I just install a new OMV on a new USB key

I was able to recover 6 backup fsarchiver files :

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.blkid

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.fdisk

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.fsa

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.grub

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.grubparts

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.packages

What is the best method to restore them to my fresh installation?

Thx!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What kind of system?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hardware details about storage will be helpful.

Note; I'd never use USB key as a permanent storage media for a running OS

May I ask why it was choosen?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you referring to OMV version?

Nope. In order to restore a fsarchive, you need to use a different system or boot a live linux distro like systemrescue. If you are using an arm device, you can't boot systemrescue.

Note; I'd never use USB key as a permanent storage media for a running OS

Why? I have plenty of systems that have been running for years on usb sticks. As long as the flashmemory plugin is used and you buy a decent stick, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. The normal problem is people use an existing stick that they have had for years or it is just ultra cheap. And if usb sticks aren't good for the OS, then all of these arm boards running off SD cards are in trouble...

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• a quick summary in English (admittedly not the best) but all other technical articles are behind a pay wall

Do flash drives go bad?
    Yes. All USB flash drives will eventually go bad since their internal memory chips can only be used a finite number of times. The other important part of the device is likely to fail long before the memory fails due to overuse since all other components on the USB flash drive are prone to failure.

Which lasts longer SSD or HDD?
    SSDs, especially the SLC or MLC variants, will last much longer than any hard drive since hard drives are mechanical devices.

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

a quick summary in English (admittedly not the best) but all other technical articles are behind a pay wall

Do flash drives go bad?
    Yes. All USB flash drives will eventually go bad since their internal memory chips can only be used a finite number of times. The other important part of the device is likely to fail long before the memory fails due to overuse since all other components on the USB flash drive are prone to failure.

SSDs, especially the SLC or MLC variants, will last much longer than any hard drive since hard drives are mechanical devices.

Everyone knows that. All media will fail. I was asking why you would recommend against a usb stick. I've seen cheap SSDs have shorter lifespans than SD cards. I have 30+ year old hard drives that still work. If you plan to replace the OS disk after 3 years and backup regularly, then it really doesn't matter what media you use for your OS.

• of all available media USB flash has the shortest lifetime from my experience.

• a quick summary in English (admittedly not the best) but all other technical articles are behind a pay wall

Do flash drives go bad?

I don't care about my OS, I use all my other systems (FreeNAS, Home Assistant) with USB or SD cards =) The more important is the backup, I am never bothered with HA or FreeNAS because it is restored quickly and easily.

However, I never restore my OMV with fsarchiver.

Nope. In order to restore a fsarchive, you need to use a different system or boot a live linux distro like systemrescue. If you are using an arm device, you can't boot systemrescue.

Why? I have plenty of systems that have been running for years on usb sticks. As long as the flashmemory plugin is used and you buy a decent stick, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. The normal problem is people use an existing stick that they have had for years or it is just ultra cheap. And if usb sticks aren't good for the OS, then all of these arm boards running off SD cards are in trouble...

Perfect, I will creat an USB boot with systemrescue. Is there any documentation for its use? GUI or CLI?

• Offizieller Beitrag

of all available media USB flash has the shortest lifetime from my experience

With the flashmemory plugin installed, I have working USB thumbdrives that are 4+ years old. As noted in doc's I've written, they're preferred for beginners because they're relatively cheap, they're on the outside of a PC case, and it's dirt simple for beginners to image / clone them for backup.

As I've found over a bit of time, the "quality" of the flash device (be it an SSD, a thumbdrive, or an SD-card) is a one of the larger factors in longevity. But, in any case, backup is far more important than longevity. I'd rather have two cloned thumbdrives in hand, than one supposedly ultra-reliable boot drive. (All devices fail - it's just a matter of time.) For the use case of a file server, I've never seen "the boot drive" as really important. A boot drive can be rebuilt.

• Everybody has the right to have an opinion, so lets agree to disagree on this topic

• Offizieller Beitrag

Everybody has the right to have an opinion, so lets agree to disagree on this topic

The problem is we have spent years telling people it was ok to use usb sticks after the creation of the flashmemory plugin. There is a lot of history of them working just fine for OMV and I would prefer to not go back to the days when people asked if usb sticks were ok every time they install OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Two, so I'm going a bit OTT with four then

Well,, if it's important (my main server), I maintain three :).
    USB sticks are still far cheaper than any new hard drive, AND using a USB port preserves a SATA port for future use.

• Offizieller Beitrag

USB sticks are still far cheaper than any new hard drive, AND using a USB port preserves a SATA port for future use

I would totally agree have been using USB on my last three server setups, never had a problem, + due to their size and price you're not tempted to use them for data

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not to mention the required size for an OS drive: somewhere in the 16GB range, more or less. Where can you find a good 16 or 32GB SSD these days? Plus:

1. Flashmemory plugin
    2. Ease and speed of backup
    3. Price

Seems a no-brainer.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!