Noob question first time try to run a Docker container ShellinaBox doesnt work

• Hello I am new to dockers and containers but I thought to give it a try. I did watch a lot of youtubes about this and searched the internet, but as I am new to this it doesnt work.

I got the OMV extras installed

Portainer is running

In Portainer I did click Containers --> Add container I did fill in the following fields:

Name: ShellinaBox

docker.io : sspreitzer/shellinabox:latest

This container was the most used and usable for Linux

and then I did hit deploy the container, the container appears in the list of containers then I tried to acces the shellinaBox with the ip of the machine in a browser window

192.168.0.10:22

This did not work

then I did take another look at a youtube about OMV and shellinaBox and I also did take a look at the site

https://hub.docker.com/r/sspreitzer/shellinabox

here I did find the text:

Run The Image

For example.

Code
    docker run -p 4200:4200 -e SIAB_PASSWORD=xyz678abc -e SIAB_SUDO=true sspreitzer/shellinabox:latest

so I did fill in the 4200:4200 in portainer under the text Manual network port publishing

host:4200 ---> container: 4200

still if I try to access ShellinaBox with

192.168.0.10:4200

I get an Unable to connect message. I think I am making a total noob mistake and as this is my first try I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help!

• I used the docker run command you posted and it worked perfectly.

You can not connect to this container via http. You must use https.

Try:

https://192.168.0.10:4200

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• okay at least I get a login screen but then I get a login prompt as:

3a19d70ea7ed login:

then I type root but then it tells me login incorrect without asking me for the pasword. what did I do wrong?

• You may want to read the documentation for the image.

The default user is: guest

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hey gderf thank you! I am kindoff new to this. I did find the Environment variables. I will try a www search on "Environment variables". If you know of a good howto I would appreciate it. There are also no users in the OMV gui under Acces rights Management --> User think I also need to write something there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would strongly consider Wetty over Shellinabox if you're having issues.. very easy to set up.

then go to yourip:port and log in

• I would strongly consider Wetty over Shellinabox if you're having issues.. very easy to set up.

then go to yourip:port and log in

Hello KM0201,

Thank you for your reply! well I think the issues are probably because I do not know what to write in the environmental variables. I can log in with SSH in the server that works okay so I do not need shellinabox the main reason I try shellinabox is because it is a small program and I rather start learning OMV and containers with a not too complicated setup. To put it in other words I need shellinabox to learn OMV and containers not to use it :)

for instance

i think I need to change this one:

SIAB_USER The name of the user. Defaults to guest.

from guest to root

or maybe add a new user in OMV and give this user sudo rights or something, I lack knowledge like this that is the reason ShellinaBox doesn't work yet

so If you know a good start point to gain basic knowledge please let me know

• Offizieller Beitrag

Never used shellinabox, so not sure how it works to be honest... If you use the docker-compose I put above, and simply don't provide a username... when you go to wetty, it will prompt you for a username. I'm assuming if you allow root access, you could use root (I don't allow root ssh access)

• I did change all the lines with "guest" for Test in the Environment variables so SIAB_USER and SIAB_GROUP both now have got the value Test. Then I did add a user in the OMV gui with the name Test and gave this user access to the group ssh and sudo. Now I can log in.

What I do not understand is what if I would like 2 users e.g. Test and Test_2 to be able to use the ShellinaBox container? I can not find a group in list with groups which corresponds to shellinaBox . So I can not add the user Test and the user Test2 to a group called shellinaBox as I can add both users to ssh. How would one do this?

• Never used shellinabox, so not sure how it works to be honest... If you use the docker-compose I put above, and simply don't provide a username... when you go to wetty, it will prompt you for a username. I'm assuming if you allow root access, you could use root (I don't allow root ssh access)

Hello KM0201,

I will give the wetty program a try when I have got some time

• Offizieller Beitrag

Heimdall is a simple little docker project. If you set it up using docker-compose you will learn a bit about Debian Linux and the command line. There is a good [How-To] by macom that starts with installing and using docker-compose. You could also set it up in Portainer/Stacks, which keeps you out of the command line.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!