OMV5: read/write performance for SMB shares hosted on RPi4

• thank you. Yes, for Laptop. I have a MAcbook running Linux and a Lenovo X230. Not sure if those take the intel card.

I think the Lenovo needs an adaper to fit the card and the Macbook does not support it but I could be wrong.

Has anyone tried it?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MarcS ()

• I'd expect no answer in this forum, because its not targeting Lenovo laptops :)

Looking at the Lenovo X230 service manual on page 75, I don't see an adapter.

Where does your understand stem from?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• adapter

Update: 7Jan2022

Upgrading an ACER Laptop to WiFi6 using Intel AX200, Mini PCIe adapter and MHF4 antenna cables was easy.

HP & Compaq laptops (and some other brands) based on Intel "Sandy Bridge" Generation have a hardcoded WLAN/WiFi card whitelist in their BIOS and will disable any card not in this model specific whitelist!

Upgrading WLAN/WiFi card in laptop of this generation (using manufacturer supplied BIOS) seems therefore impossible!

Reference HP support forum post here

A new alternative to proprietary manufacturer BIOS is offered by the coreboot project

Note: later laptop generations (starting with Intel "Ivy Bridge") DON'T suffer from this issue, because the whitelist approach was removed!

AX200 have a MHF4 (aka IPEX4) connector, while older Centrino 6205 have larger MHF 1 (aka IPEX1) connectors!

This means for card upgrades purchasing of matching antenna cables is required too.

Reading further the need for an "M.2 A/E Key" to "Mini PCIe" adapter is confirmed.

These adapters are named "M.2NGFF to Mini PCI-E" and sell for 2 Euro or less directly from China

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

11 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol () aus folgendem Grund: Upgraded an ACER Laptop to WiFi6

• Hello,

Question about write speeds.

My system is:

ASRock E350M1-USB3

4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

Seagate ST4000DM004 as data drive

Samsung HM251HI as system drive

CAT6 ethernet cable connected

And my PC runs Windows 10 Pro 1909 and I have only one disk with one partition (for system and data) - it is SSD LITEON LCH-256V2S; my computer is a ThinkPad Yoga 460 connected to OneLink+ docking station with CAT6 ethernet cable.

Router: Asus RT-AC85P.

Without settings from first post I have got about 50-55 MB/s HDD to PC write speed and about 60-65 MB/s PC to HDD write speed, with some high peaks at the begining of the copying file (matroska 2,5 GB). When options from first post was applied there is about 100 MB/s HDD to PC and 60-65 MB/s PC to HDD.

I was set these parameters for my data disk:

Advanced Power Management: 1 - Minimum power usage with standby (spindown)

Automatic Acoustic Management: Maximum performance, maximum acoustic output

Spindown time: 30 minutes

Write cache on

For system disk all options are disabled.

Do you guys know what kind of parameters should I add to SMB Extra Options to improve PC to HDD speeds - if it is possible? :)

• Router: Asus RT-AC85P.

when you measured performance, did you disable wifi (to avoid false results)?

• when you measured performance, did you disable wifi (to avoid false results)?

No I did not, should I? This is my common router and I am using it (and I will use it) for some of my home devices (android phones, tv, printer).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von godzinilla () aus folgendem Grund: Edit: I am using NTFS file system on my data drive. Should I move to ext4 for better performance? I am using my system to share files via SMB and DLNA in my network. And I am thinking about enabling RAID feature in nearest future.

• No I did not, should I? This is my common router

yes. other devices will impact peak performance measurements

• yes. other devices will impact peak performance measurements

Should I bought a switch only for OMV device, and connect it to the router ethernet port, or connect switch to the modem and omv and router to it (pc, console wired to router and of course the rest wirelessly to it)?

I will check performance with disabled WiFi soon.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On a RPi CM4 overclocked to 2.1GHz (overvolt to 6 and no gpu overclock) on an RPi IO board running fully up to date Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit with desktop environment remove and Sabrent 1TB rocket nvme, I saw very little difference having wifi enabled (not connected) vs disabled.

aaron@cm4:/srv/nvme $ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=test_nowifi.dd bs=1M count=20000 conv=fdatasync status=progress && sync

20000+0 records in

20000+0 records out

20971520000 bytes (21 GB, 20 GiB) copied, 66.6141 s, 315 MB/s

aaron@cm4:/srv/nvme $ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=test_wifi.dd bs=1M count=20000 conv=fdatasync status=progress && sync

20000+0 records in

20000+0 records out

20971520000 bytes (21 GB, 20 GiB) copied, 67.3902 s, 311 MB/s

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• On a RPi CM4 overclocked to 2.1GHz (overvolt to 6 and no gpu overclock) on an RPi IO board running fully up to date Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit with desktop environment remove and Sabrent 1TB rocket nvme, I saw very little difference having wifi enabled (not connected) vs disabled.

Impressive performance but for a different use case compared to the scenario godzinilla and I are testing.

To illustrate the setup we have:

Storage device <-> RPI <-> Ethernet cable <-> Wifi router <-> Ethernet cable <-> PC

the WiFi router could perform work for other devices or switch WiFi channels at the time the performance measurement between Storage device and PC is taking place. Therefor disabling WiFi on router or using a switch would avoid that potential negative performance impact.

The maximal transfer rate will be about 100MB/s on a 1Gbit Ethernet

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

but for a different use case compare to the scenario

I re-read the posts and originally thought you were referring to disabling wifi on the RPi not the router.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So I have disabled both wireless radios on my router and SMB performance remains the same in both situations. So WiFi radios does not affects transfer speeds in my case.

• Are you aware of IT troubleshooting procedures (explained in https://www.spiceworks.com/it-…es/troubleshooting-steps/)?

• MarcS would you be up to try a WLAN ax200 upgrade as described in updated post #24 ?

• mi-hol

Hat den Titel des Themas von „RPi4 read/write performance for SMB shares“ zu „read/write performance for SMB shares hosted on RPi4“ geändert.
  • mi-hol

Hat den Titel des Themas von „read/write performance for SMB shares hosted on RPi4“ zu „OMV5: read/write performance for SMB shares hosted on RPi4“ geändert.
  • This thread should be unpinned.

why? Please elaborate on reasoning.

Note: NTFS is not recommended!

• well im a bit late, it brought me up from abt 30 to 45 ish MB/s definitely a small improvement. also I am on
    OMV6 I'm going to buy new cables first and if that doesn't work ill pull out the switch and router. ill let you guys know! thanks for the knowledge!!!

• 45 ish MB/s

no required technical details have been provide, so let me guess that a 2.5'' HDD connected via USB is involved.

What cables do you plan to buy?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!