs, SSD for OS, SD-Card for booting (can't boot on SSD with 4 HDD used …), external USB3 HDDs (ext4 + NTFS)

• Oops, I am very sorry, my fault, embarrassing enough!

(I really did read for a couple of hours about upgrade procedures, and I did find several sources. I believe, I had carefully read https://github.com/dleidert/op…-upgrade/blob/4/README.md, where I did not see the contents of that red sentences at the start of this thread).

I hope, 0. and 2.-4. from my message make more sense.

OMV 4.1.13-1 (typically everything up to date), only plugin: flash memory; HP Microserver, 4 internal ext4 HDDs, SSD for OS, SD-Card for booting (can't boot on SSD with 4 HDD used …), external USB3 HDDs (ext4 + NTFS)

• Hi, thanks for these scripts.

I am a little confused about warnings you wrote in first posts.

I have 3 OMV 5. which have been installed on OMV 4 servers. As i use HP raid cards or LSI or 3ware cards for the volumes, i deleted all partitions on the OS drive which is installed on SSD, and i installed from scratch new OMV5.

But i have also a few OMV 4.x systems which could be upgraded to OMV 5.x with the relevant script.

I have already ran the omv-extra fix (github) on a few OMV 4 and it works fine.

So what is the best way ?

running omv4->5 script on OMV 4.x already set (shares, etc.) like this:

Code
    wget -qO- https://github.com/dleidert/openmediavault-upgrade/archive/v4.7.tar.gz | tar -xz
    cd openmediavault-upgrade-4.7
    sudo ./omv-release-upgrade-5

or, as i have already done in the past, installing OMV5 straigthly on fresh and empty ssd? (or OMV6 !)

thanks.

• Have a backup of your os disk and try. if it faile you can go back easily and do a fresh install.

Soem have problems some don't,depending how much non-standard things have been done to the system.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Have a backup of your os disk and try. if it faile you can go back easily and do a fresh install.

Soem have problems some don't,depending how much non-standard things have been done to the system.

hi,

thanks. I use backup function on all my omv systems, but i never use the restore function from one backup. Thanks for your simple idea.

i m going to run the script OMV 4->5 on a OMV 4 test system. i ll learn this.

Thanks.

• hey guys, tried to upgrade from 4 to 5 and got that output.

Edit: Any suggestions ho i can fixe that? sorry absolute noob here

• reinstall can be done via be repeating below steps for each package in the list displayed as user root or by pre-pending "sudo"

1. apt uninstall <Package from list>
    2. apt install <Package from list>

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Just set aside time to perform the 4>5 upgrade this morning and after successful completion, the webgui keeps asking to apply configuration changes and failing on: omv-salt deploy run --no-color samba 2>&1' with exit code '1'

This is the output that appears to be the problem:

openmediavault.config.database.DatabaseQueryNotFoundException: No such object: //system/fstab/mntent[uuid='482424a9-286f-4de3-9a0d-655e9588536e']

All drives that were present in the system before the upgrade are still present after the upgrade, so I don't know where to look.

Copy/paste of the error window in the webgui is attached. What should I do next?

failed.txt

• Long-time listener, first time caller. Tried the v4 to 5 upgrade (using script v4.7) after removing all plugins and disabling all services other than SSH. Made sure omv-extrasorg was not installed, dpkg openmedia* only showed openmedia and keyrings.

Script ran for quite a while but failed on updating apt-show-versions:

Error: No information about packages! (Maybe no deb entries?)

dpkg: error processing package apt-show-versions (--configure):

installed apt-show-versions package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 255

Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:

apt-show-versions

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

All further attempts to munge packages just threw an error of "Error: No information about packages! (Maybe no deb entries?)".

Was finally able to get apt-show-versions installed properly and package info updated by using:

Code
    rm /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20apt-show-versions
    apt-get purge apt-show-versions
    rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*lz4
    apt-get -o Acquire::GzipIndexes=false update
    apt-get install apt-show-versions

Looks like Debian was successfully upgraded but now unsure how to continue the OMV upgrade. Started running the post.d files in order but 70-ovm-salt fails. Re-running the upgrade script just states that I'm not running stretch so upgrade is not possible.

~/openmediavault-upgrade-4.7# lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID: Debian

Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Release: 10

Codename: buster

~/openmediavault-upgrade-4.7# dpkg -l |grep openmed

ii openmediavault 4.1.36-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution

ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

Running an `apt update` at this point gives me errors like the following:

All packages are up to date.

W: Target Packages (main/binary-armhf/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch.list:7

Any suggestions on how to continue?

• I would try to fix the repos in /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list./* and upgrade manually, but the info you give is a bit space, so I do not know the state the system is in. The post scripts migrate the database, which may not happen, if you update manually, so you may have to to it manually too.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!