Disks mounted over UI use UUID instead of label

• So I started with a fresh 5.5 installation of OMV using existing EXT4 disks, which were in fact previously also used with an earlier version of OMV (4.x).

However, now it occurs that whenever I mount a disk using the UI it is mounted in /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-<someUUID> instead of /srv/dev-disk-by-label-<label>

Without success I have tried changing the label multiple times using e2label. Manually changing FSTAB of course did what I expected to achieve, but this breaks any further usage of the mounted devices in the OMV WebUI.

The problem seems similar to this one Change mountpoint from dev-disk-by-id to dev-disk-by-label which apparently ended without any satisfying solution.

Any ideas?

• nils-hde

Added the Label resolved
  • To my knowledge, no (if it is formatted as ext4.. if it's btrfs you can use labels)...

As has been said earlier in other threads, you can use symlinks and name them however and put them wherever you want.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• when I installed OMV it was using only UUID names.

I personally just created links (I mean - using ln command) with a human readable label to particular UUID name. The system uses UUID, but I can quickly access directories and drive using labels if I need to.

• If you use the command line it’s

Code
    ln -s /path/to/original /path/to/link

if you use the plugin it’s even easier:

1. Install the Symlinks plugin.
    2. Go to Shared Folders.
    3. Click on one of the little triangle/squares next to a category on a line and a drop-down will appear.
    4. Check Absolute Path and that category should appear for all your shared folders.
    5. You should see something like /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringoflettersandnumbers/media.
    6. Go to the Symlinks plugin in the OMV GUI to create your symlinks.
    7. Copy the last part for your source. Example: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringoflettersandnumbers
    8. Make the symlink (destination) for your file path something simple like/srv/disk1.
    9. If you have more than one data drive create a symlink for each drive. Name it after each file system: /srv/disk1, /srv/disk2, /srv/backup, etc.
    10. Save and apply.
    11. Now you can simply use /srv/disk1/media, /srv/disk1/config, /srv/disk1/Nextcloud.

Try that. There is really nothing to break, so if this doesn’t work for you just delete the symlink and start over. Use the symlink just like you would a real file path.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Hardware: Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1), backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2. Mac user trying to convert to Linux on a HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

Edited once, last by Agricola ().

• I always find "destination" confusing. Intuitively it would be the other way around for me.

I thought the same thing when I was setting up symlinks... I've always done it via command line, but figured I'd use the plugin.. and while it worked just fine, it did seem backwards to me as well. On the other hand, I can see where someone new would view the "destination" as the final target for the link, so I think it could go either way.

I just created a folder called "NAS" on the root partition, and put all my symlinks there. Now for docker, which is basically the only place I use the symlinks, it's just a simple matter of /NAS/AppData/whatever , /NAS/Media/whatever.. and it keeps the clutter out of the /srv folder with tons of UUID's, then maybe several different symlinks, etc.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• The source is where something really is and the destination is where you want it to be. Besides, those are the terms used in the plugin.

It is confusing because you can look at it as the symlink takes you where you want to go; your Destination. :)

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Hardware: Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1), backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2. Mac user trying to convert to Linux on a HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!