Best way to back up my OMV Server

• Good morning gentlemen and Merry Christmas to you.

I would like your advise to the following matter that troubles me.

I am trying to find the optimum way to backup my OMV Server. My current data capacity is almost 11TB which are expected to grow even more the following months (current rate is approx. 1TB/18 months). Currently i have a backup of my files on a QNAP TS-421 and on two external HDD drives. The problem is that the QNAP is almost full and i don;t want to have my backup lying around in various places. I would like something "clean and tidy".

What i currently think are the following solutions:

1) Buy an external 12TB HDD drive which will be my main backup and format my QNAP to have is as an "expansion storage"

2) Buy an external case that will accommodate 3-4 HDDs. Buy one HDD of 12TB and as the size grows, adding more drives. This solutions also covers the "clean and tidy" part.

3) Build a new PC with the lowest CPU and RAM in a small case that will accommodate 3-4 HDDs, install OMV on it and have it as a backup server. This will also have the function of immediate use, if i have a hardware failure on my main server. I could use a raspberry pi and an external case for this solution as well

What is your opinion on the above?

My current server is an intel i5, 9th gen with 8GB of RAM running OMV, using four HDDs in snapraid+mergerFS

I would love to hear any other proposal as well.

• Build a new PC with the lowest CPU and RAM in a small case that will accommodate 3-4 HDDs, i

Why a PC? I'd go the ARM instead of Intel route to get a much better price/performance and energy consumption ratio.

In 'My NAS builds' are nice examples

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Why a PC? I'd go the ARM instead of Intel route to get a much better price/performance and energy consumption ratio.

In 'My NAS builds' are nice examples

Because then i would need two separate boxes. One for the rpi and one for the HDDs. They only reason i mention this is because i also consider to have the backup solution stored in my office locker for extra security and have it updated once a month for example....

• Well I'd bet money that within the next few months a one box solution will appear for RPI because for other ARM devices this option already exists

An open source approach is here

More options may come here

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• buy a cubed case

Best option is to recycle a old MiniPC like a Shuttle or similar brand, reuse the PSU by using an ATX breakout board

• As a backup solution I bought the cheapest 2-bay NAS available (diskless!) and then equipped it with quality disks. Backup is done automatically from OMV to this NAS every night (using a modified version of this: https://github.com/bashforever/safeback ).

This script looks for files NO MORE being in the target NAS and moves them to subdirectories, where you can inspect them and delete (useful e.g. when you are moving a directory structure with large files in them). But attention! safeback uses for backup the "ignore-existing" method which prevents existing files from being updated with newer versions. This is useless/dangerous for e.g. mail-structures or any other file changing it's content (like database files) and keeping the filename. Safeback has a few bugs, but up to now has not destroyed any data.

When buying a NAS: be sure to buy a diskless version! Those are technically different (or in former days have been) to the ones equipped with disks: a diskless NAS has technology built in to install firmware from built-in flash to a fresh disk. The cheap NAS I had before, was "bricked" when the disk holding the firmware got broken.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!