How to mount HDD with OMV by label instead of UUID?

• I'm sad about that. Thanks for the reply!

You can always downgrade to openmediavault_5.5.19-1, mount/remount your filesystems - they should mount by label, if not restart after downgrade and check again.

Downgrading could be performed as simple as:

Code
    cd /tmp
    wget http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/pool/main/o/openmediavault/openmediavault_5.5.19-1_all.deb
    dpkg -i ./openmediavault_5.5.19-1_all.deb
    service openmediavault restart

After you're done you can always upgrade back to current version. It's 3 minutes job.

• You should spend more time on GH ;)

Personally, I would not change a filesystem because of a certain mount point. There should be better reasons.

For me, it's more to do with taking this chance to jump over to a newer filestystem since I am already starting over with these newer HDDs compared to my previous setup

• You can always downgrade to openmediavault_5.5.19-1, mount/remount your filesystems - they should mount by label, if not restart after downgrade and check again.

Code
    cd /tmp
    wget http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/pool/main/o/openmediavault/openmediavault_5.5.19-1_all.deb

After you're done you can always upgrade back to current version. It's 3 minutes job.

Awesome tip there !!! I have been struggling with it all afternoon... had 4 HHDś'with labels like this /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-60b97322-3e3d-4b37-8033-01984c95f62c

when you use cloud commander...... its an ABSOLUTE BALLS ache...

downgraded, added drives etc like you said... and YES..... it took literally 3 minutes :D

• So,

to make a point (and see if this is the final solution):

- New OMV installtion will mount using UUIDand not by label
    - this is a decision made and is not reversible

- if One want to use the name label, have to:
    1) downgrade and remount
    or
    2) use BTRFS as is still recon. the label. (but is yet not an officially recommended file system)

The source of the define change is in: https://www.openmediavault.org/?p=2866

If all above is correct, I guess we have to live with it.

I share the opinion of many others: Not pretty!
    Is not easy to type manually or keep copying such a long path!

I hope there will be a choice in a near future update.

• You can always downgrade to openmediavault_5.5.19-1, mount/remount your filesystems - they should mount by label, if not restart after downgrade and check again.

Code
    cd /tmp

Hi

would that work on a raspberry pi installation as well?
    Same code execution?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is not easy to type manually or keep copying such a long path!

Sounds like a good opportunity to check out the symlinks plugin. When I first heard about the UUID "crisis" I looked into the symlinks plugin. It's really easy to use and can shorten a file path painlessly. Actually, /srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1 is more than I want to copy and paste sometimes. The fact of the matter is changing from label to UUID solved an issue for a lot of users with usb-connected drives. Still, nobody likes change.

• Sounds like a good opportunity to check out the symlinks plugin. When I first heard about the UUID "crisis" I looked into the symlinks plugin. It's really easy to use and can shorten a file path painlessly. Actually, /srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1 is more than I want to copy and paste sometimes. The fact of the matter is changing from label to UUID solved an issue for a lot of users with usb-connected drives. Still, nobody likes change.

Thank you Agricola,
    I assume the plugin is searchable within the OMV. Correct?
    I dont have the OMV handy to check that at the moment....
    But from what you say, it would be a REALLY loved plugin I think! :)
    Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I’m sorry. I should have mentioned it’s installable through the plugins tab.

• Yes, I’m sorry. I should have mentioned it’s installable through the plugins tab.

Hi Agricola, does it happen that you might know a documentation link for the symlink?
    I must admit I am not so familiar with it and the plugin is asking me for folder location...
    I dont exactly know how to use the plugin.
    If there is not, its ok, I will open a forum post for help.
    Thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

Let me see if I can do this from memory:

1. Go to Shared Folders.
    2. Click on one of the little triangle/squares next to a category on a line and a drop-down will appear.
    3. Check Absolute Path and that category should appear for all your shared folders.
    4. You should see something like /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringoflettersandnumbers/media.
    5. Go to the Symlinks tab to create your symlinks.
    6. Copy the last part for your source. Example: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringoflettersandnumbers
    7. Make the symlink (destination) for your file path something simple like/srv/disk1.
    8. If you have more than one data drive create a symlink for each drive. Name it after each file system: /srv/disk1, /srv/disk2, /srv/backup, etc.
    9. Save and apply.
    10. Now you can simply use /srv/disk1/media, /srv/sym/config, /srv/disk1/Nextcloud.

Try that. There is really nothing to break, so if this doesn’t work for you just delete the symlink and start over. Use the symlink just like you would a real file path. If that doesn’t work, get back with me.

Edit: I cleaned the terminology up a bit for clarification purposes.

• Let me see if I can do this from memory:

1. Go to Shared Folders.
    2. Click on one of the little triangle/squares next to a category on a line and a drop-down will appear.
    3. Check Absolute Path and that category should appear for all your shared folders.
    4. You should see something like /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringof lettersandnumbers/media.
    5. Go to the Symlinks tab to create your symlinks.
    6. Use all but the last part of the above path, that is /media, for your folder location.
    7. Make the symlink for your file path something simple like/srv/disk1.
    8. If you have more than one data drive create a symlink for each drive. Name it after each file system: /srv/disk1, /srv/disk2, /srv/backup, etc.
    9. Save and apply.
    10. Now you can simply use /srv/disk1/media, /srv/sym/config, /srv/disk1/Nextcloud.

Try that. There is really nothing to break, so if this doesn’t work for you just delete the symlink and start over. Use the symlink just like you would a real file path. If that doesn’t work, get back with me.

Sounds easy enough.

Thanks. for the explanation. I really appreciate
    I use OMV5 on a raspberry pi. I think some menus are a bit different I think but eventually I found it all.

'Folder Location' would be Source and Destination here, right?
    Will soon test as I recreated my OMV and I will have to add all sort of dockers and path within.

• Hi,

is it possible to use those symlinks as well for shared folders mapping (I didn't found how).

My concern is, that even when I backup disk, what to do when it fails? OK, I can take new disk, restore content there, but I'm afraid that shared folders are mapped using /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringof lettersandnumbers so I still need to create shared folders one by one - not nice :(

Any better way? Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

is it possible to use those symlinks as well for shared folders mapping (I didn't found how).

My concern is, that even when I backup disk, what to do when it fails? OK, I can take new disk, restore content there, but I'm afraid that shared folders are mapped using /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringof lettersandnumbers so I still need to create shared folders one by one - not nice :(

Any better way? Thanks

Yes. As outlined in the 10 steps above; that is what I was demonstrating. I have edited the list a bit for clarification purposes.

• Hi, thanks. I'm able to use those symlinks e.g. in docker, and so on. But my shared folders are still mapped using /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringoflettersandnumbers. So if I have 20 shared folders there and catastrofic disk failure happens, I still have to re-create those 20 shared folders manually, correct? Or perhaps it's bad habbit to have so many shared folders (on one disk) and I should use another aproach? I don's see how to use anything else than shared folder for services like FTP or Samba... So should I have just one samba share published and than use directories and access rights?

Perhaps stupid questions, but I'm just planning my installation and want to make it 'right' from the beginning...

Thanks.

• Why should we not mount the directory to a directory with an easy readable name?

And it can also be done in the fstab.

Bash
    >mount --bind /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringoflettersandnumbers /srv/dev-disk-by-label-prettynicename
  • Since 5.5.20 drives are mounted by UUID and not label any more:

https://www.openmediavault.org/?p=2866

Not sure if it is possible to manually edit the mntent sections in /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and deploy the changes (which would rewrite fstab).

Sorry, but how can I easily enter path to containers now if instead of short label I have to each time copy full absolute Path with serial number? Changed it in config.xml, but got errors, revert back.

fPScaTg.png

Thanks man with beard, did not know about plugin Symlinks and I was trying to avoid add one more plugin. Already decided to move from ZFS to XFS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was trying to avoid add one more plugin

Why? Butyou can create symlinks also from CLI.

If you use btrfs instead of ZFS, you avoid the zfs plugin and labels are used for the filesystem. And you would keep the benefits of a CoW filesystem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, but how can I easily enter path to containers now if instead of short label I have to each time copy full absolute Path with serial number? Changed it in config.xml, but got errors, revert back.

fPScaTg.png

Thanks man with beard, did not know about plugin Symlinks and I was trying to avoid add one more plugin. Already decided to move from ZFS to XFS.

Kind of a silly reason.. but if you were trying to avoid another plugin, as said above just create the symlink at the command line level.

This whole thing kinda baffled me... I understand the reasoning (even if I don't agree w/ it).. but relying so heavily on docker this had the potential to be a serious pain in the neck and I'll only be using symlinks in docker now (whether created with the plugin or via command line doesn't matter to me)

• Butyou can create symlinks also from CLI.

I did not know. It is something like environment variable?

Code
    ln -s <destination file or directory> <name of the symlink> 

If you use btrfs instead of ZFS, you avoid the zfs plugin and labels are used for the filesystem. And you would keep the benefits of a CoW filesystem.

I decided to use XFS, I do not use any RAID, just sync job between drives for synchronize important folders.

ZFS is unstable plugin (already discussed it in another thread, it needs attention), BTRFS is the same, each time I see that you have to setup many scripts and jobs for success using BTRFS, found many threads where people lose data on BTRFS.

This whole thing kinda baffled me...

Because I spent many time for solving working tasks and do not want to waste time for learn all unix command for setup my NAS. I just need solid setup which do not need my attention 8o

docker this had the potential to be a serious pain in the neck

Did not get this sentense at all, I use 18 docker containers and since yesterday successfully with Symlinks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!